overheating | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

overheating

1. L

Can't figure out why I'm overheating..a few symptoms..

On Sunday my 2005 Explorer started overheating and I noticed the smell of burning coolant. I immediately pulled into a Walmart and noticed coolant dripping slowly..I popped the the hood and realized it was only slowly dropping because the reservoir was empty. I ran in, grabbed a bottle of leak...
  2. N

Overheating...but not really

Hey guys, So I'm new around here but am coming in with a problem that has me completely stumped. I have an 07 Sport Trac Limited V8 that has recently begun throwing warnings of overheating while running at highway speeds with either the AC or Cabin Vent on. Once the temperature rises...
  3. C

overheating and stumped

Hello! I am completely stumped. I have an 02 Ford Explorer sport. It was running hot and I changed the thermostat, didn't help. I also flushed and cleaned radiator, didn't help. When driving the temp gauge stays at normal but when you get out you can hear the engine and exhaust ticking from...
  4. T

Overheating? Gears grinding? Waterpump?

Hey guys, So I have a slight dilemma, last weekend it was pretty hot here in Iowa and I was pulling out some hedge roots with the Ex. :exp: I had 5 to pull out, and everything was going smoothly at first. I pulled the first 3 out with a little jerk in 4-low and it was going good. So I was...
  5. G

02 Explorer XLT Overheating - Baffled in NJ

Hello fine folks of Explorer Forum! I've a 2002 Explorer XLT with 197,000 miles. Two years ago had the dreaded thermostat housing replaced after it cracked and a year ago the radiator was replaced. About a month ago, I took it into the dealer for some repair work, particularly due to what...
  6. C

overheat problem

Hi, I have a 1998 Ford Explorer with a 4.0l SOHC V6. I have replaced my Thermostat, Temperature sensor, and Water pump. As soon as I start the engine the needle goes straight to hot and stays there, even though the engine is cold, I can literally put my hand on the head of the engine, but it...
  7. S

02 mounty 4.6 2wd tow package cooler issue

I have a 2002 mountaineer 4.6 2wd with a towpackage. I have had a shift problem with the past few months did a filter replacement. It was good for a few weeks then it overheated. I didnt see an oil cooler until today it was between the condenser and radiator. I was wondering if the overheat...
  8. S

02 mounty 4.6 2wd tow package cooler issue

I have a 2002 mountaineer 4.6 2wd with a towpackage. I have had a shift problem with the past few months did a filter replacement. It was good for a few weeks then it overheated. I didnt see an oil cooler until today it was between the condenser and radiator. I was wondering if the overheat...
  9. S

Plz help!!! Explorer is overheating!!!

Hey everyone my 02 explorer just started overheating. I noticed all the coolant was gone so put a new jug in the coolant reservoir. And it worked fine for about a day and now i noticed that all the coolant is gone and there is some steam coming off my engine. Also looks like some brown fluid is...
  10. S

Plz help!!! Overheating!!! ;(

Hey everyone my 02 explorer just started overheating. I noticed all the coolant was gone so put a new jug in the coolant reservoir. And it worked fine for about a day and now i noticed that all the coolant is gone and there is some steam coming off my engine. Also looks like some brown fluid is...
  11. D

06 Explorer Overheating Randomly - Can't figure out the issue!

Hey everyone. I'm new here but thank you for the valuable information provided by this great community. I have already learned a lot, but still very confused about the issue with my 2006 Explorer. The story.. I bought the car in '08 with 13,000 miles. Almost immediately had to replace the...
  12. M

PLZ HELP: Overheating and now hell has broken loose!

Right... I dont even know where to start but I definitely know I need some help and advice. Mine is a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer, which I know is the same as a Ford Explorer (more and less)... have had it fro day 1; the car has done just over 160km and has never had any major problems. On a...
  13. D

HELP! 01 Sports Trac Overheating

My 01 Sports Trac has started overheating in the last day or so. I bought it used less than a month ago. When I first bought it, I was filling the coolant every few days. Now the coolant is full but I'm overheating. I'm thinking it could be the water pump or possibly thermostat housing. Need...
  14. T

engine overheated!!!!

hello, today my engine overheated. so i said ok ill just top off the water and let it cool off. so i did. but from the store to my house the temp started to rise above oe recommended temp. so when i got home i checked the oil cap to see if i blew a gasket. i didnt, thank god. but now i dont...
  15. J

98 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition Overheat

Hey guys I have a 98 Explorer EB and I noticed that as I'm driving the temp gauge goes up pretty high then will decrease back to normal and go back and fourth while I am driving, if I am on the road for more than 20 minutes or 5-10 miles and continue while I am driving. I wasn't sure if this had...
  16. S

Mazda B2500 Overheats During Idle

I have a 1999 Mazda B2500 that is overheating while idling or when the air is on. Just started hitting 104 days here in Texas so I'm sure that isn't helping the situation. When driving the temp meter is at 50% but when sitting idle the temperature steadily climbs to the red line. I can...
  17. T

94 explorer running hot

Hey guys I got a 94 explorer ran great till recently she started running hot and rough all a sudden I changed thermostat and no luck so I changed radiator now I have a transmission fluid leak and not better still I'm thinking the head gasket just thought I would ask yalls opinion... Any help...
  18. D

Overheating, intake or head gasket? How?

2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6. 215,000mi, temp gauge had always spiked hot for 10 sec every morning. The other day it stayed at HOT. I pulled over and whited smoke came out tailpipe. Coolant leaked out below reservoir. Car novice hear. Checked oil and had no water or grey substance. Towed...
  19. J

Coolant Problem

I am new to the forum. I have an 4 Liter Explorer 4x4 SOHC XLT 1998. Over the holidays I replaced the water pump and theromostat and a few dodgy hoses around them because the water pump was squeaking on start up and there was a leak on top of the thermostat housing that turned out to be due...
  20. M

Overheating issues

Ok guys I need some help... I have an 04 explorer V6 and its acting strange. I live in montana so it gets cold. Coolant was low and the heater wouldn't get hot right away and would only blow hot air while we were driving. I added some coolant and viola problem solved. Yesterday we get on...
  21. B

Secondary Aux Transmission Cooler

I have a 2005 Explorer with 4.6 V8 and towing package. No transmission servicing has ever been done and I have owned this vehicle since new. I have 80,000 miles on it. Recently I was pulling a car on an open trailer up a grade that was probably about 2 miles long at 6% grade. I consider it...
  22. G

Overheating question

I have a 2000 Explorer, 6 cy. Yesterday, we took a day trip, about 200 miles from home. Just as we were starting our return trip, my truck overheated. We stopped for gas, and after letting it cool, I topped off the radiator, noticing that the level was low. We tried driving and there was...
  23. S

97 xlt running way hot but no cel or code

Ok first I apologize if this is already covered by a thread, the search function isn't working on my phone. Now I have a 97 xlt 4.0 that has 166000 on it.it was running great until a couple days ago.it started running hot and gas mileage got worse. its not showing any stored codes and the cel...
  24. F

Electric Fan Clutch Problem

My 2007 Sports trac overheated on my son yesterday, luckily he pulled off the road to let it cool off and turned the heater on. I suspected the electric fan clutch because it did it in stop and go traffic and the A/C at idle lately hasn't been working to well either. My question is, is it the...
  25. I

1995 Explorer 4.0 Overheating Problem (yes, I've searched already.)

My girlfriend has a 95 Explorer 4.0 that is overheating. She told me that one time, she was driving around and went to go get gas. Her car was overheating before she shut it off. After she gassed-up, she went to start her car and it would not start. She waited a few minutes, tried to start...
Back