• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Question

countrymz

Reaction score
City, State
Pine Bush, NY and Clemson, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I am looking to replace my transfer case. I went looking online and wanted to know the difference between the 4405 and the 1354. is the 4405 for the 5.0?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i couldn't tell you, but if you look at your transfer case there should be a metal tag on it with the model number of it. are you just looking for the same t-case or are you looking to get a better one? if you're looking for the same one, call around several scrap yards. the new t-cases aren't worth the money. i got mine for a hell of a lot cheaper when my old t-case went out on me.

I was looking at www.woodfins.com or something and the choices were those two models. I wanted to know the difference in the two. It seems like the rebuilt models online all go for around 800+ with a 300+ core charge.

i paid 550 including shipping for my t-case from a scrap yard in alabama or something like that off of an explorer same year and everything as mine with 40000 miles on it. didn't have to trade mine either. there are a couple online sites that you put in a reqeust and give them your email address and scrapyards across the united states tell you if they have the part and how much etc. you need to do some long distance phone calls, but in the end shopping around saves you much cash. i forgot the names of the sites or i'd give them to you. do a search on google. good luck

OK I checked around and it seems there are good prices for used transfer cases.
Here's the real question, Should i replace mine straight up OR should I replace it with the 13-54 manual t-case?
I would like your opinions from the guys who have done this to there 95+ explorers with an auto tranny. How tough was the install? Where did you get the shift lever, hump plate and boot? Hows it work offroad?
Thanks alot!

I think you should go manual because it's alot cheaper, and t-case is stronger too.

hello,
i have a 95 xlt. my 44-05 went out and i was faced with the same problem. first off a 13-54 electric shift will bolt up but with the electrical connection will not fit. the plugs are totally different. the 44-05 is like a 20pin sqyare plug and the 13-54 is a 8 pin round. im sure that a skilled electrician could follow the wiring diagrams and rig up the e13-54 to the stock 44-05 wires. the actual cases are the same the yokes and flanges match perfectly. i went with the 13-54 manual shift tcase. it bolted up great and the only scarry thing is cutting a hole for the shift lever in the floor board:eek:
the front end is engaged by a vacumm actuated coupling. this was engaged when you flipped the switch on your dash. so it engaged tcase and front end at the same time. when i eleminated the tcase i thought tha ti could just switch the nobb on the dash and engage the front end BUT becasue the tcase was not there it did not engage. SOOO(big breath) i took teh electric shift motor off of the old tcase and cable tied it inside the frame. i can now use my stock switch to engage the front end. this acts like an electric manual hub selector.

as far as performance - the man 13-54 verses the e44-05 is no comparrison. the 13-54 operates like a true 4x4. 50/50 torque front and rear. i love this set up. it is unique and makes my sophmore model ex more offroad worthy. it might be mental but when i shift the lever i know im in 4x4 and what my baby can do.

emai lwith any questions ill be glad to help any way i can!

Thanks for helping out. Thats the kind of response i was looking for! Why did you have to cut the floor boards? Is there a hump plate that will work? Anyway thanks for the help. I always loved driving older pickups with a manual 4x4. The feeling of pulling on the lever and knowing power is going to the front end is reassuring. Its time to go junk yard hunting!.

i had to cut th efloor cuz ima lazy cheap ass and didnt want to buy the tranny hump plate. speedo sensor went in liek a charm!!!

Well, I ordered by Manual shift Borg Warner 13-54 on Friday. Its supposed to be here Thursday! I will hopefully have fourwheel drive again this weekend. What kind of oil do you guys recommend for the t-case?

whatever atf you use. i think i used aamaco atf last time.

I would like to point out one thing.
By putting in a manual T-case, you no longer have "Control Trac", but I'm also sure you don't really care. The few times that I actually used it, in the snow, I liked it, however I really like my AtlasII a whole lot better and can live without the Control Trac option myself.

I was never a fan of the control trac. It always kicked in when i was in a controlled slide in snow and would jerk the truck around too much. It also seemed to grab alot when in a turn while in fourwheel drive and yank the wheel a little.I like the idea of being in four wheel drive when its engaged better then when a computer tells the transfer case to do it. Thanks for your input though.

countrymz--did you ever get you tcase in and installed?

Happy trails!!

No transfer case, No install

Nope never did. The yard i was buying it from called up and told me that UPS damaged it so they had to return it. How do you damage a transfer case? Drop it from 15 feet? Anyway. I've started to look around again for another one.

Back