Cooling fan keeps running drain the battery! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cooling fan keeps running drain the battery!

That's damn infuriating that the dealer would have replaced all that to not even fix the issue to the tune of $2,000+.

I'd be making a phone call and/or visiting that dealer to give them some choice words of what fixed it.
Damn right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that you're a paid customer you can leave negative reviews online and file a complaint with the BBB. :shoot:

Now that you're a paid customer you can leave negative reviews online and file a complaint with the BBB. :shoot:
Don't forget - if you paid that $120 with a cc, dispute the charges with your cc company. Regardless of intent or stupidity of dealer personnel, they charged you for services that they didn't 'really' provide.

Technically, if they provided diagnostics, even if they were wrong, they did provide a service. I don't believe that a diagnosis is guaranteed to be 100% accurate in finding a problem.

Peter

Don't forget - if you paid that $120 with a cc, dispute the charges with your cc company. Regardless of intent or stupidity of dealer personnel, they charged you for services that they didn't 'really' provide.
That would probably be more hassle than it's worth.

You write a letter to CC company, gather and provide documentation. Shop disputes and sends their own letter. If CC resolution sides with them, you wasted time. If they side with you, shop puts a mechanics lien on your vehicle, now file a lawsuit to vacate the lien and maybe get it vacated or maybe not?

I could see it over a larger amount of money... IMO the best thing that can be done now is warn local prospective customers about their business practices, making sure to use fact supported statements, not libelous.

That would probably be more hassle than it's worth.

You write a letter to CC company, gather and provide documentation. Shop disputes and sends their own letter. If CC resolution sides with them, you wasted time. If they side with you, shop puts a mechanics lien on your vehicle, now file a lawsuit to vacate the lien and maybe get it vacated or maybe not?

I could see it over a larger amount of money... IMO the best thing that can be done now is warn local prospective customers about their business practices, making sure to use fact supported statements, not libelous.
My experiences have been vastly different from your statements. I have filed a lot of chargebacks/disputes over the years and prevailed on all but a few. They are typically a quick phone call and don't take much time to process. Some have required a follow up call or two or a written statement that took a few extra minutes. No more time than it would take to post complaints on an online forum or similar...

One should know their state and local laws, any contract they signed, and send one piece of written correspondence to the merchant seeking a resolution before filing a dispute.

I've never had a merchant attempt to put a lien on my property as a result of a dispute that they 'lost'. As always, YMMV.

^ Most products don't give the seller the leverage that a mechanic's lien has.

Shops routinely have to deal with customers who agree to have work done but then can't cough up the money, they will not just let go of.

^ Most products don't give the seller the leverage that a mechanic's lien has.

Shops routinely have to deal with customers who agree to have work done but then can't cough up the money, they will not just let go of.
I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I've filed disputes for work performed to vehicles and real estate with success. It works differently with cc disputes as the merchant is 'paid' and the dispute is that they didn't provide the services they billed for or were negligent, misrepresented something, or otherwise. It is governed by their merchant agreement and whatever dispute/arbitration clause. I am not a lawyer, so everyone should check their state laws and understand what they are doing.

Worst case with a.mechanics lien is that you pay the money when requested. I personally doubt a dealership would go after a customer for $120, but who knows. The dispute and lien process are to create a nuisance for the merchant and force them to decide their risk/reward situation.

^ Good luck with that. I seriously doubt it was similar enough situations that you can assume you're going to avoid paying unless you put up more of a fight than $120 worth... but if alexxfender wants to try that, you can guide through what you think will work.

I would call ford and blow in that dealer and get on their facebook and hammer them.
for trying to screw me. I have a few minor issues with my dealer but they never tried that crap.

^ Good luck with that. I seriously doubt it was similar enough situations that you can assume you're going to avoid paying unless you put up more of a fight than $120 worth... but if alexxfender wants to try that, you can guide through what you think will work.
huh? You say it's not worth it for a consumer to dispute $120, but you think a dealer is going to fight tooth and nail to recover the same amount. If you have no experience, that's fine. But don't try and portray a cc dispute as brain surgery. Many cc's have streamlined the dispute process and some are pretty painless (1 or 2 calls and maybe a short paper or electronic form - most of mine take 5-10 minute or less).

