Fram = HORRIBLE FILTER | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fram = HORRIBLE FILTER

I suppose i'll play devil's advocate here.. But does any one have any actual proof to back up that fram filters are garbage? I've seen the test on bob the oil guys website and alot of his tests seem to be biased and/or incomplete. I'd love to see some actual tests done by a reputable testing company. I've been running a Fram X2 filter with mobil 1 in my truck for almost 2 years now with no problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Doug
I've been running a Fram X2 filter with mobil 1 in my truck for almost 2 years now with no problems.

Please explain what no problems means? Have you done an oil analysis to determine if there are any hidden problems?

Thanks.....

Doug, I haven't actually lab tested a Fram filter, but I can say for a fact that when I used the basic orange Fram filter I always got engine knock at startup, just like that report stated in reference to the Fram filter's lack of anti-drain valve ability. When I read that report I swapped the Fram for another filter the very next day - and the startup knock immediately went away. I know that my one experience isn't sufficient to support statistically validity, but it was enough to keep me from ever using one again. I'd rather not take the chance - and engine knock at startup is proof positive of insufficient oilflow in the critical first seconds, something I don't want to be doing to my engine.

I've never experienced any knock or tapping on start up with any of my trucks and i've been using fram filters for a while. I do have an oil change coming up and I might try another filter to see if i notice any differences. It's just kinda funny to see people slamming what is known as a reputable company based on hear say and incomplete information. No Al, I haven't had an oil analysis done, I never felt the need to spend the time and money on such things. I leave that to the people with large deisel trucks. I have put over 40k miles on my truck since I first purchased it and have not noticed any decrease in performance. And assuming the fram filter doesnt filter as well as others at this point an oil analysis would be pretty pointless. there arent many people sending in oil from explorer's to be analyzed so there is going to be no basis for comparision. Doing oil analysis every oil change at this point would only help indicate future problems not tell if i have any currently.

Yuck Fram.. For the price of a Fram, I can get a Motorcraft FL-1A. I've noticed the same knocking & pinging when I used a Fram PH8A oil filter.. Not sure why but when I went back to Motorcraft, I had no problems..

The guys on the Volvo Forum also dump on the Fram filters.

I've read the literature that they provided too.

Quick question, If Motorcraft is the only one with the Back drip valve in the right spot, Why did Ford design an engine different from everybody else?

Anyway. I've always used Fram.

'75 jeep had better then 200000 on the Clock befor eI got fancy and repowered it with a Chevy HO 350

'85 Chevy pickup 274000 on the clock. No engine work other then a Timing Chain. Never had the Top or Bottom Open. Still running strong.

'89 Volvo 240000 miles on the Clock My everyday driver
no engine work other then timing belts every 40000.

the new-to-me '91 X is getting Fram now.
Maybe the others are better but I have a great history with the Fram.
AND I'm not using synthetic oil either. Castrol GTX 10-40 in everything ...including the motorcycles. They have better then 30000 miles on them too.

Just my experience

Doug, you are right to question it. I mean alot of the stuff you hear is here say and who knows which points are actually valid.

PLenty of people use Fram filters for the life of the vehicle with no issues, but these are the same people who change thier own oil which means they are at least aware of the miles between oil changes, etc. If you change the oil every 3k then your engine is already 1000 times better off then 90% of the engines out there, no matter what filter you use.

If you want to see why a Motocraft filter is a better choice over the Fram for the same $$$, cut them both open and look....common sense says you dont want that Fram junk in there............at least I dont.

just a simple test that you can do at the store while your standing in the aisle,

grab a fram filter in one hand and then a purolator or Motorcraft in the other,

which is heavier?

this means more filter media and metal endcaps

My X now has 64,000 miles on it and I have used fram filters and Mobil 1 since new. I just changed it and I never have had any kind of knock or noise from the motor. I had a slight ticking sound but there is a tsb on the OHV sixes about carbon build up. One use of motor vac carbon cleaner and the tick is gone and has not returned.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong, just trying to bring a different perspective. :p Hell you'll even find alot of people out there who tell you cleanable open element air filters allow more dirt into the motor.

all i know is my oil pressure was much lower with a fram

so which ones are the best?

motocraft
k&n
Mobil 1
Puralator

probrally others i missed

i thought the purolater had a drainback that was non compliant with ford specs, eventhough the motorcraft ones are made by purolater.....

also what about acdelcos brand? a local place here carries ac delco, and they have applications for fords and dodges as well..... im currently running an ac delco in my toyota and in dads ranger.....

As to the oil test question. There is way more to an oil analisys than is the oil OK. How do you know by draining the oil if you have high silicon (dirt) levels? This will make you go looking for intake system leaks you otherwise would not see. How about fuel dilution? What about popping positive for glycol?

i jsut pulled out one of my sample sheets and counted 6 physical property categories and 20 trace element categories.

As for the cost, you can find them cheaper than $20. I get mine from the Chevron oil dealer I buy my oil at for $10.

Like ai said there is way more to oil samling than just seeing if the vis is still there. It WILL show other potential problems.

You guys mention no knock with Motorcraft filters. I have an F150 with a 300 6 cyl in it and run FL1A's all the time and that thing just knocks away when you start it. Not valves either, Bearings.... Even check oil press 50 lbs at idle hot. Guess it's just likes to knock!

Oil testing is generally done on heavy machinery and large trucks to indicate if there is a problem with the motor, not so much to check the quality of the oil. They'll check for different amounts of metal. Say a company does oil samples regularly and they start seeing higher concentrations of copper in the oil that's generally a good indication the bearings are wearing out. So instead of having a bearing sieze and damage internal parts the company knows it's time to rebuild the motor so there will be less down time on thier part. oil tests also will give an indication if fuel is leaking past the rings into the crankcase or if one of the cylinder liners is leaking coolant into the crankcase. There are alot of things an oil test will tell you.

Anybody tell me why I'm not getting the thread updates in my email? What am I doing wrong?

you will only get one until you view the thread again

I click on recieve updates to this thread and I didn't get one for you post Billy 177. don't get them for my other post in different threads either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check to make sure you have the right e-mail in your profile

Back