2000 Sport 5r55e rattle under acceleration? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Sport 5r55e rattle under acceleration?

Robman

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4.0L OHV 5spd
Hey all, long time no see.... My green 2000 sport with 5r55e and 4.0L SOHC rattles under load, it sounds like a spray can rattling. I remember somebody saying what that was in the transmission but I forget, anybody able to refresh my memory?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rattling noise with the SOHC V6 is typically engine timing chain related. Remove the lower oil pan and check for broken pieces of tan plastic. If you find them, they are from broken timing chain cassettes. Does it rattle (make noise) at cold start-up and around 2700 RPM while accelerating?

SOHC rattling is the beginning of the end of your engine unless the timing chains are addressed. There are probably a thousand threads on this subject.

Edit:
Something else that can make noise is a broken weld on one of these exhaust shields, though I wouldn't classify that noise as a rattle, more of a vibrating noise. A loose brake backing plate can also make noise. Rule these things out first if you think this might be the source of your noise. Timing chain rattle sounds more like a diesel engine rattle.

If you don't see any broken plastic in the oil pan, the rattling timing chains might still be the cause of the noise because your chain tensioners are weak and/or the chains have stretched beyond the tensioners ability to take up the slack. If it;s the rear chain (passenger side of engine) that's making noise there is a possible fairly easy fix you can do by installing a manually adjustable chain tensioner. Search for "Polaris". In any event, timing chain rattle is serious and if let go the chain can jump-time and bend your valves, or even break. Replacing rear timing chain components requires the engine be removed from the truck.

Agreed, doubt this is transmission related.

Do not ignore this. If indeed it is timing chain rattle that needs to be addressed right away. If the chain jumps a tooth on the gear you could end up with serious engine damage.

Dom

Thanks guys, unfortunately I'm well aware of the timing chain issues, of which yes...this truck has. I remember reading somebody say that the rattle like a spray can was something in the trans as it only seems to happen in the lower gears under load. It could very well be the rear timing chain though. This truck won't be getting the engine out repair needed for the chains as I only paid $300 for it as it needed a fuel pump. Truck is in decent shape with only 213 000km on it and had trans replaced a bit before I bought it. Rattle seems to be getting worse when accelerating :(

edit: 2700rpm? yeah rattles about there.
Cold start rattle isn't too bad, usually the rpms jump up quick enough to get the oil flowing and tension added to the chains. But it has had a mild rattle in the past with cold start for a long while after the truck sat for a number of years.

I never heard of the trans making a rattling sound. Maybe you should post your question to the transmission sub-forum?

I think you guys are most likely correct.... timing chains. Upon further attention I noticed it makes a noise at idle and such also so I guess it's slowly on its way to grenading.

Back