Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Cat-back vs muffler

You won't see any mpg gains from a Flowmaster. All my friends that ran them got worse mpg and when they switched to a Magnaflow (with the same pipe setup just changed the muffler) they gained 2-3 mpg. Flowmaster mufflers to my knowledge don't offer anything but noise. But like they said, the...
  2. S

1997 mounty question

If it's AWD, then does that mean that the axle ratio will always be 3.73 LS?
  3. S

1997 mounty question

So, if it doesn't have an egr at the headers, then it's pre-GT-40P heads?
  4. S

1997 mounty question

Happen to know what month it started?
  5. S

1997 mounty question

Do all mercury mountaineers have the GT-40P heads in the 5.0 v8? I know that in 1997 is when Ford made the change, but did it start when the Mountaineer become available?
  6. S

3rd gen sway bar quick disconnects

No. They do not rub at all. Btw, you can unhook one end link and leave the other attached and it works like you have it completely unhooked. I bought my end links from RockAuto. If I had to do it again, I would prolly buy the NAPA professional end links because they are about the same...
  7. S

Bleh. I used to have a 96 wrangler. Hated it.
  8. S

How common is it to have the timing chain rattle with an intact main tensioner?

It's the rear chain (that I'm told) that always is the first to go. My rear chain makes noise all the time now. My front chain doesn't make noise like the rear. So if I were you, I would do the rear chain and tensioners.
  9. S

I tried the longer hand made sway bar end links. They rubbed the spindle at full lock everytime, esp. off-road. I am using a stock type set from Raybestos and it is high quality stuff. There is no plastic parts like the stock ones, instead it's all steel. When you make your own, just don't make...
  10. S

Duner's 6" Lift Kit Group Buy Thread

Are you going to have a website up for us to purchase and to see all the details like what's included and how to write ups? I agree that you should put your name or an emblem signifying that it's yours on the product, kind of like how Rize does theirs.
  11. S

I was going to suggest patenting but looks like the man himself beat me to it. Smart move man. :thumbsup: Just don't get burt out on it like Roadbully did with his spacer builds. I think you are doing a great job and I hope to do business with you down the road.
  12. S

Engine not turning

Unfortunately, no, it wasn't solved by 2004. Hopefully it is something minor. :)
  13. S

Engine not turning

Hopefully they won't break your wallet. Just keep us informed.
  14. S

Engine not turning

Is it low on oil? And what kind of oil do you use. I know a lot of old school guys running 20w-50 in these things and it gave loads of problems and had lots of noise to go with it. You are only supposed to run 5w-30 (in the v6) and 5w-20 (in the v8) The chattering noise that you hear/heard...
  15. S

Engine not turning

Did it sound like something broke? On other cold starts, did the engine make a chattering noise when starting?
  16. S

BTF lifted? post your fenderwell measurements

35.5 rear prelift 34.5 front prelift 37.5 rear postlift 37.25 front postlift (2/1.5 BTF spacers) 265/75 r16
  17. S

Oh man. If he could get together with someone like BTF and make long travel upper and lower a-arms for all four corners along with the kit, then that would be badass. Our rigs would be perfect for Baja or at least Baja ready. But I know if that happened, then it would be a lot more than $3k...
  18. S

Re-gearing question

Ok sweet. That's all I wanted to know.
  19. S

Going to look at a double SAS'd 3rd gen

I think if you are serious about doing a SAS then you might want to look into doing this: It looks like (from the pics Nate gave us) the solid axle, when flexing, will rub or smack the rear crossmember.
  20. S

Re-gearing question

I'm sure it's been asked before but here goes. When you re-gear (let's say go from 3.55 to 4.11 gear ratio), how did y'all recalibrate the brain box? Do the speed sensors have to be changed?
  21. S

Spartan Locker

You had it easy.
  22. S

Alarm constantly going off, DOOR AJAR, ENGINE light on, etc.

I had the same problem. Just a simple fix. Spray the door hinges with some type of spray lube (I used PB blaster) and I have not had any problems since. About the check engine light. It is an O2 sensor. However, that doesn't mean that you have replace it. Sometimes in a rapid weather change...
  23. S

So would the kit include new springs, struts, upper control arms? Or do we have to buy those separate. I understand that you are trying to make this as bolt on as possible and that we would be able to put it back to stock at any time that we needed. Another reason I ask, I might be getting the...
  24. S

Going to look at a double SAS'd 3rd gen

Did you get anymore pics of the front. You said that you had some but they were disappointing. I'd still like to see them out of curiosity.
  25. S

Spartan Locker

That's good! Have any problems putting it in?
Back