Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

AWD vs 4x4 4.6?

Thinking of purchasing a 2009 or 2010 v8 in either version. I currently have a 99 5.0 awd and really do like the awd in snow (no need to switch to 4x4) but would rather have the option to go back to 2wd when I don't need it. Fuel mileage in that thing is horrendous; I get around 11mpg in town...
  2. 9

4th Gen Shopper

I came here to make a thread about potentially buying an 09-10 Explorer 4.6 and glad I already found one. Id like to get another Limited with the V8 4x4 but cant seem to find any that dont have 100k miles or close to. Like stated, all cars have problems, some more so than others. I wouldnt mind...
  3. 9

Possible blend door problem? Need advice

I wasn't looking forward to doing the heater core at all lol. Ive done one in my 2002 Mustang, so I know the pain of pulling a dash and dealing with all of that stuff.
  4. 9

So I figured it out. I used a cheap wifi bore scope I bought off eBay and stuck it inside the vent to verify if the blend door was broken or not. To my delight, it was still working just fine. Last weekend, I added some Prestone super flush to the coolant, that was brown and very rusty...
  5. 9

99 5.0 Limited with EATC. Problem Ive had since buying the truck is weak heat when its under 50 outside. The truck has never had good heat unless I play around with the temp settings (going back and fourth from cold to hot) and even then, it doesnt last long. For instance, I had hot heat when I...
  6. 9

Hella Sharptone Horns Installed

The sharptones were supposed to have a lower tone than the supertones. These sound pretty European enough, couldnt image what the supertones are like in person.
  7. 9

Hella Sharptone Horns Installed

I think one of the factory horns stopped working, they just werent loud like I thought they should have been. So I bought these Hella Sharptones off of eBay and installed them today. Can't really say too much about them other than they are pretty loud and for $30, you can't beat them. I bought...
  8. 9

98 Explorer XLT- Auto Headlamps Not Working

Same issue with my 99 Limited. Headlights work just fine manually, mirror lights up green but no auto lamps.
  9. 9

exhaust manifold bolt replacements for 5.0 v8

The exhaust manifold gasket on the passenger side finally blew out at the port closest to the front of the truck. I need to replace the entire gasket but also would like to replace the bolts/studs at the same time. The front two fasteners came out before I bought the truck and I replaced them...
  10. 9

Gas gauge slow to respond on fillup

Ive got a 99 5.0 with a new fuel pump/sender unit. I had my normal Ford Independent shop do the work since its gotten cold here in Michigan. However, Ive noticed that my fuel gauge is very slow to respond to a fill-up, even with the truck off. Sometimes I have to wait about 15 minutes or longer...
  11. 9

Where is the day\night automatic sensor?

So if my auto lights are not working, but the light on the rear view mirror is coming on, could it be the rear view mirror sensor is in-fact bad?
  12. 9

Anyone have these 99-01 projector fogs?

I bet these with a set of hids will put out some decent light. I wish they would come out with a PnP set that had LEDs built in or a projector without the stupid halo. I might get these to try out after I finish a few other things on the truck.
  13. 9

Back up sensor bumper?

I wondered why there was a plug behind that tail light. I thought it was another hookup for trailer lights.
  14. 9

How often to change 4r70 fluid?

Thanks guys, looks like I'll add it to the list of things to get done. Mobil 1 synthetic is only $10 more per pack of 6 so Ill switch over to that while im at it.
  15. 9

How often to change 4r70 fluid?

My truck has 171k miles on it. I changed the original fluid and filter when I first bought it at 135k (or around there) miles. Used Castrol Transmax Mercon V fluid. Should I change it again? Ive had no problems with the trans besides torque converter shudder in OD. That was fixed with a...
  16. 9

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Im up to 171,x.. on my Explorer. Factory engine and trans still.
  17. 9

Questions about combining two Explorers

Im sure the wheel fit just fine, but you will most likely have to change the clockspring out with it so the cruise control buttons work. The radio and climate control most likely wont work at all. As far as the hatch goes. The body lines are similar but not totally the same around the tail...
  18. 9

Installed my Lund moon visor

Re size your pictures!
  19. 9

5.4L DOHC with a 4r100 in a 2nd gen? I'm going to try it........

They're low reving truck engines that dont make very good power in factory form unless it came with a supercharger. The 2v 5.4 makes the same hp as the 4.6 and only 48 ft-lb more. I know they can make 1000+ hp, so Im not saying they cant make power. Its just expensive to do so. Dont get me...
  20. 9

5.4L DOHC with a 4r100 in a 2nd gen? I'm going to try it........

The 5.4 blows in stock configuration. SOHC or DOHC.
  21. 9

HELP! truck wouldnt start this morning. ECT sensor?

I know I know! I would have never taken it to a shop if I was back home but when you're in another state 3 hours away, you have to do what you have to do. But back on point. I just arrived back home a little while ago and as soon as I got here I tested out the new spliced in connector...
  22. 9

HELP! truck wouldnt start this morning. ECT sensor?

My 5.0 wouldnt start this morning. I had it towed to a local firestone repair shop (im out of town) and they said the ECT sensor was reporting 112 degree temps or something like that. They replaced it saying that was the problem of the truck not starting. Even though I couldnt get the fuel pump...
  23. 9

Projector mod, different from the rest...

Alot of work vs a Mini H1 but theyre free so you cant beat that.
  24. 9

OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8

Can't be mad for jumping on them when they were available.
  25. 9

Adding Bluetooth to 1999 Explorer with CD Changer

I have that PIE adapter (2nd link) and it works fine if you dont plugging in your phone every time. I would like to find something that will interface with the factory harness and allow me to add BT and control it through the steering wheel but I havent found anything yet. The only other option...
Back