Cruise Control issue need advice - 2003 4.6 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control issue need advice - 2003 4.6 XLT

ROBinGa

Reaction score
City, State
Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
So the cruise control has stopped working on the 2003 XLT 4.6 at 177,000 miles. The indicator light on dash illuminates when you press On then Set but the speed doesn’t stay at that level. No response at all. The light will stay on until brake pedal pushed then light goes out, but cruise isn’t maintaining vehicle speed.

I bought the deactivation switch mounted on master cylinder and replaced it last night after reading several threads and Makuloco’s video thinking it was a quick fix. Didn’t work. My factory switch still has continuity when tested with multimeter so that probably wasn’t my problem.

I’m thinking maybe the Ford part SW5957 cruise control switch mounted at top of brake pedal arm may be the culprit?

I found instructions for a self diagnosis mode I copied below and was going to try this. But when I do the first step of pressing OFF button on switch and turning key to run, I get no dash illumination at all. Does this self diagnosis work on 2003 models? By getting no dash light at first step of the test does that indicate a specific problem? Thanks

Here’s the steps for diagnosis mode I found and tried:

Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. FIVE ADDITIONAL FLASHES AT THIS POINT INDICATE A DEFECTIVE SPEED CONTROL SERVO. Release the OFF switch.
Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL. IF THE "ON" SWITCH IS NOT DEPRESSED WITHIN FIVE SECONDS AFTER ENTERING THE DIAGNOSTICS MODE, THE MODULE TIMES OUT AND THE PROCEDURE MUST BE STARTED OVER.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective. If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart for trouble codes:
2 Flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).
3 Flashes - Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
Immediately after the STATIC test, the speed control servo does a DYNAMIC test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the DYNAMIC throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the THROTTLE RETURNS BACK TO IDLE POSITION.
Return ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to the Symptom Chart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I figured out my cruise issue. The cable the cruise servo uses that connects to the throttle had come loose and all I had to do was snap it back in place. I’m wondering why it came off but so far so good and cruise works. But I still would like to know if that self diagnosis test mode is supposed to work with my 2003 XLT 4.6 4x4. I can’t get it to enter that mode described in post #1 of this thread

I have a used servo and cable coming that I bought off eBay so I guess I have a spare if I need it in future....

The self-test should work on the 2003. Do you have your cruise control buttons split up or are they all on one panel, with radio/climate buttons on the other side?

Now that your cruise works... set the cruise and then try the off button to cancel it instead of tapping the brake.

Especially if you have all the CC buttons on one side, I think your off button might be dead.

Hmm that might be, I’ll have to test it. There are no radio buttons and the on/off are on left side separated by the other buttons on the right side of steering wheel

Hmm that might be, I’ll have to test it. There are no radio buttons and the on/off are on left side separated by the other buttons on the right side of steering wheel
Ok, the only real difference is that the ones with the radio are more prone to failure.

96fire - so the Off button on steering wheel controls does disable the cruise while engaged so the button does seem to be working. But I can’t figure how to enter the diagnosis mode. So is the procedure to hold the off button then while holding the off button turn key to on/run position? How long should it take for the diagnosis mode to start up?

96fire - so the Off button on steering wheel controls does disable the cruise while engaged so the button does seem to be working. But I can’t figure how to enter the diagnosis mode. So is the procedure to hold the off button then while holding the off button turn key to on/run position? How long should it take for the diagnosis mode to start up?
sorry it took so long to get back to you. You should start with the key off, holding the OFF button, then turn the key on, release the OFF button and press the ON, then RESUME, then COAST, then SET/ACCEL.

The light should flash when you turn the key on, then again when you press each other button.

Back