Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

And the time has come...

The old man I have no idea about; sadly he went into shock at the time of the collision. I hope he makes it. I am off work for a min of 1 week and physical therapy for an hour everyday. My spine has become severely compressed and I'm bruised all over from being thrown around inside the vehicle...
  2. M

And the time has come...

So, I have not been an active member of this forum in some time...however there was a time when I was on here frequently, helping, learning, and coming up with new and crazy ideas for my 98 xlt....However Saturday it met it's maker. I was rear-ended while stopped at a stoplight by a Lexus...
  3. M

What plugs and wires to use

do you have codes for cyl. 5 and 8 or did you come to that diagnosis another way? Sorry to be nosey
  4. M

Actually they all conduct electricity the same; inside every plug is a resistor. The resistors vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but they are there to equalize the resistance of the plug itself....that's why ignition oscilloscopes are so reliable; they count on the varying resistance in the...
  5. M

Copper Plugs are 30k; Anything else is 100k Just curious but why are you changing your coils? That's an expensive route to take right off the bat.....
  6. M

Ignition Systems: COP vs. Wastespark vs. DIS

lol...no big deal; I did just kinda skim over DIS simply because it's not used anymore
  7. M

Ignition Systems: COP vs. Wastespark vs. DIS

It's been a while since I've posted anything good on here and after thumbing through a few recent questions about ignition and what parts to use and why I thought I'd take a step back and truly explain ignition. After understanding it you can be able to choose for yourself what parts will work...
  8. M

As far as a wastespark ignition system goes (coil pack) I suggest using double platinums. The way that ignition system works is two plugs are fired at once, one on the compression stroke, the other on exhaust stroke. One spark jumpes the conventional way (electrode to ground) and the other...
  9. M

Taurus Electric Fan installed pics. (lots of pics)

Well as for the youtube response there's no doubt that your fan pulls what it does. I am telling you that my fan pulls less; we've hit 100 plus degrees here in charlotte, nc several days this summer and my thirty amp still hasn't popped. I will add though, your fan sounds a lot louder than mine...
  10. M

Low Amp Probe Oh, and if you're interested in making some easy money on the side and consider yourself a pretty big car guy you may want to invest in a new or used graphing multimeter or oscilloscope. When you use the probe with one of those you can easily daignose starters, fuel pumps...
  11. M

Now don't forget, I may have a 30 amp....I did this some time ago and being that I work on 4-10 cars a day it's hard to remember what I ate from breakfast let alone the amperage draw of my electric fan I installed forever ago. Now when I did all my wiring connections I performed a rosin core...
  12. M

Hmmm, what I did with mine was hooked the inductive pick up clamp of our VAT tester to the positive, while the other clamps were on their respective battery posts and tested amperage with all other loads on max. I then went up to the next biggest/logical amperage rating for a fuse/breaker. As...
  13. M

Not to be rude, but it's always worked for me and everyone else that I've ever worked with or been taught by. But Either way, 100 amp is excessive. Heat does have a factor and I understand that. But even with throwing Ohms law out, I would go now higher than 50 amps on a breaker. Once you think...
  14. M

Even if you were unsure you could always use Ohms law to calculate estimated amperage. Battery Voltage at idle/Ohms of Fan=Estimated Amperage
  15. M

I installed the same fan into my 98 explorer. I don't have a pic of the actual fan, but here is the wiring for it. I also made mine into a two speed by splicing into the ground wire; T-ing off with one side just straight wire, and the other with a rather large resistor. The high speed goes to...
  16. M

To Lift or Lower....

It's not a stock color. I painted it myself and did a how to diary sort of thing on here about it. Click Here. I think I'm going to use a shackle set to lift the rear and level the truck, then lower it and line it up at work....
  17. M

To Lift or Lower....

Ok, I've posted many how to threads on here before, and this time I need some suggestions from you guys. Right now I have a 98 explorer with stock suspension. I have rear spring sag in the rear, and it sits an inch or so lower in the rear. Because of me being in tech school my budget is a little...
  18. M

Old School V-8 Swap?

Wellllll.....honestly it would require just as much work hard wiring everything to work with a carb setup; considering the PCM is all powerful and mighty! lol.... Just wondering...but why don't you like the OBD setup? Of all things fuel economy and performance will be top notch with a computer...
  19. M

Rear Differential remove/replace

Ooops... Sorry for assuming you were going for the whole housing.....but hey, atleast you know. Let us know if you need more info; I'm sure one of us can guide you through it!
  20. M

Rear Differential remove/replace

Rear End Removal & Installation Ok, I will give you the best off the top of my head write up I can for you....So here it goes: Before swapping rear differential assemblies please ensure that the gear ratios are the same; otherwise speedometer and transmission shift points will be affected...
  21. M

Engine clatter after oil change

Well, you can think what you want....But consider this - I've worked in a gm dealer- to be honest with you no one cares about causing engine damage by using an oem filter. I know for sure I've never even given it a thought....We've always been more concerned with upselling work that others don't...
  22. M

Engine clatter after oil change

This "diesel" noise you are hearing can actually be from two sources....generally. It may be traditional valve clatter as the 4.0 ohv's are notorius for; or it could be carbon build up. Each time you hear a marble roll it is the carbon on the piston face contacting the cylinder head. The piston...
  23. M

Marble sound from oil pan at idle only?

I've been told by a Ford Sr. Master Tech that a lot of the times the noise can be caused by carbon build up on the piston face, leading to contact of the head by the piston. The marbles you are hearing are "impacts". Tryperforming a chemical carbon clean. If you have any questions please ask. If...
  24. M

Marbles in engine when started?

This is not a normal occurance. I have been told at my tech school that this is caused by carbon build up. The explaination I recieved from a Ford Sr. Master Technician was that carbon builds up on the piston faces, and becomes so severe that it will contact the cylinder head. The sound you're...
  25. M

Numerous codes after welding work was performed.

Ok, I got bored and decided I'd do my own diagnosis. I found that the EVR Solenoid (controls egr percentage by voltage recieved from pcm) is on circuit c361 and shares a common splice s167 with fuel injectors, cam sensor, and trans. The radio recieves ground from g100 and is on c57. The PCM...
Back