AirBag Light Mean? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AirBag Light Mean?

Slippin

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
My 2003 Explorer XLT just started flashing it's air bag light last week..Now it's on solid and on all the time.Any ideas why & how to diagnose @ home? Never had an accident,and hasn't had any service done in that area recently.Thank you for any help.

Old age. Could be lots of things.
When you start up car, the air bag will flash a number of times.
That's the code to the problem.
Mine does that, but behind a piece of black tape LOL.

As above, on startup it will flash a code. Most common ios code 33 and 34. The codes indicate a connector the seat belt pretensioner is probably not making good contact. 33 is driver side and 34 is passenger. Disconnect and clean the yellow connector under the appropriate seat. You may also have to remove the seat and check continuity through the harness in the seat. This is how I cleared both 33 and 34 in my 2002 Mountaineer about 2 weeks ago. There is a how to on the forum somewhere. I'd have to go looking for it again.

Back in 2005 when I bought mine, the air bag light was flashing, then went solid. I took it to the dealer under a safety warranty I think. They replaced a wire that was related to the seat belts to solve the airbag light problem. I have the receipt, it shows "33 present, pinpoint to pretensioner connector open and broken, "P/A parts monitored Pids found c313 broken, replaced connector 313 and repaired CKT 1079" , plus some other stuff I don't understand. It shows 105494 wire and 3U2Z*14S411*JYA as a kit wire assembly. They had me pay a partial labor charge and they supplied the wire assembly. It took them only a few minutes to swap it out.

Back