Anyone ever experience Fram oil filter probs? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone ever experience Fram oil filter probs?

My old ranger has always had motorcraft on it (bought it new). The valve covers leak, but not the filters. My X will only get motorcraft as well from now on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used to use Fram doubleguard filters, but after reading all the horror stories I started to use Motorcraft. I just changed my oil and filter last Thursday and I decided to try the K&N oil filter. I am hoping that maybe I can keep it on a little bit longer than 5k miles. We'll see.

The V8's use shorter oil filters than the V6's because of the built-in oil-to-water cooler, and the P/S cooler.

I have always used the Motorcraft FL820S filter, with excellent results. Everyone sells them, and they're never more than $4. A larger filter may fit, but would hit the P/S cooler.

Go to bobistheoilguy.com

outside of the box a little here, the corvette has banded using fram filters on their cars, several units under harse acceleration have sucked the paper (coffee filter) element into the engine plugging up the oil system. I avoid using Fram.

i found after having problems with engine knocking at startup, to stay away from the frams......switched to motorcraft and purolator, haven't had any problems.

plus if you hold a fram in one hand and a purolator in the other there is a definite weight difference (fram is lighter)

never had any problems with a new seal not sealing properly though....that goes for any brand actually.

what pisses me off now is that Walmart has stopped selling Motorcraft all together....at least the one near me.

so now i can no longer get the motorcraft filters for under 3 bucks.

will have to go to advanced auto where they want more for any kind of oil filter :(

(my mistake they have the motorcraft filter back now :D)

I thought advance had sold them for around $3, I never really took notice on the price after reading that their one of the better filters. I also remember reading that Fram filters are all the same, no matter if its tough guard ect ect.

I guess it's all a matter of personel experience. If the filter does not work for you try another. I've been using Fram for over 15 years and never had a problem. I'm not disputing the fact that others have had problems I've just been lucky. Oil filters are cheap enough find the one thats right for you.

Oil Filter test results.

I thought that those who subscribed to this thread could benefit from the information in the following study on oil filters, done by the Bob Is The Oil Guy (BITOG) group:

Oil Filter Study

Ford_Racing_Guy said:
what pisses me off now is that Walmart has stopped selling Motorcraft all together....at least the one near me.

so now i can no longer get the motorcraft filters for under 3 bucks.

will have to go to advanced auto where they want more for any kind of oil filter
I have also noticed this in the stores near me, i was just there today and where the motorcraft filters were they now have motorcycle filters. I have been noticing less and less motorcraft filters and now there are none.

All my family has ever used has been Fram filters. We use them on everything from the farm truck to my father's '05 Explorer. Never in over probably 40 years total have we had a problem. I guess we are just lucky. Of course we have always used Quaker State oil which is supposed to be bad too.

Lloyd10977 said:
I thought that those who subscribed to this thread could benefit from the information in the following study on oil filters, done by the Bob Is The Oil Guy (BITOG) group:

Oil Filter Study

IMO, this study has been quoted far more than its limited scope justifies.

I'm grateful the guy did all that work; his findings may have merit.

But the fact is, he only looked at one example of each filter. As far as the funky Fram he opened, its most serious defects may have been one-off problems that weren't in the very next filter on the assembly line.

However, Fram blew it the way they threatened him. They told him not to post what he'd found. That suggested they knew they had assembly/materials problems. They should have offered the guy more samples, or use of their labs, or to co-sponsor another study, or something -- anything -- other than calling in the lawyers. That made them look like thugs with something to hide.

I still don't use Fram (Mobil 1 only), and I respect anyone else's choice in that matter. I just think, to state again, that I've seen this study quoted more than its limited sample justifies.

Fram might have been okay a long time ago, but the way they make filters nowadays I ,personally avoid using them.

Man this pisses me off. I just found out today that Wal-Mart no longer carries Motorcraft oil filters. I spent four hours and a lot of gas driving around LA trying to find a Motorcraft oil filter. I looked at Kragen, and Autozone but they too are no longer carrying Motorcraft. Finally found the last one (FL-1) at Pepboys, and was told by an employee that they too will discontinue selling Motorcraft filters sometime this year.

They have them at my Wal-Mart. Best advice I can give is to stock up now.

(UGH!!!) So who does carry them now? Are they going to quit making them or just raise prices at a prticular store?

O'reilly, Autozone, and Napa is all thats here.

I know Advance has 'em, because I just changed my oil with a Motorcraft filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never had any trouble from any oil filter, including many Frams. Old timers trick when replacing filter is to lube the new seal with the old one. Pull off old filter. Tap seal of old filter (facing up) against seal of new filter (facing down). Intstall new filter. This lubes the new seal and checks to make sure the old seal came off correctly all in one step. If you are doing multiple vehicles at the same time, this also works as one last check to make sure you grabbed the right filter before you try to spin it on.

Back