Anyone ever just hung new brake pads | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone ever just hung new brake pads

bkcraun

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Has anyone just hung new brakes pads when replacing brakes? I don't have any rotor thump at all so I'm not sure I need to replace rotors. 65,000 miles on the vehicle. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done it more times than I can count, just not on an explorer.

MY previous vehicle, a 2007 Grand Cherokee, I put 80,000 on the original pads, and just hung new pads without turning or buying new rotors. 30,000+ miles later no issues front or rear.

You may want to measure the rotor thickness to make sure you aren't under min or close enough that you may go under min before the next brake service. You may also want to clean up any ridges around the edges of the rotor as well, if present.

Yep and I have regretted ever time. New pads = new rotors
Sorry to hear that. I am sure there must have been some other variables or issues at play for you that were not present for the many that just replace pads with no regerts.

As always, YMMV.

I have replaced pads on many vehicles without turning or replacing rotors. Just depends on your driving style. My daughter in law drives fast and rides the brakes on her mini van requiring new rotors every brake job. My 2014 Ex has 66,000 miles on it and I put new pads on the front twice without doing anything with the rotors. Last fall I would say the pads had 50% left but I replaced them because we spend the winter in the mountains on one of the steepest and most avalanche prone road in North America. I don't have the tools nor the inclination to do a brake job here,no floor jacks and we don't have a garage. I also have a dial indicator so I do measure run out whenever I do a brake job. I use Wagner OEX pads that are supposed to generate less heat, shorter stopping distances and less dust. I have been using these pads on all our vehicles for a few years and are extremely happy with them.. Pads are about $30 / pair so for a little more money I think the value is better. My guess is my next brake job if the run out is low I will have them turned.

There are more reasons to turn the rotors when installing new brake pads than just to make them true and straight again, do you know what they are?

There are more reasons to turn the rotors when installing new brake pads than just to make them true and straight again, do you know what they are?
I am going to guess that the majority here either don't know or don't care. New pads on old rotors will take a little longer to conform to the old rotor and can wear a bit faster during that time, but for most people, they just don't care about the details.

Besides, who turns rotors these days? Most of the shops around me charge $20-30 per. Many new rotors can be had for the same price or maybe double, so it isn't worth the time to turn them. Not to mention, some/many rotors don't have enough 'meat' on them to allow for proper turning. Even if I could get rotors turned for $10-15 per, I'd probably still spend the extra for new rotors as I can have all the parts shipped to me and never have to leave the house, whereas with local turning, I have to drop the rotors off and wait or come back for them later or the next day depending on the shop.

A thorough 220 sandpaper scrub on the surfaces takes care of that.

And remember, most times a "warped rotor" is just uneven pad buildup.

I've always replaced rotors with pads. As KayGee mentions, it's usually less hassle to just slap new ones on and not significantly higher cost vs. turning.

I normally just do pads on any of our many vehicles around the farm here. Seems like any time I've had rotors turned, they warp after a few heat cycles and then you get brake chatter. Unless the rotor has some significant defect, I just put lifetime guarantee pads on the first time, then all I have in it after that is an hour or so changing them out when they wear out.

I buy the best pads possible, no warrantee needed, and rotors just not a cheap brand, and those not every time.

Rotors don't have to be replaced each time, but, some vehicles have barely adequate rotors which warp easily. So that's a case by case vehicle model issue, and cheap brands make people falsely assume all rotors warp easily on that vehicle etc.

I'm a mail carrier, I assure you I find the limits of brake parts, and I am naturally very hard on brakes. My current brakes on my 98 Limited, are OEM pads front and rear, and rotors that were about $35 each, all from Rock Auto, and the rotors new about two brake jobs ago. I replace rotors when I perceive that there is enough metal worn to be close to needing turned or replaced.

Today's vehicles come with thin rotors, older Fords used to be 1.25" thick parts, and could be turned multiple times. Now your luck if you can get one turned once or twice. Others mentioned it too, it costs too much to have a rotor turned, and a new one is not much more, and easier to get. Turning rotors used to be $5, and new ones were $25 or not much more. Now there are way too many brands to choose from, although they don't cost much more.

Concentrate on pad quality and brake fluid, those are most important. Regards,

Yes, lots of times, on vehicles other than the Explorer, and have never regretted it a bit. On my Ex, if memory serves me right, I needed new rear rotors at about 90,000 miles but the fronts just got a light turning with new pads and are doing fine at about 110,000 miles.

I have changed my front pads without doing anything to the rotors and haven't had any issues.

Back