Slight vibration/rumble sound when letting off gas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slight vibration/rumble sound when letting off gas

centex99

Reaction score
City, State
Buda, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 EB
So... 2007 v8 2wd, 164k miles... Transmission is a reman with < 5k miles/3 months ago.
Noise almost sounds like road noise but isn't. It's similar to the rumble strip sound that the light acceleration causes with the transmission (fly wheel/low fluid issues) but not quite the same. It's not nearly as loud or pronounced. It also only seems to happen when I let off the gas (vs slight acceleration with the other issue). Lastly, it only seems to happen around 70mph.
Any ideas on what it could be or anything I should check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ring and pinion. Just repaired mine and it runs smooth, like new. Ymmv!!!!!

I just had a drive output seal replaced, but it was making this before that.
They said the old fluid was super black but clean from metal fillings.
I don't think I want to spend 800 to rebuild the difference for a slight noise, but will keep that in mind as a possible issue if it gets worse.

Get up to speed 50mph+ then >carefully< shift into neutral. Rev the engine a bit. If it still makes the noise then it has to be engine related. If the noise is not present then its got to be drivetrain related. I had a similar issue on my previous '98 SOHC 4x. Turned out to be U-joints.

I have this same issue on my explorer 96. It started out faint and just got worse. Like over 9 months I’d say. I’ve had a few mechanics look for it but none of them have identified the issue. I’ve pinned it down to a part in the TC via someone explaining an issue with the transfer case on YouTube. Unfortunately they didn’t specify the part name but I can say it has teeth and it’s suppose to interlock with another part. But the guy explained that the teeth break off over time. Which causes a metallic grind noise with a vibration through the gas pedal when it’s only released. I’m going to dig a little deeper here in a few days and figure out which part exactly. I’m sure it won’t be difficult, for reference I have the borg Warner 4405 TC.

I have this same issue on my explorer 96. It started out faint and just got worse. Like over 9 months I’d say. I’ve had a few mechanics look for it but none of them have identified the issue. I’ve pinned it down to a part in the TC via someone explaining an issue with the transfer case on YouTube. Unfortunately they didn’t specify the part name but I can say it has teeth and it’s suppose to interlock with another part. But the guy explained that the teeth break off over time. Which causes a metallic grind noise with a vibration through the gas pedal when it’s only released. I’m going to dig a little deeper here in a few days and figure out which part exactly. I’m sure it won’t be difficult, for reference I have the borg Warner 4405 TC.
Did you ever figure it out? I’m having an issue where when I let off the gas at higher speed I can feel it feels like it girps and let’s go. I also have vibration in steering wheel 50-70mph

Back