Greg_DonWindsor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited V8 4x4
Hi everyone,

After 9 years of owning my 2000 Limited SOHC project V6, I’ve finally come around to parting ways with it and beginning a new project. I’d been posting in the modified 2nd gen forum for many years, and learned a lot about the truck there and used other owners’ helpful advice and experience to inform me about which modifications/upgrades I was interested in doing.

My 2000 Limited project (more pics in my registry thread):
K&N intake with Amsoil dry filter, 75mm MAF, 70mm Mustang throttle body, Superchips Cortex 91 octane tune, Underdrive crank pulley, Black Magic electric fan, Davis Ignition LiveWire coil pack, Gibson stainless headers, Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow custom cat-back, Optima Yellowtop, Custom JL Audio and stealth sub box, 200 amp alternator, Bilstein shocks, add-a-leaf rear, poly bushings everywhere, G2 rear diff cover, Upper and lower billet grille,Halo projector headlights, HID fog conversion, Black Chrome smoked taillights, black chrome smoked third brake light, KMC Hoss 20x9 with Nitto Terrgrappler G2:

04E6486C-B517-4178-9414-727D0653FDE6.jpeg

This past weekend, I travelled 5400kms across the country from New Brunswick, Canada, all the way to Victoria, Vancouver Island, in British Columbia because I’d found the perfect replacement and new project to embark upon. It’s a 2008 Limited V8 4x4, with 108,000 original kilometres on the odometer (67,100miles). Part of the reason I went with another Explorer aside from how much I like the trucks, is that several of my aftermarket parts from my former 2nd gen build should cross right over to the new model (wheelset, optima yellowtop, stereo components), so I’ll lose less of what I have invested in the 2000 when I sell it to recoup a few thousand dollars of what I spent on the new one. I’m looking forward to reading about all of your mods and experiences with the 4th gen, this site has always been an extremely helpful resource and I look forward to speaking more with all of you once I receive it home from being shipped cross country. Until then, a few photos of it in it’s current stock condition:

AE4D40F8-6C07-4793-9055-C4E926B4FB62.jpeg

93802DCB-34CC-403A-B400-8209A7074693.jpeg

B5EFB0AB-0393-4004-8C80-17F47BF94D08.jpeg

FEBAC557-3142-46A1-AFA7-7906875CFE05.jpeg

Why travel cross country to buy an 11 year old Explorer you might ask? It was in the best condition, attractively priced, and Vancouver Island is known for it’s mild winters where no road salt is used. There is no rust on any of the door jambs, pinch weld door seams, hardly even a spot on the frame rails. It was worth the trip and I look forward to seeing what kind of extra power I can get out of the V8 model. Will update this thread as I update the truck, look forward to sharing my experiences with you all.

- Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice rig...well, both of 'em! ;)

Both look great! I don't blame you for traveling to find the right one. I got my Explorer from 1000 miles away.

Congrats! That is a really clean and low mileage V8!

first off, awesome rig!

Word of advice with 4th X. be religious with oil changes! change the tranny fluid, transfer case every 60k and the diffs at 80k. the engines need regular maintenance ( ignore ford service intervals they are BS) but they will go 200k+

good luck and were all here for support!

first off, awesome rig!

Word of advice with 4th X. be religious with oil changes! change the tranny fluid, transfer case every 60k and the diffs at 80k. the engines need regular maintenance ( ignore ford service intervals they are BS) but they will go 200k+

good luck and were all here for support!

Thanks a lot! I usually do full synthetic oil changes every 10,000kms (approx. 6,000 miles). There are only 108,000kms (about 67,100 miles) original on this truck, so I plan on doing transmission and transfer case fluids as soon as it arrives from shipping, and will swap the diff fluid shortly after. I'm trying to determine if my aftermarket 8.8in. rear diff cover will fit the rear end on this new truck. It looks like it might when I checked the rear axle, although the stock rear diff cover appears to bolt to a crossmember on the underbody so I'm not sure if that will prevent me from installing it yet.

