200,000 mile update | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

200,000 mile update

rayethan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mercury Mountaineer
I just rolled over 200,000 in my 2008 Mountaineer and I thought I post an update on it. I'm not the original owner of this Mounty, but it has been very reliable. I have AWD Premier model the 4.6L 3-valve V-8 with the 6R transmission and the towing package.

Exterior: It has held up ok. Mine is the pearl tri-coat which is impossible to color match. I've got some rust issues around the passenger side rear quarter panel near the door and on the front of the hood. I live in Michigan and drive it in the winter, so rust is going to happen. I also have the power running boards. Those are joke. Maybe they work ok in Arizona, but not here in the winter. I finally got them extended and pulled the fuse years ago and drive like that ever since.

Interior: It is in good condition. No cracks in the leather. I put in Weather Tech floor liners. A must have around here. Everything works as it should. I have the third row seats that I never use. The rear climate control still works. Can't say I'm a big fan of the touchscreen radio/nav. I have the Mach system and it does play music, loud, so there's that. In-car tech has changed so much in 10+ years. I don't think I ever use Sync voice.

Engine and drive train: I did have the battle with the original two-piece spark plugs. The Lisle tool works wonders. On my second go round with the plugs I did have one seized in the head due to water getting in around the boot. Finally got it out without damaging the head, but it was a challenge. For me, changing the plugs and the coils solved the weird driveability issue. I've been trying to keep the oil changes between 3,000 to 5,000 miles. I'm using HM oil without issues. I add some Seafoam on occasion. I do wish it got better mileage, but it is a V-8. I'd say I average about 16-18 mpg. Around 9 mpg when I'm towing. I does tow like a champ.
That 6R transmission is the bomb. I decided to buy this Mounty rather than put a 3rd transmission in my 2004 Explorer. I've been regular in changing the transmission fluid and filter along with the differentials and transfer case fluids. Cheap insurance.

So, what have I done? I replaced the radiator after the plastic cracked. I've been through a couple of exhaust manifolds. Those factory manifold studs just don't cut it. I've replaced the rear windshield wiper motor a couple of times. (I just saw a write up on here about that. My local junk yard usually has 50% off parts on holidays, so that has been my solution to that problem.) I've been through both front wheel bearings. Went with Timken on the replacements and haven't had any issues since.

I plan on driving it into the ground unless I hit a deer first. Although, around here hitting a deer and driving around with half of your front end shows your redneck chops. #boonies

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced a 2002 XLT with the 2010 Mountaineer I have now. The main reason I went with this year and drive train was for long term reliability. After finding out about the water pump issues in the 5th gen V6 Explorers, I decided a 4th gen V8 with the 6r80 transmission was my best bet. It is good to see you are still going strong at 200k miles. I plan to drive this one into the ground too and seeing you get to 200k on the original engine and transmission is comforting. Luckily, I live in an area where snow is very infrequent so rust isn't a big concern. I too believe in frequent fluid changes all around. Especially with the transmission. A pleasant surprise for me with this vehicle is finding I can get 20 mpg if I keep the speed between 60-65 mph. The old 2002 XTL with a V8 got 15 mpg no matter what I did. I also have the Sync navigation system and do like it, It seems fairly capable to me for a 2010 system. I do chuckle when the navigation screen shows me off roading quite a bit due to my area having developed so many new roads over the past 10 years. It gets really confused at times.

May your next 100k miles be trouble free.

I just rolled over 200,000 in my 2008 Mountaineer and I thought I post an update on it. I'm not the original owner of this Mounty, but it has been very reliable. I have AWD Premier model the 4.6L 3-valve V-8 with the 6R transmission and the towing package.

Exterior: It has held up ok. Mine is the pearl tri-coat which is impossible to color match. I've got some rust issues around the passenger side rear quarter panel near the door and on the front of the hood. I live in Michigan and drive it in the winter, so rust is going to happen. I also have the power running boards. Those are joke. Maybe they work ok in Arizona, but not here in the winter. I finally got them extended and pulled the fuse years ago and drive like that ever since.

