Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Bad Transfercase?

Update: I was driving to my parents house last friday (around 75 miles), I stopped for gas about half way home, when I took off from the gas stop the 4Hi and 4Lo lights were flashing. The front end was bucking really bad when I pulled in and out of the gas station. It went back to the...
  2. R

Bad Transfercase?

I'll have to check how tight the bolts are the next time I go home. It hate not having a garage and I left all my tools in my dad's garage a couple weeks ago.
  3. R

Bad Transfercase?

bump
  4. R

Bad Transfercase?

Thanks for the information, I'll try that out. How much did it cost and what exactly did they do to fix it? If they just do something to the computer I'll be relieved and frustrated at the same time.
  5. R

Bad Transfercase?

I just ran out and checked the steering fluid, there was plenty there. Thanks for the info 97splorer, that limits a good amount out. How long have you been having the problem? My dad doesn't want me to take it into a shop unless it get's worse. My Explorer doesn't have a 2WD option...
  6. R

Bad Transfercase?

That'd make the noise all the time though, wouldn't it? I've heard what it sounds like when my friends truck was out of power steering fluid and these aren't comparible. This is just sometimes when I'm pulling into a parking spot or turning onto a street. There's also a slight whine when I'm...
  7. R

Bad Transfercase?

I don't think the power steering would make the front wheels bind, I'll check it though. I can literally feel the hop sometimes because it's binding. Thanks
  8. R

Bad Transfercase?

anybody?
  9. R

Bad Transfercase?

I've had a problem lately when I make sharp corners, like into a parking lot, my front end makes some bad noises, grinding, hops a little bit, all around bad news. I took it to a good shop last week and they thought it was the tranfercase staying engaged, which made sense to me, and they hoped...
  10. R

Bad EGR?

bump... or could it be the beginning of the end for a fuel injector?
  11. R

Bad EGR?

I've been searching for a while and can't be sure that this is my problem. I went to start my Explorer this afternoon and it idled really rough, like it was runnin on 1-2 cylinders and died. If I floored it it would stay running for about 20 seconds then die again. I figured the only thing I...
  12. R

Cold tranny

I've been babying it since and haven't had that problem, but I don't think there's much life left in it. I think I fried the clutch packs when my valvebody messed up last year. I just hope it lasts untill I get out of college.
  13. R

Nicest Supra I've ever seen

is anybody else trying to find the second tattoo?
  14. R

Cold tranny

When I was driving home today I accelerated pretty hard to get up to speed then let off, but it took my tranny at least 3 seconds to shift into gear. I try not to do that cause it usually takes a while to shift, but today was notably longer than ever before. I'm really paranoid about my...
  15. R

98 door locks

I had the latch go bad in my 98 as well. Not to really piss TAS98xlt off, but I had my latch replaced at my Ford dealership for ~$70. I knew the spring in the latch had broken and I took the broken part out. The latch itself is about $35 according to the reciept, I would have replaced it...
  16. R

After the surgery on trans

I had the same bad gasket problem on my Explorer. Instead of taking it to a tranny shop, they basically looked to see that it was an Explorer and said rebuild, I took it to a Ford dealership and they replaced the valve body(which is the only real damaged part). That was around $800, which was...
  17. R

Section is a tease!

You have to take most of the front end apart to get to the cam in. I helped my friend put new roller rockers in his 351 and he ran the engine w/ the valve covers off after every couple of sylinders to make sure oil was getting through, if you're careful you'll just loose a little oil doin that...
  18. R

Can disk brakes freeze to the rotor?

If they spin fine going forward I don't think the problem is the pads freezing to the rotor. I'd check to make sure the pads are wearing even, if one of the pins is messed up the caliper can kind of twist and wear unevenly. That might be a cause, but I could be wrong. Assuming, since you're...
  19. R

if you can tell me how to wire this you get a $$$ prize

I saw this on Tech TV last week, and the only way to do it w/o the laptop is to contact Sharp and see if they sell a converter(or whatever you need) for it, but that's highly unlikely. Laptop screens only communicate w/ the laptop from my understanding.
  20. R

Good Price?

money wise?... let's see, bought the truck for $450 w/ a rebuilt 390, put about $200 into new body panels, $500 into rebuilt heads, intake and 4barrel, $100 for the headers plus other mescellanius stuff. It left rubber in every gear the few times I did get to drive it. But then I went to...
  21. R

Good Price?

I have an axle from a 67 F-150 I was restoring, but gave up cause I had no $$, now one of my friends dad is intrested in buying it for his 51 F-1, I was wondering if anybody could give me good price for it. According to the manual I had for the 67, it said that it came w/ a Dana 60 rear, but my...
  22. R

Coolant spilling out the radiator cap?!?!?

was it running hot? From my experience when an engine is running hot they usually have a blow off valve that dumps the radiator fluid off to the side( but I'm remembering from older vehicles, don't know about Explorers). So if you engine wasn't running hot I'd guess that either your radiator...
  23. R

how do cars with no ac defrost the windshield?

When you use defrost the A/C is autmatically cycled so you are blowing dry air onto the windshield to defrost the windows better.
  24. R

5-speed NO SHIFT

but, you just got your avatar fixed.
  25. R

What would you consider as a Lemon?

I do regularly maintain my Explorer, and I don't beat on it. I do take it out in the mud occasionally (jus a couple small mud puddles by my house), but for the most part I just take it back and forth to school and work. I'm pretty paranoid about taking care of it. I'm the second owner, I got...
Back