• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive Question?

krooozn

Reaction score
City, State
Suffok, Va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac
I have searched the forum for an answer to my question on the overdrive button...but didn't find anything really relating to my specific question....so decided to hang it out here in hopes that some of you may be able to enlighten me. I have a 2007 Sport Trac with the V6 engine with an auotomatic transmission and I noticed on my shifter handle, down towards the bottom of the plastic handle, there appears to be a place for this overdrive button, but there is no button there, just the hole for it....so my question is this, how can I tell if my truck is equiped with the overdrive option and the button just came off or this is not an option on my particular truck? If I do indeed have overdrive, then I would like to get this button repaired....

Thanx for any help with this.....Anita :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All Sport Tracs have OD. It sounds like the button was broken off. The OD is always "On" unless you turn it off with the button. It won't hurt anything the way it is, just that you can't turn the OD off.

My OD button fell off a few times and I was lucky enough to find it and the spring each time. Then I also had to jiggle the gear shift to get it out of Park which quickly became a nuisance so I finally took it in to have it fixed under warranty. The Work Order stated: "Found TSB 07-12-9, Diag and Replace Trans Selector Lever, Retest, All, OK"

Anyway, the cost of the FMC 7L2Z 7210 B Lever - Gear Shift was $112.00

The total cost of the Warranty Repair looked like this:
Parts 156.94
Lab-Mechanical 79.92
Total 236.86

It appears the replacement procedure allowed the tech 1.0 hours to perform the service so you would also need to add a labor charge to this $236.86.

I am not sure if the two problems were related but this service procedure has worked perfectly ever since. Based on visual inspection I do not think the OD button can be repaired any other way but to replace the gear shift.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

I called my local Ford dealer to find out if this part was even available and they do indeed sell just the button assembly. He gave me a part number and quoted me a price of $22.00 for it. He didn't say anything about the shifter having to be replaced, so I am in hopes that all I need is the button assembly. I'll have to wait a little bit before I can order it, but once I get it in hand, maybe I'll be able to figure out how the thing goes into the shifter. My truck is out of factory warranty, I did purchase a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty when I bought the truck, but not sure if it will cover this or not. I'll check into it, and see what the dealership says about cost of repair. My warranty is $50.00 deductible, but if the warranty will cover this, it might be the cheapest way out for me. I'm sure the truck would be okay to drive as it is, but I don't like having anything on my vehicles that is broken or non-functioning....and as I stated earlier...I do a lot of stop and go driving. On another note...with the stop and go driving, I decided to drop the tranny into 3rd gear thinking it would put a little less strain on the tranny, and when I do this, the throttle response is very sluggish....sounds and feels like the tranny may be slipping a little when in 3rd. Is this a normal response for this gear? Or should it be quicker on the throttle response than it is when in Drive? Not real sure....I wanted to check the fluid, but since it is a sealed system I'll have to take it somewhere to have this done.....

Would a PCS (?) or whatever that flashing/update thing that I have read about help this issue? If so....how expensive is this to have done?

Thanx....Anita :D

The overdrive button is available from Ford separately. I have bought a couple of them over the last year or so. It is part# 6L2Z-7G550-A, I think I paid about $16 a piece for them. You may also want to consider the Flex shift handle replacement. It will cost the same or less and it is much improved over the stock handle. You will have to use the lower plug and wires from your stock switch with it though. Also, the reason things seem sluggish when starting is because if you having it in 3rd gear. it will stay locked there. If you want to start out in a lower gear leav it in drive or pull the shifter down in 1st gear when stopped and shift manually. It will not go into 4th gear unless in drive, along with the overdrive locked out. Then the trans will start and shift from 1st through 4th and not go into overdrive.

Calahan....with these button assemblies that you purchased, did you install them yourself or did you have to have someone do it? If you did the installation yourself, could you please share with me what it intails? I might would attempt this myself if it isn't too complicated.....money is kind of tight right now, so anything that I can do on my own is always a good thing. I would like to replace the shifter, but again with the money issue....not feasible forme right now....so if you could shed some light on this for me I would really appreciate it....I have no idea how to even attempt to get this button in place....

