Another series of questions on a 2007 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another series of questions on a 2007 Explorer XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Menasha, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
1) Sounds like I have a stuck lifter when starting up. It goes 4-5 minutes and the sound disappears. I tried Marvel Mystery Oil, but it did not seem to help. Ideas?

2) I replaced the rear glass release button, but it still does not work. It does from the fob though. Any thoughts on what may be going on/possible things to try?

3) Best cost effective Shock/Strut replacements? at 122,000 and it seems to be time. I have never done this job, is it easy enough? THinking going the full assembly route. Any tricks/tools I should have on hand to make it go smoothly? Will likely do brakes at same time, and then take it in for an alignment.

4) and finally the weather/Soundproofing strip on the passenger side front door frame (upper corner near pillar between front and 2nd row) has not attachment to the frame anymore in the corner, leading to increased road noise. When I try to stretch it back, there seems to be quite a bit of pull away from said corner, so I am wondering what I can use to attach it that will hold.

Thanks!

-Matt

Do you have the 4.0L V6, or 4.8L V8? If you have the V8, then the sound is more than likely an exhaust manifold leak. The 4.6L V8 is notorious for the exhaust manifold studs rusting and breaking, causing a leak. The sound goes away after a few minutes once the engine warms up and the manifold expands and makes a better seal. The solution is to replace the manifold, and also the bolts with stainless steel studs. I have this problem right not with the passenger's side manifold on my Sport Trac.

As for shock/strut replacement, the Monroe Quick-Strut shock/spring assembly is the best way to go. Replacing just the shocks is much more labor-intensive because you have to remove them from inside the springs. It's easier to just replace the whole thing. Here are a couple of "how-to" videos for replacing both the front/rear strut/spring assemblies:

I just did my rear struts on my 2008 V8 Explorer using the Monroe quick struts last weekend. Make sure you have a 13mm ratcheting wrench. Will save you so much time. Dont go cheap with that part as I did and it broke during the first strut replacement. Was stuck using a regular wrench (pain in the ass).

The whole lifter situation might also be mine. Only difference is that my tick doesn't stop when the vehicle warms up. If it does stop after a while it most likely is the exhaust manifold.

Back