Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Road noise 2nd gen. worse than 1rst?

The tires are BF Goodrich Long Trails that are less than 5k and fairly even wear. I rotated them when I did the ball joints. I replaceed the left lower ball joint and upper control arm. Right side ball joints are ok. Camber is right in spec (-.5 degrees left side and -.75 on the right).
  2. K

00 Explorer Mach system rear door speakers?

My rear door speakers don't have the nice crisp highend response that the front door speakers have. Does anyone know offhand what the differences in speakers are? Can one put good front speakers in the rear doors?
  3. K

Road noise 2nd gen. worse than 1rst?

After purchasing my 2000 5.0 AWD Explorer I have been dissappointed with the amount of road noise. I used to work at a dealer and noticed this phenomenon when they were new. I don't get a chance to drive too many 5.0's lately but did drive a 99 Ranger 2wd and it didn't exhibit any road noise. If...
  4. K

96 XLT AWD 5.0 - Binding in reverse

I'm not sure the red stuff they put on from the factory is the same as the locktite red. With the locktite red one sometimes would have to use some heat to break it down in order to unscrew the bolt. Like I said, I haven't used anything for 20 yrs and haven't had any problem. There may be enough...
  5. K

96 XLT AWD 5.0 - Binding in reverse

Some locktite may be used at the factory but I never put any on my own calipers or customers calipers and haven't had a problem. Just make sure you use some "blue" locktite and not the "red" stuff. If you use red you may never get it back out again.
  6. K

Tire pressure

Aldvie, 40psi? You've got to be kidding? What does your door sticker say?
  7. K

Tire pressure

Ford recommended 26 psi for a softer ride. On the first generation the tire was oversized for the weight. My 2000 certainly does ride "rough" compared to my Crown Vics and the early generation Explorers. I'm running between 30-32 and may back them down to 26 to get a better ride. Remember, I...
  8. K

Interchangeable hitch ball-Good or Bad?

Got a 1 7/8 and 2inch MasterLock combo. Looks good so far. Real easy to change balls. Just flip a lever on top and turn 90degrees and lift ball off. $21.50 at a local parts house we use at work.
  9. K

Good replacement Subwoofer

I wanted $35 for a factory 8inch sub shipped to your door. Let me know if you're interested.
  10. K

Interchangeable hitch ball-Good or Bad?

Reese, Master Lock, and Convert A Ball make interchangeable hitch balls. Anyone used one of these? Any problems? My 5x10 trailer is 1 7/8th inch and my camper is a 2 inch ball. Cheaper than buying a separate reciever style hitch with separate tongues.
  11. K

Good replacement Subwoofer

Private PM message sent to jacek82.
  12. K

radio removal?

Somebody may have used a tool that messed up the clips. If you can't feel the "snap" when pushing the tool in it may be too late. You may have to go the route of removing the 2 small screws to get the faceplate off to gain more access to the clips.
  13. K

Oil Filter removal on V8?

Did they use the wrong filter? It's suppose to be a Motorcraft FL820S equiv. and not the FL1A longer filter. I haven't changed oil yet on my Explorer but am sure there is plenty of clearance.
  14. K

NO START or STARTS AND DIES - CEL Flashes Same As Fuel Pump Relay Clicks???

I'd suggest checking the grounds to the ecm. On some models the ecm grounds come right off the battery terminal. Not sure on this one. Have also seen shorted sensors play havoc with the ecm. You could try disconnecting one sensor at a time.
  15. K

Awd

I read somewhere it said that if you do that you shouldn't go more than 10 miles max. I suppose it could be hard on the vicious coupling in the transfer case.
  16. K

1998 mountaineer leak

Older 5.0's were notorious for oil pan gaskets leaking onto the exhausts. They used a rubber gasket that would split and all of a sudden dump lots of oil. I have replaced dozens of these gaskets on pickups without removing the pan. I would think that the later 5.0's would use a steel lines...
  17. K

Heater Core Question

I've done a few heater boxes in the past and I was able to replace the box without removing the evaporator. There are some nuts behind the evaporator case so the case needs to be moved away from the firewall perhaps an inch and crawl underneath to get at the nuts. There is an updated case that...
  18. K

Slight lope at idel in neutral normal for 5.0?

Engine runs smooth when put in gear but has a slight lope when in park or neutral. I wonder if the cam is causing this? I know the early 5.0 H/0 had a cam (I'm thinking 82-85 models) that would only allow 13-14 inches of vacuum at idle compared to 17-18 for stock non H/0 and would have a slight...
  19. K

OEM fog light/fog lamp removal 1999

I just replaced my fogs on a 2000 Explorer. Yes, the 3rd bolt was hard to get at but with a 1/4inch ratchet and deepwell 8mm socket they came out just fine. I wish someone offered just the glass lens for the lamps instead of having to buy the whole thing. I ended up getting some off of ebay for...
  20. K

A plume of something came out of my '98

I wonder if your trans was overfull when it was serviced and it was running fairly warm and when you pushed the rpm's up it some fluid came out of vent hole?
  21. K

Shudder around 40mph

The oil pan on the trans should have a reuseable gasket if nobody has changed it so theoretically you could just drop the pan, clean the pan and put back together. Take the rubber plug out of the bottom of the bellhousing, rotate engine (probably a 15/16th socket to turn front pulley) and turn...
  22. K

Inside lights won't go off. 97 EXP XLT

I'll have to experiment with my Explorer in that respect. Wouldn't you have to wait until the audible times out? That may take a few minutes per door. Like I said, at work I just hook up a scanner but if this works-great. Thanks for the info.
  23. K

5.0 AWD capable on Colorado Alpine Loop?

Just wondering if anyone has taken a 5.0 AWD on some trails in Colorado? I've rented a Jeep on the Alpine Loop about 3 yrs ago but just recently purchased this Explorer. Can one "feather" the throttle in low to compensate for no low range? How capable are they? I purchased the 5.0 as I'm...
  24. K

Shudder around 40mph

It sounds like torque converter shudder. Replacing the fluid will usually take care of the problem. When experiencing the shudder, just lightly tap on the brake pedal momentarily and see if it goes away. By pressing on the brake it disengages the lock up converter for a few seconds. Very common...
  25. K

Inside lights won't go off. 97 EXP XLT

Budwich, I don't know what you're saying about the audible indication. There is only one door ajar switch on the latches and when they stick it doesn't matter if the door is opened or not-same results. JJ, did you also check the switch on the rear hatch window? Probably not the problem but...
Back