What is out there for bolt-on power adding? My early research has found some intake kits, underdrive pulleys, cat-back exhaust, and software tuning of course. Are there any mustang throttle bodies that bolt on to this intake manifold? I assumed there would be some good HP adding stuff since the 4.6L V8 seems to have a lot of aftermarket support since it also came in the Mustang from that same era.

the rear and front carrier are fixed carriers. on the IFS and RFS 8.8 have cross members very close or are build into the cross member.
stay away from the Cold Air intake just a gimmick on these trucks for the price IMO. better idea to get better high flow filter for factory air box. a bored Throttle body or the f150 TB. ( no need for MAF upgrade its only a few mm different).
you can get aftermarket catback or just straight pipe off the Y pipe. the O2 sensors are in the y pipe. aftermarket headers for mustang are bolt-on BUT the clearances are crazy tight you will prolly need to slightly hammer or bend a bit. nothing major.

will need a tune for full potential after these mods.

the rear and front carrier are fixed carriers. on the IFS and RFS 8.8 have cross members very close or are build into the cross member.
stay away from the Cold Air intake just a gimmick on these trucks for the price IMO. better idea to get better high flow filter for factory air box. a bored Throttle body or the f150 TB. ( no need for MAF upgrade its only a few mm different).
you can get aftermarket catback or just straight pipe off the Y pipe. the O2 sensors are in the y pipe. aftermarket headers for mustang are bolt-on BUT the clearances are crazy tight you will prolly need to slightly hammer or bend a bit. nothing major.

will need a tune for full potential after these mods.

Thanks for the pointers! Is the F150 throttle body for the same model years, as in search for a TB from a 2006-2010 F150 and it's a direct bolt-on upgrade?

Thanks for the pointers! Is the F150 throttle body for the same model years, as in search for a TB from a 2006-2010 F150 and it's a direct bolt-on upgrade?
should be direct bolt in. however you bolt it in upside down if i remember correctly. there should be a post on here about it.

should be direct bolt in. however you bolt it in upside down if i remember correctly. there should be a post on here about it.

Got it, thanks again! With some searching (the search function has always been a little tricky on this site), I found BBK part#1759, which looks to fit the 5.4L Triton V8 from the Expedition and F150 for similar model years to the 4th gen. I remember when I put the 70mm Mustang TB on my current 2nd gen, it also bolted on "upside down". Looking forward to start ordering some of these bolt on parts!

Got it, thanks again! With some searching (the search function has always been a little tricky on this site), I found BBK part#1759, which looks to fit the 5.4L Triton V8 from the Expedition and F150 for similar model years to the 4th gen. I remember when I put the 70mm Mustang TB on my current 2nd gen, it also bolted on "upside down". Looking forward to start ordering some of these bolt on parts!
Yup BBK was the brand!

Installed a K&N intake. Already enjoying the vastly improved power and throttle response. The engine finally sounds like a V8. The stock system seems quite anemic by comparison and was clearly designed with the intention of maximizing noise reduction for the interior environment. I’m happy to report those days are over.
:burnout:
D5618A54-5189-40A5-AFAD-B01734F2EF5D.jpeg

22C549C4-54CF-46C7-8437-5E0BCE995628.jpeg

I think I want to get the same thing for mine.. :)

I have the same intake on my 08. It does get a bit loud, but definitely breathes better. Word of advice: remove the clamp from the air filter and use 4 self tapping screws to hold it on. As it gets older and the heat cycles under the hood the filter will “dry out” and shrink where it attaches to the tube and pop off randomly.

Got my quicklift struts for the front today. Part #’s RS999924 and RS999939 for the front left and right are still available on eBay if anyone is considering this mod. On closer inspection of the struts, I can’t really tell if there’s anything about them that differs between the “front left” and “front right” side. Anyone who own a set already have any clarification here?

267EA78B-B7B4-43A1-9427-2574D2088574.jpeg

Got my quicklift struts for the front today. Part #’s RS999924 and RS999939 for the front left and right are still available on eBay if anyone is considering this mod. On closer inspection of the struts, I can’t really tell if there’s anything about them that differs between the “front left” and “front right” side. Anyone who own a set already have any clarification here?

View attachment 176573

wonder if left vs right has to do with where the adjustable damper toggle ends up.

wonder if left vs right has to do with where the adjustable damper toggle ends up.
After some research, both part numbers are 100% identical.

Front quicklift struts were installed recently. It appears to have achieved significantly more lift than the 1” advertised for the V8 model. I am assuming they may settle slightly after some use. In looking at both wheel well gaps, I may end up trying to source a set for the rear despite them being discontinued, or look into the possibility of doing the strut tower spacers in the rear, in order to prevent the “squatting rear end” appearance if I am ever towing or hauling anything heavy. All this being said, I am incredibly pleased with the ride quality, and have set the front struts to setting 7/9 for all-around daily driving use.

D9595C4B-42A0-41FC-A709-5FBC763AEF7B.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back