Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Overdrive Question?

krooozn - starting out from 0 mph in 3rd gear will give you very sluggish throttle response. I thinks this is intended since what you describe is exactly what I experience. It seems like the 3rd gear selection only selects the 3rd gear and nothing else so this seems normal. If you think about...
  2. T

Overdrive Question?

My OD button fell off a few times and I was lucky enough to find it and the spring each time. Then I also had to jiggle the gear shift to get it out of Park which quickly became a nuisance so I finally took it in to have it fixed under warranty. The Work Order stated: "Found TSB 07-12-9, Diag...
  3. T

Turn key nothing in the morning

I don't blame you. A loose battery connection would have been the first thing I'd have looked at. Your Ford dealership sounds incompetent. I would begin looking for a reliable substitute. This type of problem can happen to any vehicle so don't point the finger of blame at Ford in general but...
  4. T

Hello all!

Hi bjielsl - welcome. I hope you like your ST as much as I do although mine is the more mundane XLT 4X2 4.0L SOHC 2V V6 5-Speed Automatic. I too have learned a lot reading about the ST in this explorerforum but I didn't find out about it as quickly as you. There are a lot of knowledgeable...
  5. T

Interior Trim Flaking

I noticed the flaking after 3 years or about 40,000 miles. It slowly becomes more obvious with time. I decided to ignore it since it has no effect on safety or performance. Now, at 78,000 miles it bothers me less and less. In a way it's like our bodies changing as we mature. We can't look...
  6. T

stock wheel offset

Tire Rack should be able to provide an answer. They know just about anything having to do with both wheels and tires for just about every vehicle sold in America.
  7. T

Fix that reflective chrome dash trim!

Now that you have made me aware of the reflection problem I realize I've been ignoring it all along. Don't get me wrong, I think what you've accomplished is pretty amazing. I happen to have the cream colored dash. It is really easy to see the reflection of the whole dash in the windshield...
  8. T

Newbie Question On Tires

Did you notice any excess tire noise before you had the new tires installed? It might be hard to remember but if you can remember it could be a clue in case the noise isn't from the new tires. Sorry about the customer satisfaction being non-existent where you are. It appears you have no...
  9. T

Bulb out detector

Do the turn signals work even though the bulb out detector is lit? I would think that would be a good clue for the technician. A quick check of http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/tsb.php/m-FORD/y-2010/d-EXPLORER%20SPORT%20TRAC did not show any specific TSB's for this problem. Since more than one...
  10. T

Buyng advice

My advice is to drive it around for a while. Try accelerating with as light a throttle foot as possible and pay special attention to the shift action. The reason for my advice is that I just had my 07 ST V6 transmission rebuilt at 73,000 miles due to a well known flaw with "servo bore wear."...
  11. T

Keep Getting Worse and Worse MPG

Keep track of your gas mileage and expenses using a spreadsheet like Microsoft Excel. There are free equivalent spreadsheet applications like Google Docs or OpenOffice. You will be able to learn a lot about your costs using these tools. I know because I've been using Microsoft Excel since...
  12. T

Error Messages

I am not an electrical engineer and I do not fully understand electrical circuit concepts but I do have a very very rudimentary understanding of the concept of an electrical circuit. I agree that if you faithfully followed the instructions for adding to your rear light circuits then you should...
  13. T

OEM Tire Alternative

Whenever I read about someone complaining about worn out tires I post this YouTube link from Tire Rack showing the importance of tread depth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA6MUlVNkLM Like me, once you view the video (< 4 min) you will probably be more concerned about the safety issues rather...
  14. T

Gas mileage blows right now...help!

For what it's worth, I bought my ST new and have recorded every fill-up gallons, miles and cost. I actually have 264 data points. My all-time lowest reading was 16.5 mpg, my all-time high was 23.6 mpg and my all-time average is currently 19.6 mpg with a slight .4 mpg drop since September 2009...
  15. T

Time to replace my tires

I maintain the door jam recommended pressure on my tires of 35 psi by checking them cold every month and rotating them front to back every 7,500 miles. My original 245/65R17 Goodyear Forteras lasted 3 years and 56,500 miles which was pretty close to the warranted 6 years 60,000 miles. I...
  16. T

Beeping/whistle Sound When Driving over 50

You might want to check out this other explorerforum thread if you haven't already. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285160
  17. T

5R55W Fluid Fill

For what it's worth, I had my transmission rebuilt at a Ford dealership and was charged for 14 quarts of transmission fluid p/n XT5BM. Among the repair notes was mentioned "flushed lines and cooler"
  18. T

2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0 5 Speed Transmission Rebuild

I just thought I would share my experiences. I have 72,000 miles on my 2007 Explorer Sport Trac. I bought it new. I drive with light and easy throttle inputs. I noticed a consistent drop-off in my gas mileage about two years ago. About 6 months ago ~68,000 miles I began to notice an occasional...
  19. T

2007 w/4.0 time for tranny servicing..need insight

I wouldn't wait to the 100,000 mile service to change the transmission fluid after my recent experience. In hindsight, I would drain and refill the transmission fluid every 20,000 miles. I don't think it's necessary to drop the pan, flush the lines and replace the filter if you follow my...
  20. T

Transmission Issues

Transmission Shudder A few times, thankfully just a few, I experienced a similar problem at 40-60 mph. The vehicle could barely maintain its speed and would hardly accelerate all the while shuddering. It felt like the transmission was trying to use two gears at the same time. I know that's...
  21. T

Ford 5r55s transmission problems, possible solenoid block?

Rebuilt Transmission I just thought I would share my experiences. I have 72,000 miles on my 2007 Explorer Sport Trac. I bought it new. I drive with light and easy throttle inputs. I noticed a consistent drop-off in my gas mileage about two years ago. About 6 months ago ~68,000 miles I...
Back