Fuel filter / fuel line size for disconnect | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel filter / fuel line size for disconnect

EB4X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
Hey gang,
Anybody know what size I'll need for the 'fuel disconnect tool' for my 95 4.0 OHV?
Is it 5/16" by any chance?....have that already in garage from Jeep repairs...
For normally a simple job I read on Ranger forum (similar) that it was a nightmare getting in there / getting lines to release being cramped up in tight spot / Ford design etc.....true on 2nd gen?
I'm being lazy as usual and asking instead of crawling under there now and poking around...

Thanks.

TOOL.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That should work.

5/16's, but it's not just the tool that gets the filter disconnected. You also have to be able to push the filter into the fuel lines slightly in order to get the tool in far enough to allow the tool to push the spring fingers in to release them.

A shot of silicone spray will help break free the o rings inside the connector and help get it off next time:)

Thanks all for input!

YEP ...total headache getting two ends disconnected...this is with proper disconnect tool as well... (thinking metal version probably a little better).
Had to push / push and twist / put thick pliers sideways against side of tool and push in sideways- (this is definitely needed) and grow a third hand and arm but got them both off....
Splorer runs 90% better! ....much more responsive!

(thinking metal version probably a little better)

Yep - most of us have been there and thought that while struggling with plastic disconnector tools of all brands/styles/shapes :banghead:

14 years ago, when I first bought my Ex, I bought "Lisle" brand round white plastic ones.

After the 2nd fuel filter change I tossed 'em into the trash and replaced 'em with the aluminum version from Harbor Freight.

Never looked back - 5 minute fuel filter changes ever since.

image_13067.jpg

Here is a link to the Harbor Freight 4 piece set.
Fuel And Transmission Line Disconnect Tool Set 4 Pc

That's what I use. I find they work well. Leave the filter in it's bracket, spray the connections with WD40, push the lines onto the filter, insert the tool an apply pressure to the tool with a larger pair of needle nose pliers and I've always gotten them off. It's never exactly easy though. Also, I've found the 3/8's size works better on the fuel pump assembly end.

I just did the fuel filter on my 94 Ranger, i used the plastic tool in the top pic. I’ve done it before in the past, with the same tool.
But, when I bought the new filter at NAPA, the counter guy was positive I don’t need the tool to do the job, that the lines just pull off! He said the white plastic locking clips are all that holds the lines on!
Well I thought he didn’t know what he’s talking about, and was familiar with other brands of vehicles or something.
But when I was putting the new filter on, I looked into the ends of the gas line with a good flashlight for the first time ever. I wanted to see what the mechanism looks like that the tool unhitched. I figured it was a circle of tiny metal fingers like a clutch line disconnect.
But there was nothing in there!
I put the lines on to the filter, and then pulled them right off again! Put the clips on, and then could not pull them off.
I don’t know what to make of this. I don’t know if my truck is different, or if I don’t know what I’m doing, or someone put on aftermarket gas lines, or if the whole tool story is a fable.
Maybe earlier years had a different locking system and everyone just assumes you still need to use the tool.
I understand a 94 Ranger is not a gen2 Explorer.
But check it out when you’re going to put the new filter on. Look in the lines. Then try to pull the lines off after you slip them on to the new filter, without the locking clips.

That must be specific to your 94 .....I just happen to take a pic of my fuel line before installing new filter....notice there's four 'teeth' ...

FUEL LINE END.jpg

@EB4X Is type of clip was used on older Fords. Gen II Explorer's (and other Fords) require the tool and have the metal spring clip with the little fingers holding the lines on. You can not just pull them apart by hands.

@EB4X Is type of clip was used on older Fords. Gen II Explorer's (and other Fords) require the tool and have the metal spring clip with the little fingers holding the lines on. You can not just pull them apart by hands.
Hey Koda....I think you meant to be replying @ Rangerx .... mine, as mentioned, and pointed out by pick DID require special tool to get released....

Hey Koda....I think you meant to be replying @ Rangerx .... mine, as mentioned, and pointed out by pick DID require special tool to get released....

Yes you're right. Sorry.

Back