• Register Today It's free!

Amp question...about class

JoKKer

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
What is the diffrence in the class B, C, D, etc... I have no idea and was just curious. I did a search and couldn't find anything about what I was looking for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Different Classes

Thats a good question, not many poeple know about the different classes. The thing about the different classes in amps are based on the stageing of power with componets are being used in an amp. Some class will use transistors and resistors for lower power, where some will use coils and diodes for higher power, and the last will use a combination of the two (Transistor, resistors and coils, diodes) for the most power. I hope that anwers your question.

Thank you gentlemen. That does clear it up for me.

Class A/B amps are also multi-channel amps. These are generally used on non-subwoofer speakers (your regular internal speakers and tweeters) due to their low THD ratings. A THD rating is basically the distortion ratio, a low THD rating will produce a cleaner amplified signal. This is very important if you are trying to achieve optimum SQ (Sound Quality).

Class D amps are Mono, or 1-channel, amps designed specifically to run subs. They tend to have a higher THD rating then most Class A/B amps, but it is not as diminishing to the SQ of bass frequencies as it is mids/highs frequencies. Most Class D amps also only come with a Low Pass filter (only allows frequencies under the filter setting to be amplified/sent to the sub), where as most Class A/B amps have both Low and High Pass filters (high pass filters work the same way, except they only allow frequencies over the filter setting to be amplified/sent to the speakers).

Class A/B amps also tend to have higher minimum ohm stability levels then Class D amps. Most Class A/B amps are only 2ohm Stereo/4ohm Mono stable, where as most Class D Mono amps are at least 2ohm Mono stable.

Class A/B - you can use on all speakers, including subs
Class D - you would only want to use on subs

There are other class amps out there as well (but most are derrivitives of either Class A/B or Class D)

Back