2020 Climate Control Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Climate Control Question

IlliniInDG

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer XLT 2015
Currently have a 2015 XLT and with two small kids have been frustrated that I can only manually adjust hot/cold and fan speed for the rear climate. Would like to be able to just set a temperature for the rear and be done with it, any indication this has changed in the 2020 model? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which trim would you want?

Looking at the manual, it shows sync 3 with a "rear" button. I believe it is just like the current model. There are also rear controls for them to change the temp and fan speed like the current model.

Got it, thanks for the info! Looked at Atlas and Pilot, both have the ability to set a temperature for the rear from the front console. Kiddos won't be big enough to use the rear controls for 3-4 years.

I find on our 2016 model I set the front - and then set the keep the back on one notch below the 0 on temp (center point) and fan on one notch above center point and it seems to stay about right. until winter when I have to move it again. I always assume the 0 point is to keep the back near the setting of the front controls.

Since it has it's own evap and fan box for the rear.

I never looked but does the limited or other trim have a true auto rear?

The 2020 Explorer (I have anXLT) also has an Auto button. Set your temperature and the system automatically maintains cabin temperature.

The 2020 Explorer (I have anXLT) also has an Auto button. Set your temperature and the system automatically maintains cabin temperature.
But does it also work on the rear system? Many have the Auto feature but it only seems to work on the front, not the rear.

Peter

But does it also work on the rear system? Many have the Auto feature but it only seems to work on the front, not the rear.

Peter

The expedition has a temp setting for the rear.. hopefully Explorer is the same this go around. I could set the rear at whatever temp I want and have it on AUTO to maintain it.

I find on our 2016 model I set the front - and then set the keep the back on one notch below the 0 on temp (center point) and fan on one notch above center point and it seems to stay about right. until winter when I have to move it again. I always assume the 0 point is to keep the back near the setting of the front controls.

Since it has it's own evap and fan box for the rear.

I never looked but does the limited or other trim have a true auto rear?
2020 does not have a temp setting for the rear - hotter/colder, fan and vent settings like previous. I find the approach above works on the Fords I’ve had with rear controls.

Again I was always under the impression that if you have the front set to say 72 - and the rear temp slider set to the - mark or centered - it maintains the rear temp near the commanded front temp.

there is however no auto fan control - which I would prefer. Sort of hoped when I move up a trim level this kicks in.

Back