• Register Today It's free!

Rear AC leaking clear liquid

rusty813

Reaction score
City, State
Private
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
I dont use my rear ac, but yesterday I notice that the lines between the wheel and bumper that run ups was soaking wet. This occurs after start and shut off of vehicle when reaching your POI. It does with the ac in the off position.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can be condensation , sometimes the AC compressor will kick on when using the defroster

I agree, most likely just condensation. I've noticed that a few times on mine as well when I have the front A/C on, but rear HVAC off.

Someone can correct me, but doesn't the rear A/C run off the same front AC lines? If front A/C is on, but rear HVAC is off, the rear evaporator is still getting cold and condensing moisture. Natural air flow through the vehicle may blow air across the rear evaporator (even with fan off), so you'd still get condensation dripping.

I agree, most likely just condensation. I've noticed that a few times on mine as well when I have the front A/C on, but rear HVAC off.

Someone can correct me, but doesn't the rear A/C run off the same front AC lines? If front A/C is on, but rear HVAC is off, the rear evaporator is still getting cold and condensing moisture. Natural air flow through the vehicle may blow air across the rear evaporator (even with fan off), so you'd still get condensation dripping.

Yes, 1 loop. So if there is a leak, neither will work.

Just to avoid any confusion later on, there are actually separate front and rear lines fed from a single AC compressor. The front lines don't feed the rear HVAC system.

Also, on defrost, the ac compressor is more than likely programmed to come on almost all of the time, not just sometimes, as it is necessary to remove moisture from the cabin and defrost the windows. Programming will vary by a multitude of parameters, so ymmv, but you can always turn on defroat, pop your hood and watch/listen for the compressor to cycle on/off to confirm.

Back