Interior: It is in good condition. No cracks in the leather. I put in Weather Tech floor liners. A must have around here. Everything works as it should. I have the third row seats that I never use. The rear climate control still works. Can't say I'm a big fan of the touchscreen radio/nav. I have the Mach system and it does play music, loud, so there's that. In-car tech has changed so much in 10+ years. I don't think I ever use Sync voice.

Engine and drive train: I did have the battle with the original two-piece spark plugs. The Lisle tool works wonders. On my second go round with the plugs I did have one seized in the head due to water getting in around the boot. Finally got it out without damaging the head, but it was a challenge. For me, changing the plugs and the coils solved the weird driveability issue. I've been trying to keep the oil changes between 3,000 to 5,000 miles. I'm using HM oil without issues. I add some Seafoam on occasion. I do wish it got better mileage, but it is a V-8. I'd say I average about 16-18 mpg. Around 9 mpg when I'm towing. I does tow like a champ.
That 6R transmission is the bomb. I decided to buy this Mounty rather than put a 3rd transmission in my 2004 Explorer. I've been regular in changing the transmission fluid and filter along with the differentials and transfer case fluids. Cheap insurance.

So, what have I done? I replaced the radiator after the plastic cracked. I've been through a couple of exhaust manifolds. Those factory manifold studs just don't cut it. I've replaced the rear windshield wiper motor a couple of times. (I just saw a write up on here about that. My local junk yard usually has 50% off parts on holidays, so that has been my solution to that problem.) I've been through both front wheel bearings. Went with Timken on the replacements and haven't had any issues since.

I plan on driving it into the ground unless I hit a deer first. Although, around here hitting a deer and driving around with half of your front end shows your redneck chops. #boonies
So the 100K one I'm likely to get is just broken in. That is really NOT bad for a car that age. Even toyotas have issues.

I have 104K on my 2010 V8 and just replaced the front wheel bearings. Other than that, we've been fine.

Another happy 3 valve owner here. Bought mine Feb of 09 with 14k on it, now has about 105k. Early model build, so had many of the weak parts that would eventually need replacement.
Now on its 3rd set of Michelins, couple sets of brakes; timkens on all 4 corners; moog upper arms, lower ball joints, outer tr's; 1 rear axle seal; 2 pinion seals; both rear abs rings; Monroe quick struts all around; hvac blower control; 1 3rd row seat motor, many sets of plugs and of course 1 rad. Swapped the Monroe rear struts for kyb last year as one of the Monroe's was done.
Manifolds were removed, planed and ported, all studs removed (2 were broken) and replaced with s/s.
Oil change every 6 months with synthetic, trans filter changed twice, pan drain and refill on 3 year interval now that drain plug has been welded to pan. Pull plugs every 12 months to clean and lube, still on original coils.
That's all I can think of. lol

Previously had a 91 eb, 93 xlt and 99 eb sohc. Took about 6 months to find this one, would only trade up to a 2010. Have no interest in anything else. The 4th gens have the size, comfort and power for my needs, enjoy every minute behind the wheel.

Bill, I have a 2010 that has been great, nowhere near all the problems you've had with low mileage. Maybe it's the add'l four years, maybe you just got a bad one. Most are fairly trouble free at least for the first 100K.

Actually a lot of what I replaced was preventative type maintenance. I had all of the front suspension parts, gaskets and studs for when a manifold started to leak. Pulled everything out of the way to better access the manifold. Suspension parts would have to be replaced at some point anyways.
Had 1 rear bearing get noisy, so replaced both and a leaking axle seal at same time.
As I said, mine was a very early build (late Aug 05), so I was prepared for many of the known weal kinks. Had the parts, necessary tools and have the time. (retired and an old gearhead)
And best of all, most of the how 2's are found right on this site. Many good people of offer advice when needed.

. . .
I plan on driving it into the ground unless I hit a deer first.