I use cc for ~$70k of personal purchases each year and use the dispute process often, including for services rendered to vehicles and real estate. My experiences over the years haven't jibed with what your laying down there pal. Best of luck to anyone else playing along at home.

^ We're going too far off topic but one last comment on this.

You're suggesting you do this so often that it's familiar to you and quick to do. The same could be said about shops pursuing non-paying customers, that they have someone that handles this..

If you are claiming that you make many purchases that you "often" have to dispute, and that you always get your money back and don't end up in a small claims court, then I simply don't believe you. The combination of the former and latter situations makes you simultaneously very unlucky to get into these situations yet lucky, that the opposing people just walk away from money they feel they're owed.

Again, good luck with that, though it would take less luck if you did more investigation of who you're doing business with. It is a very small % of valid payments that I've ever had to dispute.

^ We're going too far off topic but one last comment on this.

You're suggesting you do this so often that it's familiar to you and quick to do. The same could be said about shops pursuing non-paying customers, that they have someone that handles this..

If you are claiming that you make many purchases that you "often" have to dispute, and that you always get your money back and don't end up in a small claims court, then I simply don't believe you. The combination of the former and latter situations makes you simultaneously very unlucky to get into these situations yet lucky people just walk away from money they feel they're owed.

Again, good luck with that, though it would take less luck if you did more investigation of who you're doing business with. It is a very small % of valid payments that I've ever had to dispute.
I make a lot of purchases from a lot of merchants.
If I have 200 hundred purchases each month and I have to dispute a dozen transactions a year, my percentage is very small (12/2,400=.5%). Sometimes stuff that arrives is not as expected, other times services rendered aren't quite what should have been either. It has nothing to do with whether the payment is valid or not. A not as described or quality of goods/services was not acceptable (visa charge back code 53/13.1/13.3/13.5, amex reason code 4553) has nothing to do with whether the underlying charge was valid in the first place.

I do agree, that this has strayed, but you obviously don't understand how to fully utilize the chargeback process and how it can work for you. As a consumer, one should educate themselves on laws and protections that they can use as necessary. The more people that utilize the dispute process against merchants, the easier it is for subsequent disputes as it shows a pattern with that merchant.

Why not call the dealer and ask to speak with the service manager. Explain the absolute mis-diagnosis, and explain how you feel the vehicle wasn't even looked at.
The servicing mechanic obviously just looked at the description and went straight to the parts manual.

Even then, what does a air flow shutter have to do with the fan running all the time (Even when the motor is stone cold). As you originally thought, someone clearly tried to take advantage of you.

I'd be pissed enough to make noise. I'd document the conversation with the dealer (Who, Date, time, contents of conversation). Then if you didn't get a credit from the dealer, I'd file a charge back with the credit card company.
Beyond the $120.00, its about getting screwed over by whats supposed to be a reputable dealer. They shouldn't just randomly quote massive dollar repair bills because they have no clue what the problem is. We all know that they would replace the parts, then diagnose and fix the real issue. You would be charged for everything. If the servicing mechanic is incompetent, he (she) should be called out and the dealer needs to know there is an issue.

Anyway, this type of mechanic behavior clearly irritates most, if not all of us here.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me out... again the problem was.. sometimes the fan keeps running until the battery drained out.. last Saturday evening fan keeps running and I had to unplugged the battery.. the next morning when ever I tried to reconnect the battery the fan stated to run (before starting the engine)
I check the handbook again and found out the problem.. it was Relay #11 (when I pull out the #11 relay the fan will not run when I connect the battery) ... I didn’t know we have three cooling fan relays.. #20 and #21 .. I bought new relay from eBay $8.48 .. that fix my problem.. never experience again !! I save $2000+

View attachment 170973
I also had this problem! Nice detective work!

So is this the same issue as the cooling fan relay campaign 21N01?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few days ago my 2017 Ford Explorer died due to the fan constantly running after the engine was shut off. We took it to a repair shop and they said they have found nothing wrong and to just turn the a/c off right before turning the car off just in case. I really would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and how they resolved. it.

Back