All 4 tires brown on inside track, just bought | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All 4 tires brown on inside track, just bought

Lincolnunit

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited AWD
So I just purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer limited awd 2.3L (55k miles) a couple days ago. As I was driving I noticed a weird noise, so hard to describe but only can be heard when driving between 64-70MPH (sound is low not high pitch, constant no clicking or grinding) Below or above that the sound becomes very difficult to hear- almost nonexistent) not sure if it is the wind (vehicle has roof rack and rain guard) or what. There is also a vibration at highway speeds (steering wheel vibrates a bit and seats shake a little at highway speeds). I am not sure if this is normal as this is my first Ford Explorer. I’m hoping it’s not something serious but just tires that needs balancing...fingers crossed.

The attached picture is of the inside part of the tread, all four wheels looks like this when I bring my phone under the wheel barrow. Is the brown stuff dirt from dealership poorly washing it or something else?

Thanks in advance!

38EFE581-77E3-48D5-85D2-B2038DCB6554.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There should not be any vibration when driving at any speed. The first thing I'd do is have the tires balanced and have the alignment checked at the same time.
When you say roof rack, does yours have the crossbars or just the side rails? I don't think they would create an audible noise that you can hear inside. There have been wind noise issues with the cowl. That piece that runs along the outside of the window. You could try taping it down to see if the noise goes away.
My tires have a brownish colour to them as well on the outer sidewalls. Did you get any kind of warranty from the dealer? BTW your video doesn't work but I do see the picture.

Peter

What does the rest of the tread on your tires look like. It might be it needs tires or an alignment.

Brown discoloration on tires is common and caused by a chemical ingredient called anitozonant. Google it if you want to learn more.

As for the bad vibes at highway speeds, sounds like balance is off. Sound could be related to tires. You could try rotating them to see if the sound changes.

Thanks! It’s my first post. Thank you all for feedback. I took it to mechanic and he said the noise is actually coming from the front axel, shift differential, becomes very audible at around 60mph. Will be taking back to dealer to fix since I literally just got it. Hopefully it’s covered under the power train warranty...

Thanks! It’s my first post. Thank you all for feedback. I took it to mechanic and he said the noise is actually coming from the front axel, shift differential, becomes very audible at around 60mph. Will be taking back to dealer to fix since I literally just got it. Hopefully it’s covered under the power train warranty...
If you didn't get the Warranty Guide with the vehicle, you can see it here. See page 11. https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ck-Warranty-version-3_frdwa_EN-US_10_2015.pdf

Peter

Back