Key Fobs Not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key Fobs Not Working

jpclick

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
I have a 2013 Ford Explorer with Intelligent Access. It's less than a month old. Both Key Fobs no longer work. However, I can approach the vehicle and the doors open and I can start the car.

I can't lock/unlock the doors, remote start, or open rear access (nothing works) from the key fob.

Any ideas?

I have a 2012 Explorer with 102,000 miles. It was purchased brand new at the end of 2011. It has been a rough 2018 with this vehicle with all the crazy maintenance but it is paid for and I don't have a loan. I have spent over $7700 in maintenance for 2018.

Here is a quick summary

89,950 - Replace Steering Rack - $2434.15 (Dealer replaced)
97,055 - Replace PTU - $1895.54 (Dealer replaced)
98,302 - Replace Front Structs, PAX front control arm, PAX front ball joint, Front sway bar links, Rear sway bar links, 4 new tires - $2813.19 (Independent shop)
99,195 - Replace 6 spark plugs, Replace Upper Intake Gasket, Replace PCV - $70 (Myself)
101,085 - Replace Serpentine belt, Replace belt tensioner - $383.63 (Independent shop)

I see the light at the end of the tunnel and now this issue occurs. I have three keys and randomly all three key fobs stop working. The batteries are good. They will not lock/unlock the vehicle. They can still be used to start the car but it is just so inconvenient. I suspect it is a receiver component in the car somewhere that has failed. Does any body have any ideas before I make an appointment at the dealer?

I suspect it is a receiver component in the car somewhere that has failed. Does any body have any ideas before I make an appointment at the dealer?
Do you have a phone charger (or anything else) left plugged into one of the power ports?

Over the weekend, I disconnected the negative battery and walked away for 45 mins. Reconnected the negative battery, turned the engine on and all 3 key fobs work fine..bizarre.

Back