Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Update: Explorer -> F-350

Putting the Explorer on the truck frame will still set you higher, me thinks. Even though there is only a slight difference in how tall the frames are as compared to each other, I bet the 350 rides a couple inches taller than the Explorer. Heck man, that's FREE LIFT!!! By the way, is your...
  2. A

Explorer body on F-350 frame = Legal?

I don't think it would be particularly hard, especially if you and/or a buddy have good welding skills. It will be expensive and time consuming though. The first thing you will want to do is get the frame to the proper wheelbase, then getting the body mount positions right. I don't think...
  3. A

Recall on ALLL firestone tires?!

What about me? I still have the Firestones on my truck, but they are now on chrome aftermarket rims. Will Ford try to screw me since the tires were put on aftermarket rims? Or is 91 out of the picture anyway?
  4. A

Liftgate swap

Any idea how to find the thread, pictures, or whatever pertaining to that swap? I tried entering some search terms and came up empty. I'm willing to consider some modifications just to see if I can do it. Heck, I gotta practice up, I've already got "project topless" on the drawing board-...
  5. A

So long, Voyager

Just watched the last Star Trek Voyager episode. During the commercials, I saw the previews for the "next" Star Trek and it is going to be called Enterprise. See, we've already had a series with a ship called Enterprise, so I think they should have a ship called Explorer. Right?!? Oh...
  6. A

Liftgate swap

I noticed the newer style liftgate in a parking lot today- it had the license plate area on the gate itself (in the center) instead of the bumper like on my 91. So... Can the newer style be installed on the earlier body without too much work? In other words, is it a bolt on? I expect...
  7. A

how to take off the overhead console?

The overhead console (with the temperature and compass) is held to the ceiling with two screws and two expanding clips with teeth. To remove the console, first remove the two screws located in the compartment that holds a garage door opener. Once those are removed, the rear of the unit is...
  8. A

Topless Explorer

Aw, heck... If Ford isn't willing to build one, then I think I will. My dad has an old CJ he uses for off-roading. You know the type- just sits outside behind the garage with no top when not in use. It's strictly business. My uncle has been into 70's Bronco's and his latest doesn't even...
  9. A

OPINIONS-buying a higer mileage X

Don't let a salvage title scare you- if the person who put it back together is good at what he/she does, it won't perform any different. My 91 has a salvage title. It was a theft recovery. My friend bought it for $2200 with no wheels or tires. The radio was also missing. It needed alot of...
  10. A

A few silly questions

That's funny, my step mother was hit by a deer once. It was when the Dodge Caravan first came out- she only had it for about 3 weeks. She was taking me to work one day (I drove a Chevy then, it was broken) when a deer came out of nowhere- in a residential area! The deer almost missed us- it...
  11. A

A few silly questions

The speedometer problem is fixed. Guess what it was- it was the vehicle speed sensor! The thing literally broke in half. When I undid the mounting bolt, part of it remained inside the case (in one piece though. Less than 20 bucks at AutoZone cured the problem. As far as the brakes- a...
  12. A

Dang it, I should've.......

I should have never told my buddies with Rangers that those overhead consoles fit in their trucks too (of course none of them are willing to cut into the headliner themselves). I've done 3 of these, not counting my X- and it wasn't all that long ago I came on this board asking how to wire it.
  13. A

Pin Stripes

I agree, I think my pinstripes need to go to. Unfortunately, I'd never be able to buff mine out since my 91 is in dire need of paint. Plus, mine's a 'Bauer so I have additional pinstriping around the two-tone paint. Others might not agree, but I don't care for two-tone paint either, so...
  14. A

One of the before shots

Here is a small pic of what the 91 EB looked like before we started working on it.... When Wildside had it, he put new rims and tires on it (a little smallish for my tastes). He also put a used liftgate on, but never got it adjusted right. Then he replaced the ignition keyset and all the...
  15. A

Overhead Console Help

The wiring was pretty smooth, just use that link- if the console you get has different color wires, let me know and I'll post mine (I had some different colors, but got it figured out). Everything works great. I had some trouble calibrating the compass, but then again I couldn't find...
  16. A

A few silly questions

I have a few silly questions for ya... 1. This morning the speedometer worked, now it doesn't. Everything else works fine (except the odometer). Being that this was a theft recovery, it sat around for a good long while. I got it from Wildside (who never got it together enough to drive)...
  17. A

Overhead Console Help

Nope, there wasn't any holes there for mine- maybe Ford didn't think that far ahead in 91...
  18. A

Overhead Console Help

I might want to add that if you are really good at cutting small rectangular holes, you can get the overhead console in without needing the metal bracket. I actually drilled a series of holes into the roof support, then used a flat file to "rectangularize" them. The rectangles need to be...
  19. A

Overhead Console Help

Thanks for the help. The link really helped out a bunch. The only complaint I have with the linked story is that they didn't take into account that Ford sometimes switches wire colors whenever they feel the urge- the main power feed on my console was different, as was the thermometer wires...
  20. A

Overhead Console Help

While I was in the junk yard this weekend, I managed to grab a bunch of goodies for my 91. One was an overhead console that goes between the sunvisors. It has a lamp with separate buttons for left and right, a compartment for a garage door opener, and an electronic thermometer (I determined...
  21. A

Warn hubs, cheaper price

I went to Auto Zone's website the other day to look up the hubs and the conversion kit (Mile Marker). I printed it out to take to the local store- you have to, the people there aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree. When I got there, they said they could have the hubs the next day but they...
  22. A

I'm new here (but my Explorer isn't)

I just bought a 91 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition a couple weeks ago from my landlord and close friend- Wildside. He told me that if I was serious about the truck, then this is the place to go. Man was he right!!! This site is awesome!!! So, here I am, a newby but I see that the truck has...
Back