Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
Who has one?

Who did you get it from? I know of the Mr Alternator site - where else can I get one?

What size did you get? I'm thinking 200amps range (for the winch).

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was going to buy through them so they could powder coat mine. :)

Nick

Matt Adams and I both have the same ones. 130 Amp I belive. His seems to hold up good to winching from what I have seen. I don't have a winch yet but I am prepared for it. :) We got them through Carquest it was the biggest Motocraft AMP out there.

130 is stock isnt it? I thought thats what I had at least. It might have been replaced. Dont remember.. but I have a stereo system in and everytime my sub hits, the lights dim. No good!

Nick

my Explorer had a 65 amp stock (at least thats what I could tell from the codes). I've used the winch a few times, only two or three times at a really heavy pull for a long amount of time, occasionally with the stereo on (haven't had the winch, lights and stereo on at the same time yet) and haven't had any problems yet... by the way I also have a Optima red-top battery. 130 amp came stock in some Explorers but certainly not all of them.

Don't know what the standard alternator rating was for the '93s and '94s, but for '99 it was 95 amps for all models (at least that's what my operator manual says).

Try powermaster.com they have one that idles at 120 amps and at 250 amps while you drive. The only problem is the price 450$$$$$ OUCH. just Email them with the year of the truck and they will give you the info! Good luck!

[Edited by NOWAKJON on 06-27-2000 at 08:25 PM]

I wouldnt swear to whats under my hood. Just that 130 was in my head for some reason. :)

Nick

matt - I am also considering getting an optima type battery - just haven't decided on who (interstate owns optima now, and supposedly you get a better warranty from them than from optima) and which one; I'm considering the yellow top - it's fully capable of starting the truck, and yet handle the deep discharge of a winch.

But, I figure I also need a hi-po alternator, so I can *charge* that battery up.

I saw an ad for a Premier welding setup - 200 amps, $1k. includes the welder and ac output!

So does any have an alternator from Mr. Alternator? What has been your experience with it? 200amp for $195 sounds pretty dang good.. But, they don't post specs (200amps at what engine rpm? what's the idle current?)

Get the Red top Optima. Those are awsome. That think can run my stereo with the car off for what seems forever... and I have an amp and sub... Works great.

Nick

For the record

I have a 94 Mazda Navajo and the stock alternator is 95 amps. Just replaced mine last year, and put another 95 in it.

Honestly, I would bag the idea of putting in a $200+ 200ampere alternator (which is most likely not as reliable in the long run as your stock 95 ampere unit). My experience with modified alternators is that they tweek the regulator and put in higher rated diode sets, but they dont usually upgrade the stator windings (this is more costly). The number one thing that kills alternators is heat, and now you have doubled the output of the alternator without beefing up one very important component. Thus the stator runs hotter and the insulation on the stator fails earlier. If you do buy one of the modified alternators, make sure to ask them if they have rewound the stator...

What I would do (just my humble opinion) is install a second battery for the winch (it would have to be mounted in back or externally somehow) with an isolator to keep the winch from draining your main battery. This way you still charge the aux battery from the alternator, but never lose the functionality of your main battery. You can then also buy a paralleling switch (basically a starter relay) to connect both batteries in parallel incase you run into major juice problems.

Just one option to consider before spending $200+ on an alternator...

-Paul O.

Im looking into an alternator because of my stero system... I dont think another batter would help. Plus.. in order to mount a second batter under the hood the wiper fluid has to be removed...

Nick

Back