Fram = HORRIBLE FILTER | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fram = HORRIBLE FILTER

yes however it is good to have an oil analysis once in a while to check the condition of your engine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not for me; why would I want to trow away perfectly good oil at 3k intervals when I can go as much as 20k?

But to each his/her own......

Who cares if the oil is perfectly good. You just paid 20 bucks to test it when you could have paid 20 bucks and had brand new fresh oil. No matter what fresh oil is better than old oil that passed the test.

Sorry, I do not run $20 oil; my oil, Amsoil Series 2000 0w30, runs $8.35 a quart plus a $10 K & N filter.

Like I said, to each his own.....

i've used Fram and i noticed valvetrain noise at startup also, then i heard how bad the fram filters are so i switched to motorcraft filters and their isn't any noise at startup and the oil seems to stay cleaner

Thanks guys for confirming that my Mobil ONe Synth and Motocraft FL1-a is the way to go.
Also I go about 5K between changes, unless I tow for a long haul.

With the synth oil 3K is just too early and not needed.

I used a Fram fuel filter once about 5 years ago, the truck idled like crap. Changed back to Motocraft and problem was fixed.

Also I saw many years ago, in a Napa I believe a cutwawy of a Fram compared to a standard Napa filter....YIKES! I will never use a Fram again. Which is a shame because Fram used to be the best you could buy, the original and the best, now its quantity over at Fram, not quality.

If you want to know if your oil filter is working, cut it open after your next change.

If you want to see how good a fram is compared to the others, run a Fram on your next change, cut it open. Then run another filter (Motocraft, Mobil, K&N) and cut it open....notice the difference???

Oil filters are oil filters to me. 121K miles on myster filters for me, and no problems yet...

Great, maybe I oughta delete this post. ;)

I have owned 6 cars myself and always used whatever oil and filter was cheapest when I bought it. Never had the money to buy the really good $10 filter. Every car but one lasted for over 120,000 miles. I sold all of them and they were running as good or better than the day I bought them. The one that didn't last had a failure in the transmission that was unrelated to the engine. It doesn't seem to matter what you use, as long as you change the oil and filter at the recommended interval. Food for thought and my $.02.

Ill stick with my cheap quaker state 4x4 oil and my $10 K&n filter for my ex. All this arguing is too much work over a simple oil change.

does anyone on here run a larger capacity filter than the FL-1A?
Ive been doing some reading over at the oildrop forum and they seem to all be running a larger filter?
I was thinking the one for the 5.0 v8 would be the one to get but I wasnt sure and wanted some feedback.
thanks

i used the wix one time it seemed to be a quailty filter it is just twice as long the only reason why i don't use it is because i am afraid i am gonna bust it offroading

ok, thanks Billy.
I don't go offroading so Knocking it loose is not a concern for me

o ya it holds 1 extra quart

so, would you think that the 5.0 v8 filter from Motorcraft is the one to get?

5.0 guys please chime in on the size of your filter relative to the SOHC.

thanks
-chris

i think all explorers use the FL1-A

The V8 filter is different from the SOHC one, however, Its capacity is the same.

the FL-1A Motorcraft has the same threads as a FL-820S

but the FL-1A is longer,

i would use the bigger filter on my car, except their isn't enough room for it

oh, and if your gonna use a Fram you should just go to Advanced Auto and buy their brand of filters, cause they are pretty much the same but cost less,

same with the Supertech oil filters, they are Fram's but cheaper

the super tech filter is not a fram it is actually an allright filter it uses metal endcaps and has more filter media than the frams

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh, well then your better off getting a supertech anyway

Back