Will the Explorer have Continuously Controlled Damping Suspension? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will the Explorer have Continuously Controlled Damping Suspension?

WrekEE

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Raptor
Does anyone know if they are going to include CCD on the new explorer? I am on the fence on ordering.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you referring to a Charged-Coupled Device? Please spell out so that members will know what the acronym stands for. Thanks.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you referring to a Charged-Coupled Device? Please spell out so that members will know what the acronym stands for. Thanks.

Peter

I believe they are referring to Continuously Controlled Damping - a feature notably seen on the 4th gen (18MY+) Expeditions in the Platinum trim and Lincoln Navigator.

Edit: I believe it was also on the later 3rd gen (15-17MYs?) Expeditions in the King Ranch (although very rare there) and Platinum trims.

The ride is superlative when the vehicle has it equipped, even with 22 inch wheels, or so I've been told.

Yes. Continuously Controlled Damping

You would think if they had it in a 2017 Ford Fusion... they would put it in their #1SUV.

Yes. Continuously Controlled Damping

You would think if they had it in a 2017 Ford Fusion... they would put it in their #1SUV.

I saw no mention of CCD in the 2020 order guide, nor in the builder on Ford website. The Explorer does not appear to be getting it yet.

The CCD in my 2017 Fusion Sport works fairly well. In Comfort mode, it feels extremely smooth over bumpy roads and has that 1980s floaty feel. In Sport mode, the car doesn't tend to float and is more taut on smooth surfaces. I think I had mentioned that the CCD almost feels like it mainly adjusts the compression circuit and not much with the rebound circuit. But Ford marketed the CCD in the Fusion Sport as a pothole mitigation system, but I lost 2 tires within a span of 12 hours (the same tire after it was replaced) due to potholes.

If I had to do it again, I'd get a set of the smallest wheels that'd fit over the brakes and mount the thickest sidewall tires I could find that would fit under the struts. Lateral grip, slalom times, and lap times around Virginia International or Nordschleife are meaningless if you're stuck with a donut(s) waiting 2 weeks for replacement tires.

as far as I know the upper trim packages will have the magnetic continuously controlled suspension, like the option on the mustang today.

It is something that has to be put into the platform - the dampers are a touch unique, and they have significant power draw. Often lost in the discussion is the fact that magnetic suspension requires a larger alternator - some times a larger battery - and it runs something like an 8ga wire harness to each damper. Thus something that is baked into the platform design and not easily tacked on.

Aviator clearly has it - Platinum trim and I suspect ST trim will have it. Not sure of others.

The CCD isn't quite the same as Magneride, the Ford CCD is basically an electronic spool valve that controls oil flow whereas Magneride is the magnetic system.

as far as I know the upper trim packages will have the magnetic continuously controlled suspension, like the option on the mustang today..............................Aviator clearly has it - Platinum trim and I suspect ST trim will have it. Not sure of others.
I haven't seen any mention of it. Here is what the chassis for the ST and Platinum shows;
Chassis
Chassis Specifications
Front suspension - MacPherson strut front suspension with 32mm front stabilizer bar
Front shocks - Gas-pressurized hydraulic
Rear suspension - Multi-link independent rear suspension with 22mm rear stabilizer bar
Rear shocks - Gas-pressurized hydraulic
Brakes - Power 4-wheel disc with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Steering - Electronic Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS)

Peter

Back