1993 Ford Explorer Front Brake Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ford Explorer Front Brake Problem

jonegan

Reaction score
City, State
boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1993 Ford explorer 4x4 with an automatic transmission. I took it for a 3 hour drive after buying it and when I got back the front brakes were smoking. I thought it was due to driving down a steep road for a few miles, but I took the tires off and found the front tires do not spin freely. The only way i could get them to spin by hand was to remove the brake bleeder. Fluid flows through the lines but the brakes are locked up. Any ideas on what i can do to fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the vehicle may have been parked a long time. As Rick said it's sticking caliper pistons or the less common clogged brake hoses.. As inexpensive as they are to repair with new rubber outer boots and square cut bore seals, you're better off replacing them with remanufactured calipers for around $25 each. Also check the pads for uneven wear. Buying locally is convenient for returning for core credit and warranty. Buy one quart of DOT 3 brake fluid and completely flush the system.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?q=Nty=1&N=2500003+2600313+2802502+200280140+5002800+10199300&Score=1&referer=plp&partTypeName=Brake Caliper - Front&keywordInput=caliper&scene=partTypesScene1&fullyQualified=true

I removed the ABS relays and they turn freely now. The calipers and pads are fine.
Thanks

I don’t think the front tires should “spin freely”. Mine have never spun freely, there’s always a small amount of drag on them. Maybe that’s what you mean, but I’m imagining spinning like a bicycle tire. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

^ Bill, OP said his front brakes were smoking. It's more than the pads lightly dragging on the rotors with the pedal released..

I removed the ABS relays and they turn freely now. The calipers and pads are fine.
Thanks

Problem is that the '93 only had rear wheel ABS. Disconnecting the system would not have affected your front brakes in any way. My guess is your brakes cooled down enough to allow the wheels to rotate again.

Problem is that the '93 only had rear wheel ABS. Disconnecting the system would not have affected your front brakes in any way. My guess is your brakes cooled down enough to allow the wheels to rotate again.

My 93 Limited had ABS, the rear only ABS was a year earlier I believe. I still have the 93 ABS unit too, I should sell it.

I'll vote that your calipers have plastic pistons. They are notorious for doing
what you have described.

If it does it again, replace them....

My' 93 definitely has 4 wheel abs, is that a Canadian thing, or later in the year?

What are "ABS relays"?
Theres two relays in the fuse box under the hood that are part of the ABS system. I removed them so now I don't have ABS. The brakes still work.

This is just to pitch my 2 cents in on 1993 Explorers having all wheel ABS. My 93 Sport had all wheel ABS. I saw the sensors myself. However, my 92 Navajo has no front ABS. In "GENERAL", I assume anything from before 1993 has no front ABS. I often pull parts from a junkyard. I've never seen a post-1992 Explorer without all-wheel ABS. And the Explorers are the only thing I look for, unless I can't find the part that I'm looking for, in which case, I start checking Rangers. (Pulled a rotor off of a ranger earlier today, actually.)

I snagged my front right abs sensor wire on a tree... They are not pleasant to replace.

I snagged my front right abs sensor wire on a tree... They are not pleasant to replace.

I actually prefer 91-92 first gens because of this. I can live without front ABS. Having to remove those sensors makes me cuss like a drunken sailor. If it were cheap to have someone else deal with it, I'd love to have front ABS. But that's a big hell no from me as long as I'm turning the wrench.

Back