How to correct the displayed miles per gallon? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to correct the displayed miles per gallon?

dB2000

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 XLT
What could have happened?
The miles per gallon displayed on the dash were close to my manual calculations of miles driven per gallons filled. But then after I bought new tires of the same size and profile but ones that were also better for mud and snowy roads it suddenly made a big change. I also had the single platinum spark plugs replaced with double platinum plugs about the same time. This change was from showing 17 - 19.2 miles per gallon to 13.2 -14.4 miles per gallon.
However, since this sudden change in the display the manual calculations for miles per gallon have average 16.5 mpg to 19 mpg averaging 17.1 gallons over several tank fulls. All four wheels were aligned two or three weeks ago but the mpg remains off , 13.8 mpg.
Back ground info:
Plugs and tires were changed at around 109k miles. I have 111k miles now.
The Truck is a 2009 Explorer XLT, 2-wheel drive, 4L V-6, automatic transmission. I presume it has the standard 355 rear end. It has a factory Class III/IV towing hitch on it but it does not have a transmission cooler. Search of the VIN number does not list it as having a towing package which would also say it has a 373 rear end. Thus, I think the towing hitch was added by the previous owner.
Nonstandard rims and tires, 245/60 R18, have been on it from before I owned it and remain the same that now. (door tag says it was made with 235/70 R16)
I have owned the vehicle for 1.5 years starting at 88k miles.
Last summer on a round trip from San Diego to Big Sky resort in Montana the "mpg" always showed 15.5 to 19.2 miles per gallon. The 15.5 was from lumbering through some mountains dirt roads.

Not all 245/60 R18 or any other tire size, will not be the same circumference.
Stated differently the new tires might have a smaller diameter and will turn more
RPM than a "bigger" 245/60 R18.

How is the speedo over a calibrated distance?
I also assume nothing is wrong mech. too.

An easy way to check your speedo is to install a speedo app on your phone and check what it says when the speedo says 60mph. mine was off slightly, so i put a slightly bigger tire on and now its perfect.

Back