Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Tie Rod Ends--Too Tight??

The alignment shop told me the tie rods ends are too tight (plus one has a torn boot), and they need replaced before they can align. He said they lack the normal movement they are suppose to have and if they get them loose for adjustment, I could/would have issues with them being too loose down...
  2. D

Opinions on alignment specs:

Is there an “average” ball joint/UCA life span? This is my fourth Explorer and never had to mess with them in the past. Jon…you are right is probably is not as stable as it could be…wind tends to make it wonder a bit, the steering wheel is of a little of center, but depends on the “road crown”...
  3. D

Ooops .6.....thanks. Why do I ask? Had a free check with new tires, did not have them do anything because they could not adjust camber because of no shim kit, so I did not want to have to pay for two. I got 62k (not on wear bars) on the original Goodyear RT/S's...with little rotations. So I'm...
  4. D

Alignment specs..good, ok, or bad? 2001 P255/70/16 4x4 62K Front..left -1.0 (-1.0-0 range) Camber 3.6 (3.2- 5.2 range) Caster .05 (-.03-.09 range Toe Front…right -.4 Camber 4.2 Caster -.04 Toe Cross camber -.06 Cross caster -.06 Total toe .01 Thanks....Drake
  5. D

Warped rotors==noise?

Can warped rotors cause noise? I get a annoying "winding up" and "winding down" frontend noise between 20-50 mph the truck only has 60k on it. Just put brand new tires on, this really reduced the tire thumping sound that the RT/S's where making. I know the rotors are out because I get a...
  6. D

Alignment specs..good, bad, or ugly?

Alignment specs..good, bad, or ugly? Had the 2001 Ex in for tires today and had them do a alignment check. Curious on everyone’s opinions on the specs, I ended up not having it done because they could not adjust the Camber. The truck does like to wonder a bit, no lift, stock 255/70/16...
  7. D

Who makes Republic Trail Mark Tires?

Thanks Donner, I searched and could not find that.......nice job. What tires are you running? I've had great luck with Goodyear's :us:through the years so I'd like to stay within the brand....plus I graduated from the University of Akron…Go Zips!!!! Have a great weekend. Drake
  8. D

Who makes Republic Trail Mark Tires?

Is it GoodYear? Thanks. Drake
  9. D

The infamous OHV 4.0 rattle, tap, tap, is indeed the lifters!

Yes, but actually a day worth of idling will burn about a ¼+- tank of gas. Plus I’m not paying for it.:D
  10. D

Agreed lifter noise is normal. Geologist…when out on the drilling rig, my truck is my home (I sleep in it) and it NEVER shuts off, winter, summer it does not matter. It is common practice and FORDS rule the American oil field…..period:us:
  11. D

Kyle, First of all, upper valve train noise does not necessarily mean a problem exists. My 1992 ohv (in the 10 years I owned it) had EXTREME use…. Because of work it would idle 2-3 days at a time, averaging this type of service every two weeks. I can guarantee the amount of engine hours...
  12. D

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Al, I remember a while back you where researching new tires and the effect of rolling resistance on mileage. Have you made a decision on new tires? I imagine you are looking at more of a “highway/street” tread as compared to the RT/S? Have you thought about moving down a size to a 225? Just...
  13. D

Fender Dent!

get sledgehammer.....destroy CABINET...at least that would make me feel better:thumbsup: PDR, but it looks creased?
  14. D

Pathfinder All Terrain

Any opinions or experience with these? Price is nice with $100 off. TIA Drake http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rc=OHCINT&cf=false&c=1&sw=false&cs=255&pc=15749&rcc=&rd=16&ar=70&tc=KAZRL1&rf=true
  15. D

Whats your Opinion on Kumho Tires

They have three plants in China as well as South Korea. Its all cheap crap!! Why anyone would want to "cheap out" on the most important safety feature of their vehicle is beyond me. Nothing beats AMERICAN MADE......Period.:thumbsup: Drake
  16. D

DITTO 100% Buy American....you get what you pay for with higher standards!!:us::thumbsup:
  17. D

What explorer looks best?

I have always liked light Wedgewood blue (don't see many) and the Eddie Bauer or Limited Green/tan combo.
  18. D

New Tire Opinions Needed...

I think tbars is referring to the Dunlop Rover A/T.... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Radial+Rover+A%2FT Am I right? The Dunlop Rover RV has been replaced by the Rover RVXT...
  19. D

Should I replace?

Thanks for the quick replies. Ford recently came out with a statement that said you should replace your tires at six years regardless of tread depth. http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0505/20/A01-188098.htm This is is a hard question....the tires have safe tread...but show cracks...
  20. D

Should I replace?

Should I replace now? I can’t get a reliable answer from the tire stores (obviously), but my tires are 6 years old (according to the DOT) number, tread depth is around 5-6/32 (2/32 being the wear bars). I have cracks developed at the base of all the tread blocks on all tires. Is this normal...
  21. D

Cheap Junk http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallresults.cfm?start=1&SearchType=QuickSearch&rcl_ID=06T013000&summary=true&PrintVersion=NO Buy American..like your truck. Better workers, safety standards, laws, and quality.:us::thumbsup: Drake
  22. D

Typical cheap Korean/China crap. :thumbdwn:
  23. D

Brake Rotor/Pads Question

I replaced the stock brake pads with Napa ceramic pads all the way around...they are great (no brake dust). At that time I had the typical "pulse-in-the-pedal” during higher speed braking, the mechanic said the pads would help plus the rotors looked good, so I didn’t replace/turn. I have gone...
  24. D

Wrangler Silent Armours

Tekman, What do you mean by "YUou'll notice a difference in the RPM acceleration at first."? I down to either the RT/S (I like them) and SA. Any imput would help...you have the same truck as mine....thanks.
  25. D

Wrangler Silent Armours

Well I may have to try these Silent Armor’s…. tire store a couple of hours away has a “buy three get one free” promotion plus Goodyear has a $40 rebate. (4) 255/70/16 mounted/balanced/tax $530:eek: out-the-door. I might make the drive for this price. Anyone else see a mileage drop as reported...
Back