+1 on all that. We've got a 2007 Mountaineer, same model, same engine & trans, same color, 230K+. Same rust spots. Right side power running board broke at the mounting bracket so we removed it, left one got replaced at the end of the extended warranty and still works. Issues with plugs every 50K but we have a family friend who's a Ford dealer mechanic so we give him the dirty plug work. Had issues with coils failing, especially after any heavy rain, until I covered the underside of the cowl with foil-backed sealing tape to keep the water out of the plug holes.

Replaced the radiator a couple of times, that Y-shaped hose to the rear heater a couple of times, rotors at every brake service, 3 or 4 batteries, front hubs once, Monroe quick struts once, throttle body once, changed trans fluid & filter once, ignition switch a couple times (need to take some keys off the key ring), had to run a jumper to the PCM because of a broken wire.

Still enjoy driving it.

I have an 2006 4.6L Premier at 198,000 miles now. They say never buy the first model year, and they're right. I was 2nd owner when I bought it Dec 2011 with 60k on the clock. I also bought an aftermarket 3 year extended warranty - BEST PURCHASE EVER!!!

Its black, so touching up light scratches is easy to match. The only rust was on the lip of the hood. I just sanded it down, painted and put a plastic air deflector on it. There's a little surface rust here and there. Interior has held up really well. Radio/Nav are fine for me. I added the hidden blue-tooth module which runs through SAT 1 and upgraded the Nav DVD to 13. Auto running boards never worked and were removed years ago after the rust completely ate through the supports and collapsed when my daughter stood on it. Most of the suspension system (struts, control arms, bushings, etc....) have been replaced. Some items more than once. The life-time warranty on parts and life-time alignment Firestone sells saves alot of bucks.

All the usual items people post on here have been replaced and fixed. Radiator, all hoses and the Y and related stuff used for the rear heat been replaced. Rear seat lift thingy replaced. 1st plug change at the dealer was $600 - only 4 broke. Manifold and bolts replaced. They had to pull the engine due to broken bolts. The dealer ate most of the cost on the one. Engine still ticks. I doubt I'll replace the cam phasers before getting rid of it. Got the tranny reflashed. I fixed the spring latch on the arm rest. Rear diff, rear axles, drive line, transfer case have all been replaced with used eBay parts.

I will say, the engine has never left me stranded, except when I blew the rad hose. I've only changed the tranny fluid one and it still runs great. I was getting around 13.5 mpg avg. It recently dropped to 12.2.

And I've already hit my first deer last winter

Walt:
That Mountaineer you have is a BEAST .Mine's just an ole guys daily driver.

I have an '07 XLT V6. I am at 311k.I got it as program vehicle with 25k on it. I have original engine. Repaired transmission 3x AFTER 190k on it.i have done a ton of preventative parts replacement. I do have a timing rattle though.....SOB...but it's been great. Gonna repair it and run it until I can't. If I won the lottery..it would go in the shop to replace what little I haven't done myself.

2006 4.6l, 192k. I've only had it since April but so far it's been pretty great considering the teen that had it before me definitely didn't care too much about maintenance or even Washing it considering the amount of underbody rust, along with finding that there was conventional oil in it on the first oil change i did :/ Otherwise the body rust isn't too bad, it starting to get little rust spots on the tailgate right at the bottom of the glass, it has some on both the front fenders on the very bottom in front of the doors, along with some on the doors in the same area, steering seems to be getting slightly loose so I probably need to get a whole front end job done on it, oil changes ever 5k with Mobil 1 full synthetic extended performance, still feels extremely quick and I've really loved having it for a first vehicle, I definitely need a driveshaft as I've checked the play in it and it definitely has more than I like, and there is somewhat of a clunk from drive to reverse, transmission has the classic bump shift issues from software but still works perfectly, so far I've done, thermostat, tires, oil, and then some of my own little modifications such as a new sound system, painted the ugly peeling chrome grille metallic black, dashcam, led fogs and headlights, and that's about it for now until I get some extra cash;) definitely gonna need some work soon enough but that's expected for 192k. I'm also a "teen" (18) but I'm one that wants to make sure this truck will run for at least another 100k. Wish me luck!

Back