2016 XLT serious shift issues

VAlegacy

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Two days ago on my way into work I noticed a couple hard shifts accelerating from stop light. Had been driving for a while so I was at running temps. One time it revved up before engaging ~ 2500 rpm.

On my way home, had to pull over. Would not move at all in drive. Sat there for a minute revving in drive not going anywhere. Finally it engaged and slowly accelerated off. Check engine (wrench) light came on, and had no overdrive gear, and couldn't change gears with paddle shifters. Very weird.

The following day, wrench light was off, could change gears with paddle shifters, and no issues. This morning on way into work, couple hard shifts but thats it.

Electronic issue? No previous signs of transmission issues. 88k miles.

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No error codes. Check engine light (wrench that says see manual) came on. On my way home from work once I had been driving for 30 minutes or so started acting up again.
Didn't want to shift/engage. Then wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear. RPM's just climbed higher and higher. Pulled over, turned vehicle off, then back on, wrench disappeared. Then would shift out of 2nd, but HARD shifts.
Limped home.
Hate to break down and take it to dealer but kind of way out of my realm.

Thanks for the responses. That's what I thought. I ordered a code reader earlier and will wait until it comes tomorrow to throw up the white flag.
Thanks for the help.

FOXWELL NT301 OBD2 Scanner Professional Enhanced OBDII Diagnostic Code Reader

No codes.
I'm thinking that's because the wrench was actually limp mode. I think this is true because cycling the ignition on/off removes the wrench.
Also my reader states that some codes are only temporarily stored.
Dunno. I think it's a faulty transmission/engine speed sensor
Either way I reckon the dealership will tell me tomorrow.

If it went to a limp mode it would have set a code, I am thinking that scanner is just not capable to get the transmission information like it says it does. I have other shops bring me cars all the time and even they say no codes, get out my scanner and find 1 or more codes stored. Is there not a transmission shop near you?

Your Explorer with the 2.3L engine should have the 6F35 transmission in it. We see them with pretty often and they have a few weak spots just like everything else, mainly the converter will fail and restrict the filter and it quits moving.

Not sure what's going on with yours but get it checked by whoever your can find that knows about these little monsters, the dealer usually just says you need a new one no matter what is really wrong with it.

Thanks for the response.
2016 Explorer Throttle Body Problems
The more I look into the symptoms the more I think this may be the case. Loss of power, airbag light, turning car off and problem gone when back on.
All users being instructed to not turn car off, have it towed to dealership running, as cycling on/off clears code...

We shall see.

Of course, ya'll were both right. Dealer scanned and found
P0219 - engine over speed controller, which was I know from being in limp mode, when I took it to like 7500 RPM trying to get it to shift gears
P0729 gear 6 incorrect ratio.
P0733 gear 3 incorrect ratio.
And like you said JK080, their fix was to replace trans for $5700.
The vehicle is driving like normal really now, except for a slightly harder than normal downshift when decelerating.
The tech ran an OASIS check for me....showed the transmission had been rebuilt at 23k miles (now has 80k on it). Don't really think I have any recourse there.
I don't think they did any sort of check on sensors, as I was only charged for 1 hour of labor.
Does this sound legit?

I will be taking it to a local transmission shop tomorrow either tomorrow or Monday, to see what the real deal is.

With those codes the transmission shop will probably recommend to remove and rebuild transmission, there is something going on inside the transmission. The last one we did I was able to rebuild the transmission with a new valve body, solenoid assembly, converter, even the back case half and kept it in the 3k's.

Back