Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Front wheel studs broken off!

You can do all of the work without removing the hub. You have to rotate the hub to "knock out" the broken studs. There is an indentation (basically a keyed area) on the back side of the hub that allows for stud removal insertion. If I remember correctly it is when the stud is at 2:00 position...
  2. G

Need help identifying problem and part pic inside

Du ranged is right on. What you have circled is the throttle body. Your Explorer is a DBW (drive by wire) system. The PCM sends electrical information to the solenoid (which is on the front of the throttle body in your picture) to open up the throttle plate. If it gets dirty or the throttle...
  3. G

new to me - few issues

Just a thought on your rear doors and chimes not working correctly. Since it is new to you and you don't have prior history on the vehicle. You might try the ignition lock cylinder. I don't know if others on the post can comment. But there are a bunch of different contact points on an...
  4. G

Automatic door unlocking

Try working your way through the Message Center. If I recall that is where I saw the auto-lock. There may be a setting for auto unlock there. Not sure if one of the settings would be for Drivers door or All doors. Just a thought.
  5. G

new to me - few issues

When you go to do your rear brakes, the rotors will be more expensive that you are used to. If I'm not mistaken, the parking brakes are brake shoes that run on the inside of the rear disk brake rotors. You'll want to replace the parking brake shoes while you are doing a rear brake job. I...
  6. G

Tranny Warnings and Price Question

Ok, I'll go ahead and say it. I'm really not sure why there are so many "haters" of the existing 5r55 tranny setup, and why people want to add a dipstick? I think the design is actually kind of ingenious. Overfilling fluid levels is as dangerous (sometimes more dangerous) as under filling...
  7. G

2002 Explorer with a 5R55S

BrooklynBridge is right on target in his earlier post. Soleniod and servo bore are the most common issues with this tranny. Ford used the 5r55s on a bunch of vehicles (all the way up to and including Jaguar, yes Ford owned Jag during the early 2000's). I'm betting that in the end, it is the...
  8. G

HELP!!! SES light P0305 liquid in Spark Plug well

I really believe it is coolant too. It has that ethylene glycol smell. Since I've never done any cooling system work (since there were no symptoms that work needs to be done) I may just have the original coolant in it. If I'm not mistaken it would have the Ford Extended life which was yellow...
  9. G

I've not done any coolant system work on the vehicle. The coolant looked good and cooling system values were well within specs from diagnostic sensors (I use AutoEnginuity). I'm going to watch the coolant/intake a little closer over the next few weeks though. Thanks for the input.
  10. G

Update. I went ahead and cleaned the #5 Spark Plug well out. Then changed the plug. Spark Plug looked good. #6 Cylinder was dry. #7 had a half inch of fluid in it. Cleaned and replaced the plug (which looked good). #8 Cylinder had two inches of fluid in it and was surprised that it...
  11. G

HELP!!!! I have a 2005 Explorer Limited with a V8. 125,000 miles, and I have owned it since it had 69,900 miles on her. Everything was running fine. Just took a 8hr trip each way to the mountains and ran into some really cold weather (double digits below zero) this past weekend and this...
  12. G

Parking Brake Shoe Springs - Cant get them re-attached

Advance auto has a brake spring tool that uses the same principles as the awl. T handle with a hook at the other end. A little cussing. Some skinned knuckles (because that damned spring lets loose a micrometer short of being in, only nice thing is since the spring is somewhat covered when it...
  13. G

Hear a clicking sound? Read this.

Had the same thing on mine. The rear disk brakes contain the emergency brake (brake shoes/drum combination) running on the back side of the disk brake rotor. On the drivers side the the emergency disk brake surface had completely separated from the emergency brake shoe bracket and on the...
  14. G

Transmission Fluid Temperature Issue

I've changed the fluid in my 2005 Explorer Limited 4.6l 4x4. I dropped the pan and changed the filter so I could also analyze the inside of the pan for contaminants, since I bought the vehicle with 69k on her. Everything looked good. Buttoned everything up, pumped fluid in, warmed up the...
  15. G

4wd hi - front end clunk/pop

Update: The front end clunks in both 4WD High and 4WD low. And it is a clunk, only at low speeds (at or below 10MPH) and at when turning (either direction). It is a thunk, thunk, matching the speed of the vehicle. My thoughts were that the half shafts were bad, and the noise was the...
  16. G

4wd hi - front end clunk/pop

I've searched high and low on the forum and can't find anything (probably an error on my part, can't believe I'm the only one with this problem). I have a 2005 Explorer Limited 4x4 (axle code indicates an open rear end). Vehicle drives fine in 4x4 Auto. When I put the vehicle in 4x4 Hi...
  17. G

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

Type of floor jack can help too! The type of floor jack you have can also be used to your advantage. I actually remove the "jack pan" from my floor jack. My jack pan lifts from my jack. The jack pan is concave and can create issues trying to get the lower ball joint started straight...
  18. G

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

Just about done Thanks for all of the great information in this post. While I was in there I did upper and lower ball joints. The uppers were a bear on my 05 Explorer FWD. The bolts were rusty and i had to do the loosen a half turn, hit it with PBlaster, tighten a quarter turn, PB...
  19. G

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

Thanks for all of the great information in this post. Just wanted to add that an old mechanic friend would always place anything he was going to "press in" in the feezer the night before he would do his work. Yes, it might only be a thousandth of an inch, but it sure makes the pressing a i...
  20. G

2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer

The cracks in the lift gate are probably in the plastic piece that is under the window glass portion of the door. This piece also holds the Ford Emblem and is pretty well documented on this forum (use the Search Forum button and search for "liftgate crack" or "rear door crack"). Here's a...
  21. G

2005 V8 Throttle Body Cleaning?

I have a 2005 Explorer with th 4.6L V8 in it. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you don't clean the throttle body on the drive by wire units using throttle/carb cleaner (not sure if it has to do with some "special coating/finish" on the inside of the throttle body). Myth or fact...
  22. G

Rear End Fluid.

ICU, You can use full synthetics in both differentials. In fact, pretty much everyone in the forum would probably agree that the only thing they would put back in (when doing a gear lube change) would be a synthetic. As for brand, Mobile1, Amsoil, RoyalPurple are all great brands. As for the...
  23. G

04 NBX v8 w/Transmission problems newbe needs help

Couple additional sources I've been doing some research about my new 05 Explorer w/ 5R55S and ~ 70K miles on it. One of the things I'm planning is a tranny fluid change (NOT a flush), with a pan removal so I can do some minor inspection at the same time. This forum has a TON of great advise...
  24. G

Extremely dangerous problem! 04

First of all, I'm making the assumption that somewhere in the not to recent past you used RainX on the windshield or as an additive to the washer fluid resovoir. And since you weren't getting the results you wanted, you placed more RainX on the windshield. It is a problem that many have...
Back