3.5L Engine Oil Capacity | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.5L Engine Oil Capacity

Your thread was merged with this existing one found with the 'Search' feature
From your Owner's Manual; Engine oil (3.5L V6) 6.0 quarts (5.7L)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 XLT with the 3.5 na, no towing package, so no oil cooler.
I see everywere that this engine takes 6 quarts of oil, I've done several oil changes and I've never used more than 5.75 quarts. Even with that amount the oil is a hair above the max line on the dipstick. I always let it drain for at least 1 hour. I've done drains on flat surface and ramps, same result. Is your experience the same?
Please share, thanks.

You will never get out exactly what you put in. Engines do burn a little oil... and even when draining, there are areas that just won't 100% empty.

You will never get out exactly what you put in. Engines do burn a little oil... and even when draining, there are areas that just won't 100% empty.
How would that affect capacity though?

If capacity is x qts and a half quart won't empty because it is "stuck somewhere" or burned up, one would think refilling with the proper x qts after a change would still show a correct reading on the dipstick.

Op seems to be saying he is refilling with less than capacity and dipstick is showing full. That would mean he isn't draining everything out, but he says he is. If op fills to capacity, dipstick will read overfill.

I would think maybe bad disptick or something else is going on that isn't being conveyed.

How would that affect capacity though?

If capacity is x qts and a half quart won't empty because it is "stuck somewhere" or burned up, one would think refilling with the proper x qts after a change would still show a correct reading on the dipstick.

Op seems to be saying he is refilling with less than capacity and dipstick is showing full. That would mean he isn't draining everything out, but he says he is. If op fills to capacity, dipstick will read overfill.

I would think maybe bad disptick or something else is going on that isn't being conveyed.

Yes, that´s what I´m trying to find out. If somehow I´m not getting all out, or what. I bought the truck used, what if the dipstick is from another engine?

Edit: Checked the dipstick, I have the correct one.

Back