It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Just bought a '95 Explorer, and am not sure how to fix the brake light. It has to go to inspections next week. Would a swap from the bone yard be in place?
I did read a couple of posts, and it seems this is not like my '94 lights at all!
An LED bar conversion, a new neon bulb for a $100.00? WTF! Is it that hard to change a light bulb! This is why I am asking, can I do this or should I feel like my ex and ask a mechanic to change a light bulb? LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm... I don't remember how the 2nd gen looks, but on a neighbor's non Ford vehicle we had to remove the plastic trim from inside the vehicle to access the bulbs. I'm looking at my 03 brake lamp, and couldn't begin to say how to open this things. Removal was easy, but accessing the bulbs looks risky.

Just bought a '96 Explorer, and am not sure how to fix the brake light. It has to go to inspections next week. Would a swap from the bone yard be in place?
I did read a couple of posts, and it seems this is not like my '94 lights at all!
An LED bar conversion, a new neon bulb for a $100.00? WTF! Is it that hard to change a light bulb! This is why I am asking, can I do this or should I feel like my ex and ask a mechanic to change a light bulb? LOL.

Bone yard, or car-parts.com is the way to go. Be sure to get the ballast AND bulb when you buy the part, make sure they test it.

Yes, it is a pain in the butt to change this bulb, you have to drill rivets. and remove the entire black trim bar across the top of the window. You can then remove the bulb assembly from the trim, or just replace it from a donor. There is also a ballast unit hidden in there, follow the wires.

If you want to be creative you could open the bulb and put a led strip or board in there.

Thanks for the input 96eb96. The one thing I have not read about is, how to put it back together after you have demolished the rivets! I don't own a rivet gun, and can it be put back together with nuts & bolts? I called bone yards around my area, they cant keep the ballast part in stock more than a couple of days! What was ford thinking, that this part would outlast the truck? Or maybe it was another $ maker down the road for them!

I tore into it this afternoon. I removed the interior lift gate panel, found the ballast and removed the screws holding in place. I found out that the thing is wired direct! I was told by a local junkyard that the bulb is probably good still, but the ballast is the more than likely to be the culprit. I seen three nuts for the brake light, so I removed them, hoping the light would just pop out the exterior side. Wrong! I started to remove the black trim pc on the ext. and seen that the wires were going through two rubber grommets. Now I am stuck. If the bulb is good, the ballast is bad, can I cut these wires? I don't want to sound stupid, but I'm not sure if it will affect the voltage when I splice them back together. I am going to look for a used ballast and swap mine out.
I priced a light at O'reilys parts store today and they want $147.50 for the light bar, thats w/o the ballast! Man I'm poor enough, got to find a cheaper way!

I am so happy I'm dancing in the street!!!
I read on someones post,(i will find out who, and give them credit) to find the trailer plug under the drivers side rear bumper. Disconnect it and clean it real good. I did find it, unplugged it, cleaned it, but did not put back together. What do you know? IT WORKED!!!
The high mount light works fine, man it's bright as all hell!! I am afraid to plug it back up yet, gotta make it through inspections. I did rewire the trailer plug it was a little messed up. After inspections I will try it, cause I need to pull my things to and from the lake!

Gman;

I recall posting the trick about cleaning out the trailer connector when the CHMSL won't light. I was told about the trick two or three years ago by an old Ford mechanic. Seems that the connectors, even with the covers on, tend to fill with road salt, grime and muck. This slurry doesn't create a dead short, but acts as a resistor between the pos and neg, with the result that although there is enough juice to operate the tail lights, there's not enough to trigger the ballast.

I hope everybody with this problem tries this first and avoid spending hundreds of dollars at a garage or a very long weekend in your driveway when it might be fixed in 2 minutes with a pen knife and an air hose!

Mike

OMG just saved me $230.00 bye reading this i vote stickey this what an easy fix

$230? Wowsers.

People search for the led replacement thread if your neon brake light dies. Cost me around $20 to rebuild the light with LED's.

Also be aware at least on my 95 there is 10 amp fuse at the ballast:

ballastplug.jpg

You're welcome, guys! I'm glad to be able to help out!

Mike

I cleaned mine the other day w carb cleaner and did not work and today i cleaned w electric conector cleaner and voala a big smile in my face , it works

Welcome to the forum, balaloca399! I'm glad the fix worked for you. You can't believe how much time and money I've saved just by searching this forum before attempting a repair. I'm just happy to be able to repay the debt once in a while!

Mike

Thanks NJmike!
This was invaluable info! I just wished I seen it first, b/4 I spent the effort to repair it!
I say, nominate for a STICKY!

Hi ! I have a 95 explorer 4x4 V6 4L. my high mount 3rd brake light never worked (I bought the car second hand) I tried to locate that connector for trailer brakes but could not find it. Plz help ... Thanx

dr_azharhayat;

Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure about the exact location on a 95 6cyl, but it will be a covered gray connector in the wiring harness that will be tucked up inside the rear bumper on either the passenger side OR the drivers side. But I would check all along the inside of the bumper from underneath just in case!

Remove the cover and thoroughly clean out the connector... Of course, check for blown fuses as well. As has been mentioned in this thread, there should be a 10 amp fuse near the ballast. You'll have to remove the interior panel from the lift gate to access the ballast. There are threads that explain how in great detail if you search on "third brake light repair".

But find and clean the trailer connector first before going any further.

Mike

Thanx to ALL !
I did find and clean the connector ... still 3rd light does not work. I'll have to work the light itself ... I guess.
Thanx again guys

Azhar

does anyone have a picture of this connector? Is it only on X's that came with the tow package? My '96 XLT doesn't have the tow package. I did find a grey connector tucked up behind rear bumper on the driver side but it only had 2 wires that connect to the rear license plate holder lamps. Messing with it did nothing to restore my 3rd brake light.

I do think it is a connection issue though because sometimes it works as bright as normal and at other times nothing at all. Its not the bulb - but it could be the ballast I guess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This just saved me a $250 trip to Ford...

I failed inspection today solely for this. I've got video of myself in Uwharrie 2 days ago with it working.. WTF EXPLORER!!!

I couldn't find NJMIKE'S original thread, but I hope it's a sticky, if not I vote it too!!

Back