Are 22"s too big? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are 22"s too big?

Wil Laura

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Hey guys, new to the forums. I have a 2016 Explorer Platinum, I'm going to need to replace my tires soon and am thinking of upgrading the rims too. Does anyone have any experience riding on 22"s? I don't want to ride to suffer too much.

I'm think black rims that will compliment the Silver and Black look I'm going for.

Thank!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, new to the forums. I have a 2016 Explorer Platinum, I'm going to need to replace my tires soon and am thinking of upgrading the rims too. Does anyone have any experience riding on 22"s? I don't want to ride to suffer too much.

I'm think black rims that will compliment the Silver and Black look I'm going for.

Thank!!!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
What is the actual tire size that you are looking at?

Peter

Honestly, the biggest that can fit. I used to have Mustangs all my life, first time with an SUV. I want something a little wider than stock too to protect the rims a little from curb rub which is bound to happen eventually.

Honestly, the biggest that can fit. I used to have Mustangs all my life, first time with an SUV. I want something a little wider than stock too to protect the rims a little from curb rub which is bound to happen eventually.
A wider tire won't protect you from "curb rub". You want a higher sidewall (middle number) for that. A 235/65R18 is an exact replacement for the 255/50R20 if you go to an 18" wheel. I'm running 235/60R18 Winter wheels from my previous MKT in place of the 20" OEM.
You can play around with the calculator here; Tire size calculator: compare tires online The Overall Diameter difference is what to pay attention to.

Peter

Just saw a picture on FB of a 5th gen with 22" Edge wheels, so yeah it's possible.

The OP even said that the 22s ride better than the 20s.

22’s will probably ride a little tougher, at least they do in my experience with other vehicles. They look just right on a 5g Explorer though. You can get a wider cross section so you have a little bulge on the sides to help protect from curb rash, but then your contact patch will suffer.
That’s something the size calculators don’t really show you.

I'm also thinking about going 22's as the crappy hankooks are on their way out. I have reached out to Velgen multiple times to see if they do have fitments on their wheels without any luck. Their sales person Anthony suggests to look at their truck series wheel designs. I personally love their VMB9 design, but their options are limited in 22 inch sizes.

Hey Will, You might want to look at member JETZ on here. I believe he is running the 22's off the Edge Sport with 285/40/22's. I saw a picture of his rig (on here) with them and they look really good, and the 285/40's stay under the 3% height difference avoiding impacts on braking, steering and suspension. I am toying with the idea of doing the same. The 21's off the 2020 Explorer has the same bolt pattern as the 5th gen, but tire sizes for 21's are limited, but you may want to check those out as well. I think they would really look good on a 5th gen as well.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure the ride will be stiffer but I think the look will pop.

I looked at the aftermarket wheel thread but didn't see much there, is there a specific thread for members with 22"s?

Could you guys post pics of the with specs?

Thanks.

I looked at the aftermarket wheel thread but didn't see much there, is there a specific thread for members with 22"s?

Could you guys post pics of the with specs?

Thanks.
There is no specific thread on 22' tires. This is all there is. Not many members are using this size. They will add extra weight which may affect ABS, TC, braking and suspension parts..

Peter

Just installed a set of 22s on my xsport. Agree that not many folks here don't run 22s but I think they fit the SUV nicely. Will upload some photos later tonight to give you an idea and help others decide if 22s are for them. Did toy with the idea of 24s but with past experience using rubber band tires, didn't want to sacrifice comfort too much.

Originally, I reached out to the folks at Velgen and Cosmis racing for 22 inch wheel sizes and neither had any options available at the time. Finally, settled on a set of niche Verona's in gloss black that are 22x10. Tires are conti dws 265-40-22. Thinking of going for more width on the next set of tires.

No pictures. Have to right-click IMG and open in new tab to see photos. A good time to take advantage of the 2 year for 1 Elite Explorer membership so you can upload directly from your device and help support the Forum.:)

EDIT: Better now with the links.

Peter

Those rims are the exact kind I'm looking for, they look perfect on your ride!!! Where did you get them from?

Back