Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 0

2003 Blower Motor Issue

I found the issue today. The darn vacuum line was off going in through the firewall. The fitting was broken so I had to take it off the line and plug the line directly in to the firewall hose. Does anyone know what this fitting is called or maybe even a part number? Pic below!
  2. 0

2003 Blower Motor Issue

I noticed if I have the blower on while driving, and get on the vehicle a little bit, the air flow stops coming out of the vents. It still sounds as if the blower is working but the air flow stops. If I cycle the switch o0n and off a few times, the air resumes blowing from the vents. I changed...
  3. 0

2003 XLT V6 "Popping" Noises

The sound you hear after driving your vehicle for a while and its hot, you shut it off and hear the ticking/popping from the exhaust underneath is what I'm hearing off and on all the time. I had the left side cat changed as it had a pinhole but the tick/pop persists. Could a baffle within the...
  4. 0

2003 AC Issue

I've been having a squeeling noise coming from the AC system in my V6 Explorer for a few years now. I know it's not the belt and seems to be coming directly from the compressor. Can the bearing just be changed out in these or does a whole compressor unit need installed? If it is bearing only...
  5. 0

4.0L V6 Engine Leaking / Burning Fluid

More Information for GATES CO34738 Your thermostat housing is leaking! Common problem as its made of plastic.
  6. 0

2003 XLT Rear Brake Pads

Noticed today that both rear inside pads were almost worn all the way down and appeared to be stuck against the rotors. I changed everything out and sanded and lubed all the contact points like I always do but am wondering why they stuck and were worn like they were. I doubt it's an actual...
  7. 0

defroster door lever broken

I actually bought a replacement air box as my lever is broken off as well. I have the old one gerry rigged with some wire and it appears to be holding its own but I'm sure eventually it's going to break. By the way, I found this air box on eBay for $50! They guy bought it but never used it...
  8. 0

Thermostat Thoughts

I did have to order another housing replacement as this Motorad I put in a year or so ago is leaking again. I went with the Gates model this time. I also had a Motorcraft OEM thermostat in there prior to changing to the lower temp stat. I have a new OEM spec. Stant that I'm going to drop in to...
  9. 0

Thermostat Thoughts

Thanks, Guru, but it's been in the truck for three weeks now and has yet to throw a dash light. The only thing I've noticed is the gauge on the dash doesn't go up as far as with the 190 thermostat. Ah, hell with it! I had to order a replacement housing and will just throw the 195 back in when I...
  10. 0

Thermostat Thoughts

My 2003 XLT V6 was taking quite a while to warm up on cold mornings. I replaced the 195 degree thermostat with a 174 degree thermostat. It warms up quicker on cold mornings but I'm wondering if the colder thermostat is causing any issues anywhere being things were designed for the 195 stat...
  11. 0

Duct Work Air Box Replacement

https://scontent.***c1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53323360_2239792379611360_7075652041099444224_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.***c1-1.fna&oh=f5b8ef516d50c42058a9ab537418d914&oe=5CE249C3...
  12. 0

Duct Work Air Box Replacement

Anyone ever change out this duct work box behind the dash? This is where the common problem of the broken directional air flow problem occurs.
  13. 0

2003 Dash Removal

Ok, guys and gals, how hard is it to get the passenger side dash pulled away so that I can replace the air inlet box? How many bolts? Any help or tips on doing this would be greatly appreciated!
  14. 0

Front Wheel Bearing

I put the Moog's on mine and haven't had any issues. I wouldn't skimp on something like this. Pay a little more for a quality part and don't worry about it afterwords.
  15. 0

2003 XLT Front Grill

Can a chrome grill from a 03 XLT be removed and painted black without much trouble? What all would be involved in doing this? Would I need to sand every inch to prep or would a simple wipe down and spray paint do the trick? I plan to use the plastic Krylon paint in a can.
  16. 0

Intermittent "Rub" Noise?

I've noticed twice now a sort of "rubbing" noise/vibration coming from my 2003 Explo V6, 4x4. This only seems to happen after driving the truck for a long distance. The first time it happened, my niece felt it in the rear of the vehicle and asked "what was that..." I did not hear it any...
  17. 0

Front plate mounting hardware - 2003

Does anyone know where to purchase the hardware to mount my front license plate bracket to my 2003? Does Ford sell just the hardware? I've read about these being long rivet type mounting pins but was wondering if something else can be jerry rigged to hold the bracket in place? Anyone have...
  18. 0

Lugs stuck...

if you have a little propane torch around the house you could always try heating the lugs up then putting on the wrench. maybe it would be a good idea to put a little anti seize on the threads when you get them off. this would be a nightmare if you got a flat on the highway and couldn't change it.
  19. 0

2003 Explorer V6 Tranny Issue

I noticed today when I put the vehicle into drive there is sort of a slight "whine" noise like a pump starting. It only does this in drive and not reverse. I was wondering if this sound is a normal thing or not. The truck shifts fine. The only thing I've ever noticed with it is that it takes a...
  20. 0

A/C Fix - Dealer Comment

I'd like to run this one by everyone here to see if you all think this is on the level. 2003 Explorer XLT V6 4x4. A/C was blowing cold a few weeks ago out the passenger side vents only. Drivers side vents were blowing hot air. A/C unit stopped blowing cold air all together recently. The...
  21. 0

Stuttering / Slipping / ???

My 03 XLT 4.0 whenever it's driven for extended periods of time I notice a "hesitation" like the tranny is slipping or the auto 4x4 is engaging and disengaging quickly. This happened about a year and a half ago then went away. It started happening again about two months ago. I'm still under...
  22. 0

2003 Explorer TPMS?

Does the 2003 Explorer XLT V6 have TPMS? I'm the third owner of the vehicle so I do not have the original window sticker. How can one tell if the vehicle has TPMS or not? I had new tires installed recently and noticed just regular valve stems. It got me to thinking if maybe the tire dealer...
  23. 0

2003 XLT Rear Brakes

2003, 4x4, V6, XLT, 40k miles. For some reason, the rotors on the right side of my vehicle are rusting out on the edges. This causes brake vibrations and all sorts of funny noises under braking. I park along the street (left side or right side) as I have no driveway but it always seems to...
  24. 0

03 Tranny Noise

2003 - V6 - 4x4 - 39k miles When I put the vehicle into drive after first starting it up, you can hear a slight "squeel" type noise coming from underneath before the tranny engages. It takes maybe 4-5 seconds before going into gear. The truck will also delay in shifting from drive into...
  25. 0

Belt and Hoses

I want to replace the belt on my 2003 XLT V6 with a Goodyear Gatorback. I ordered one online and was sent a belt that is 85.5" (part# 4060855). Does anyone know if this belt size is the usable size or the overall length? I saw that the OEM Motorcraft belt size is listed as 86 1/8" in length. It...
Back