Thanx..Anita :eek:

If you can get that switch, is it possible to get a new actuator for the lockout for the shifter too? Mine got a good blast of contact cleaner, but I don't know how long that will last for.

Something like this? 6L2Z7E096A

must be a common issue with this style of OD button, I had a rental ford focus, with the same button on the shifter and it was broken..

The Flex shift handle won't really cost anymore than the stock replacement button. It is one of the true bargains of the century for sure. The chrome bezel at the bottom of the handle has to be pryed down. Do not twist it, there are alignment pieces than can be broken. Take the chrome bezel around the gear indicator window base. Again pry up gently until it releases. Go around it a little at a time. Remove the large upper console piece. Screws are under Console encloser lid. You can at that point get to the OD button plug down low on the passenger side. I removed the whole console base. It makes it a whole easier to get to. You should use a couple of picks to release the plug and slide out of socket. Then loosen the set screw holding the handle onto the column. You will have to fish out the wire and plug as you slowly pull the handle up and off of the column. Make sure to watch how and where the wire harness is ran. Pry button out of side of handle and press the replacement in. The reverse procedure to install. The flex handle will require cutting and resoldering ( don't forget shrink tube ) of the Sport Trac plug and some wire to the Flex wires. Don't cut inline directly accross. Stagger your cuts. Less chance of them shorting acrossed each other by accident, plus the solder joint will br smaller and alow to feed back into position. There is a write up in this forum about the handle swap. It is far nicer and lower than the stock one. Makes getting to the controls and buttons easier... The procedure is not hard per say, but a real pain in the ass for sure. Be sure to take your time and it will be just fine. Oh, by the way to pry on the bezels use an interior pry bar set. You can get these at places like Harbor Freight. Softer plastic and less damage to your interior pieces.

krooozn - starting out from 0 mph in 3rd gear will give you very sluggish throttle response. I thinks this is intended since what you describe is exactly what I experience. It seems like the 3rd gear selection only selects the 3rd gear and nothing else so this seems normal. If you think about it, this could come in handy when starting out on ice.

old thread, but I figured it's best to post here...

so obvioulsy OD should be used while towing, but what about regular around town driving?

it doesn't seem like OD would be necessary in that driving scenario...but if it doesn't hurt the trans, driving in OD seems like the engine runs better...but if running in OD can wear something out, I wouldn't want to drive it in OD all the time.

the reason I ask is because when you click out of OD, it lights up on the dash...almost as if you're doing something you shouldn't be, like a warning or check engine light haha

First off the overdrive light on the dash is a reminder for the driver, not an alert. You generally want to leave it in overdrive mode unless the transmission is hunting in and out of gear. Towing is fine if on say a fairly flat surface and transmission stays in 5th gear ( v8 trucks 6th gear ) and not locking or unlocking converter. Damage usually comes from constant shifting in and out of fifth/sixth when loaded or towing. Best to not use cruise control when towing or heavily loaded. It causes more hunting and constant shifting compared to foot controlled throttle. :usa:

First off the overdrive light on the dash is a reminder for the driver, not an alert. You generally want to leave it in overdrive mode unless the transmission is hunting in and out of gear. Towing is fine if on say a fairly flat surface and transmission stays in 5th gear ( v8 trucks 6th gear ) and not locking or unlocking converter. Damage usually comes from constant shifting in and out of fifth/sixth when loaded or towing. Best to not use cruise control when towing or heavily loaded. It causes more hunting and constant shifting compared to foot controlled throttle. :usa:

yeah, I wasn't saying it was an alert, just that I don't like anything lit up on my dash haha

thanks for the clarification though. I looked at the goodies in your signature, seems like you got a cool rig there!

Thanks, I have a tendency to not leave anything alone... I believe there is always room for improvement. A little personalization also shows one cares for an item and that they aren't just appliances to use. :usa:

I might just take an idea or two from you...especially the exhaust. sounds interesting!

Back