Transmission shifts harder between 2nd into 3rd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission shifts harder between 2nd into 3rd

jhu8

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So I brought my explorer into the dealer in January because my explorer felt like it had a hard shift when going from 2nd and 3rd gear. Long story short, ford said it was normal for it to be a little harder between those gears, especially as the car warms up. I will say, it is more noticeable when its cold and gets better when its warmed up. I wouldn't say it's a hard shift and probably most people wouldn't even notice it, but when compared to other gears, it is more noticeable. Has anyone noticed such a thing with their transmission?

I had been thinking about going into Ford and just driving another explorer to compare. What do you guys think? First I thought I'd get some of your guys opinion and if this is truly an aspect of the explorer's transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has it's share of transmission issues. The 6f series has a history of hard shifts into 3rd (sometimes called delayed engagement or shift flare or other). Some things that I have seen/heard done are replacement solenoids/valvebody, minor to major rebuilds, fluid flushes, TC replacement, module reprogramming, and so on to mitigate the issue.

There's probably more than a few threads here, like this one (Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB) that talk about similar issues with older models and TSBs and the same issues seem to continue on vehicles well beyond the timeframes of the TSB.

My 14 fusion with 6f35 has a noticeably different shift into 3rd than it does with any other gear - moreso under lighter throttle - not so much under heavy throttle or in sport mode. The 6f55's in my explorers have a lot of quirks and really stumble if you get on the gas too quickly after shifting from p-d or r-d/d-r. There was a TSB for 2013 and earlier fusions, but the dealer said there were no updates for my 2014 to address the same issue???

There's a lot of truth in what KayGee is saying. My exploder experienced almost all of it. But my "hardshifting" problem turned into a full-blown nightmare. They've now had my vehicle 7 weeks trying to fix the transmission. I don't even bother asking for updates anymore.

If you can't get your vehicle to pop a code, there's little they will do about it. Take all the video you want but it won't matter if you can't get a code. I was S.O.L until my transmission finally failed.

Transmission Slipping - Updated 3/07/2019 Post #41 -Special-ordering parts...

I don't really even notice the shifting in mine unless I'm particularly focusing on the shifting for some reason.

Peter

I don't really even notice the shifting in mine unless I'm particularly focusing on the shifting for some reason.

Peter

Same here, if I focus on it, I can tell. Especially when cold.

I have a 2018 Explorer Sport and it does the same thing especially under extremely light acceleration. I drove couple of new ones in the lot and even my service advisor's 2017 Explorer xlt, they do the exact same thing. They finally concluded that it is a normal characteristic of the vehicle

Thanks everyone for the information. It makes me feel better. I agree, it is also more noticeable under light acceleration. Which I tend to do.

I have a 2018 Explorer Sport and it does the same thing especially under extremely light acceleration. I drove couple of new ones in the lot and even my service advisor's 2017 Explorer xlt, they do the exact same thing. They finally concluded that it is a normal characteristic of the vehicle
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

My wife a bought new 2017 2.3 EB Explorer with the 6F35 transmission. It now has about 39,000 miles on it. It shifts fine, my only beef is it up shifts to the next gear too soon for my tastes but it doesn't lug the engine so I guess that's for fuel economy. We still have a 2005 4.6 V-8 Explorer that shifts fine at 196,000+ miles but the 2017 is more pleasant overall to drive. I might add that we've done ATF changes on the 2005 every 20-30,000 miles. For the 2017 Explorer I've been an*l about changing the ATF since it's a car transmission in an heavy SUV. I changed the "150,000" mile ATF first at 12,000 miles, it was as black as well used diesel motor oil. 10,000 miles later I changed it again and it was very dark grey, no red color. After another 10,000 miles I changed it again and it was dark grey but with some dark red coloring. I've been using Motorcraft Mercon LV that I got for $5/qt from Rock Auto. It's super easy to change and it costs $20 per change for the 4 quarts needed. We keep our vehicles until they rot totally, so to me the cost of a super easy to do ATF change is worth the $20. An oil & filter change costs more and it more difficult to do. Hopefully more frequent ATF changes will help with this transmissions life to reach 200,000 miles+.

Whimsey

A characteristic of mercon is that it darkens very quickly. Doesn't mean it is bad though. No need to change every 10-12k miles.

Filter change on 6fxx requires trans to be removed and case cracked open.

All 3 of my 6fxx trans require more than 4 qts for a flush and refill. More like 4.5+.

Back