Engine not turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine not turning

mikeinri

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer, 94 XLT (RIP)
Went to start the truck this morning, starter/engine started turning as usual, then everything stopped hard before it started running.

When I turn the key now, it sounds like the starter is engaging, but the engine isn't turning.

What happened?

2004 Explorer, 4.0 V6, around 140,000 miles.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did it sound like something broke?
On other cold starts, did the engine make a chattering noise when starting?

Hard to tell if anything broke, it was just a very sudden stoppage. I don't recall any odd noises other times when starting.

Mike

Whens the Last Time It Was Started and Drove , any Weird Or Unusual Noises From Motor ?

Runs every day. Used it all weekend. Nothing unusual.

Mike

As for the chattering during other startups, the more I think about it, there may have been times when it would make a chattering/rattling noise for a few seconds after starting. After the noise stopped, no other symptoms.

Mike

Update: Called AAA for a tow, when they showed up, the truck started! Ran really rough for a few minutes, then smoothed out.

Battery is about 5 years old, terminals are showing some corrosion.

The engine is running OK, but is making sort of a knocking/banging noise near the front of the engine. The belt tensioner is moving qiute a bit as well.

It's at the shop, I'll let you know what they come up with...

Mike

Is it low on oil?
And what kind of oil do you use. I know a lot of old school guys running 20w-50 in these things and it gave loads of problems and had lots of noise to go with it. You are only supposed to run 5w-30 (in the v6) and 5w-20 (in the v8)
The chattering noise that you hear/heard when start up was a timing chain. Mine does that all the time

Update: Called AAA for a tow, when they showed up, the truck started! Ran really rough for a few minutes, then smoothed out.

Battery is about 5 years old, terminals are showing some corrosion.

The engine is running OK, but is making sort of a knocking/banging noise near the front of the engine. The belt tensioner is moving qiute a bit as well.

It's at the shop, I'll let you know what they come up with...

Mike

Hopefully they won't break your wallet.
Just keep us informed.

Thanks guys.

I've seen all the coverage here about the timing chain tensioners, but wasn't that fixed for the 2004 engines?

I always use 5W-30 in this truck (actually, I am militant about following the mfr requirements for all my engines, from the weed whacker all the way up to the RV).

I'm sure it's overdue for an oil change, but it doesn't leak or burn any oil, and no lights have come on (oil or engine).

Anyway, I do trust these guys not to screw me. I don't trust them to be as good at diagnosing something really weird as well as the Ford dealer, but for 99% of things, they do a great job and have always treated us fairly (I do most work myself, but my wife's car has needed some diagnostics and repairs that I wasn't equipped for).

I'll keep you posted, hopefully it's something simple.

Mike

Unfortunately, no, it wasn't solved by 2004.
Hopefully it is something minor. :)

OK, here's the update...

Battery and alternator tested OK.

No starting issues while at shop.

Oil was like sludge (obviously my fault), and was changed.

Harmonic balancer looked bad and was replaced, along with a new belt tensioner.

No noises or starting issues after the repairs. I get to pick it up tonight.

I'll let you know what I find...

Mike

Today's Update:

OK, got the truck back last night. Here's the damage:

Harmonic balancer, belt tensioner, belt, oil change, diagnostics. Altogether, around $550 (parts and labor).

Also had lower front ball joints and state inspection done. Roughly another $450 (parts and labor).

Truck starts right up, no weird noises. Engine runs very smooth now, better than before I had this issue.

As a side note, a Ford dealer told me that I needed a harmonic balancer about 2 years ago (engine was vibrating, I changed plugs and wires, that didn't help). I brought it to this shop, and they told me they had never heard of that problem (engine vibration from harmonic balancer). Anyway, I've been running it that way ever since, never had a problem.

When I got it started the other night, I noticed the noise and saw the tensioner moving. I mentioned that to the shop, and they took a closer look, and said that the harmonic balancer looked like it was bad (wobbling or something like that while running).

I didn't offer up the harmonic balancer as the problem (forgot about it honestly), but now the engine seems to be running much more smoothly.

The real question is, could a bad harmonic balancer really cause the engine not to start???

Mike

Back