• Register Today It's free!

Marbles in engine when started?

rgoers

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I have a 2000 Sport that I bought used about a month ago. Sometimes, when I start it, it sounds like a diesel engine for a few minutes... you know, that sound like there are marbles in the engine. The seller said he just had the timing belt (chain?) replaced before he sold it. Could that be what is making the noise? Maybe it didn't get tensioned correctly? It's pretty loud, but usually goes away after a few minutes... Anybody else have this problem? :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried the seach?
What engine does your Sport have? 4.0L OHV or 4.0L SOHC?

Search this forum for "Dieseling" or Marbling" or "ticking on startup" or valvetrain clatter, etc...

it is convered extensively.
Did you get a warranty?
Have you changed the oil?

No warranty - bought from private individual. I have the SOHC engine. Oil was changed just before I bought it. I've only put a few hundred miles on it. Sucks gas like crazy... and I bought it mainly to tow my sled trailer.

Haven't tried a search yet. I'm still trying to find my way around this forum. :)

Thanks guys. The search basically yielded "it's a Ford... get used to it". As long as it's not going to explode, I can live with the noise. People hear it and think it's a diesel... Cool!

rgoers said:
"it's a Ford... get used to it".

um....i have owned 3 Fords.....all my family Have Fords.

none the gas-engine powered Fords have every sounded like a diesel.

i'm guessing that if it only makes the noise at start-up/cold that its most likely piston slap

This is not a normal occurance. I have been told at my tech school that this is caused by carbon build up. The explaination I recieved from a Ford Sr. Master Technician was that carbon builds up on the piston faces, and becomes so severe that it will contact the cylinder head. The sound you're hearing is the "impact" of the cylinder to the head. Perform a sea-foam treatment; IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK! Chemical carbon cleaning can cause major internal engine damage!

wow... um way to wake up an old thread from 2006. He had a SOHC engine, it was the timing chains I bet.

Back