Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 92exp4x4

first start

When you install the cam sensor there is a specific timing sequence you need to do. The manual even wants you to hook up a harness and use a volt meter to set it properly. I can post it here, but it will be later. Im away from the house at the moment.
  2. 92exp4x4

first start

Does the truck have a cam sensor? Cali emissions vehicles and all 94 engines had that and EGR. Could it be out of time? I almost wonder if you have a mechanical timing issue that the computer can compensate for at idle, but as soon as the engine is loaded might fall on it's face? Im thinking...
  3. 92exp4x4

first start

Earlier in this thread, you mentioned the modulator tube being disconnected. Does the trans still shift through all gears? Im wondering if something is messed up in the trans, bogging the engine down? Did you have any trans issues prior to replacing the engine?
  4. 92exp4x4

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

That's definitely no good. I guess the alternator failed and overcharged? Batteries definitely dont like that..
  5. 92exp4x4

1994 Explorer Limited- yes I bought another one...

That's the advantage to living where you do. I bought a parts vehicle that lived in new Mexico its entire life. It made its way the KY and a year later puked that trans. I bought it and was super excited to see such a clean truck. It still had the factory exhaust and paint marks from the...
  6. 92exp4x4

Tim's '93 Sport

Yeah 90HP is all she has out of the box. But those engines are really durable. For it's size its got tons of torque. The timing belts are the Achilles heel. Keep them new and happy and you'll have few issues. They are most definitely interference engines. I've done many a head change on...
  7. 92exp4x4

I got so many projects just waiting for me to have my own shop. This is one of several that need cancer treatment. This photo is several years old. At the moment, the drivers side running board is ready to come off and ill probably be removing it. The rear bumper mounts are gone. The back...
  8. 92exp4x4

Tim's '93 Sport

I would love to see a TDI swap. My dad still has his 99 jetta he bought new. TDI, 5 speed, 300,000 miles and counting. I used to work on Linde forklifts with these engines in them. The 1.9L is the one to have. I read about a kit to put those engines in J**ps. An explorer with one would be...
  9. 92exp4x4

Did you get any further on your van?
  10. 92exp4x4

Good to see you still have it, and it has a good home. Mine hasn't changed much. More rust maybe!
  11. 92exp4x4

Try not to just replace parts on a whim. That can be frustrating and get expensive quickly. There is a lot of resources here to help troubleshoot your van. Is this your only means of transport? What engine does it have? Im assuming its a 3.0? Do you have tools to check fuel pressure? It is...
  12. 92exp4x4

Awesome. Nice find! There aren't many left with that low of mileage. I only see one Aerostar around here anymore. It sits in a driveway about 10 miles away and hasn't moved in at least 5 years. One day im sure it will have a for sale sign on it.
  13. 92exp4x4

Post yer 94 pictures

I like the white face gauges. I had those in my first 92 years ago. I found carbon fiber inserts to go around them and frame off the white in the circle of the gauge. I think you could choose between blue and green backlight only. This was about 2003 or so.
  14. 92exp4x4

transmission leak

Too bad im not about 1900 miles closer! Here in KY, our vehicles rust to nothing in short order.
  15. 92exp4x4

A unique first gen..

Yeah, i was blown away!
  16. 92exp4x4

A unique first gen..

I didn't get a pic, but im watching TV tonight and we're just sitting here B.S.ing. The TV is muted and there is a Linzess commercial that came on. I happened to look up and there is a euro spec first gen sitting front and center in the shot. I have a sales brochure for this vehicle in my...
  17. 92exp4x4

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Maybe it got confused and thought it was a Toyota for a sec... Definitely check your throttle linkage. The TPS would only hold the throttle open if its physically damaged, which could be the case. I kinda doubt that though. Is the throttle body coked up with deposits? I wonder if the...
  18. 92exp4x4

So....I bought a OBS Bronco. '92 Bronco XLT.

I just went through something similar in one of the explorers. I had a rumble in the front end and feedback in the steering wheel on hard turns. I was convinced it was u-joints locking up. Never would i have thought that only the inner front wheel bearings would have caused this. I replaced...
  19. 92exp4x4

Interchangeable Parts

With enough intuition and some tools, anything is possible I guess? I did know a guy who put a late 60s Charger on a 78 Wagoner chassis. He daily drove that monster.
  20. 92exp4x4

Cummins First Gen Build Thread (no really)

This is awesome, i kinda forgot about this swap. Ill be going to YouTube in a bit.
  21. 92exp4x4

Extremely Hard Clunking When turning on any surface in 4hi or 4lo

Even better! Im glad it fixed your problem. Mine weren't bad, but I suspected the u joints to be seizing up. I wanted the manuals so i could lock in the axle and let it rotate while driving around normal to loosen up the joints. I had a drive line noise issue and minor steering feedback...
  22. 92exp4x4

4 wheel drive isn't working in my 1994 Ford Explorer. Any ideas as to why?

Im not sure why, but ive been getting an error randomly lately. Im elite, but when i click on a link like the one you provided, it says I don't have permission to view.
  23. 92exp4x4

4 wheel drive isn't working in my 1994 Ford Explorer. Any ideas as to why?

In a pinch, you can remove the shift motor and engage the 4WD by twisting the input to the case. When you remove the motor you'll see how painfully obvious it is. Just based on history, your issue is 99% likely to be the shift motor. I'd do that first.
  24. 92exp4x4

Extremely Hard Clunking When turning on any surface in 4hi or 4lo

I recently bought a set of hubs off eBay for $90. They included the spindle nut conversion but i found the threads to be weird and i didn't want to damage the spindles. I ordered mile marker spindle nut kit as well as i wasn't sure if the hubs came with the nuts or not. Im glad i did, It fit...
  25. 92exp4x4

For all you M5OD swappers. . .

Looks good man, you're going through it right. Its too bad they don't make 2 dr doglegs.
Back