• Register Today It's free!

01 Sport Trac Fitted W/ 20"

allaboutjo

Reaction score
City, State
Lusby, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I am looking to upgrade our rims/tires on our 01 ST. We currently have 15's with 235/75 Tires. Found a local set of 4 Cobra wheels from a 05 mustang. They are 20" rims with 255/35 tires. I am wondering if I am going to get any rub when installed and what extra may possibly be needed for proper fitment.

Unfortunately the seller does not know the backspacing nor the width of the rims. I am sure they would allow me to test fit them, but I don't want to waste their time if they don't fit. Would anyone be able to tell what problems I could encounter?

Way to much backspace in my opinion.

The 05 Mustangs didn't come with 20's, so I think you really want to figure out what he has.

Here are some offsets for OEM Mustang wheels

16x7 OEM 35mm offset
17x8 OEM45mm offset
18x8.5 OEM 50mm offset

With that offset you will rub full lock. To put the mm in an American friendly size the three above wheels (cobras being likely the 18" rims) the following are the conversions

16" diameter with 7" of width and approximately 1 3/8" positive offset meaning of that 7" width 4 7/8" will extend inward from the rotor face.

As for the 17" diameter 8" width and approximately 1 3/4" positive offset means of that 8" width 5 3/4" will extend inward from rotor face

As for the 18" diameter 8 1/2" width and approximately 1 15/16" positive offset means of that 8 1/2" width 6 3/16" will extend inward from rotor face.

On stock expo trac rims just upsizing from 235/70R16 to 265/75R16 caused rub at full lock on the sway bar. My recommendation is to run spacers to if you want full turning radius

Thank you both for the advice! I was wondering about the 20" rims as they stated they were factory, but I couldn't find anything relating to 20" Factory Cobra R wheels. Now I am guessing aftermarket wheels, which would not be that great of a deal, but still a savings over purchasing rims/tires new.

The one concern that I would have with spacers is - Living in the state of Maryland (the area I live in our major highway is training grounds to Maryland State Police) they are pretty strict in regards to the regulations for aftermarket items on vehicles. Now they do tend to only go after the "teens" with the loud exhausts and slammed vehicles, but I have seen them go after others. The spacers would make the rims stick out of the fender well, which in their (MSP) eyes, fender extenders would be needed, otherwise I would be looking at a nice inspection sticker from them.

I guess I should scratch these from the list and stick with a smaller size rim/tire combo. Kind of upset, as I thought they looked pretty decent on the Sport Trac that we have.(These are not the exact Rims they are selling, but as close of an image as I could find to represent what they would look like on the vehicle. )
Picture1_zps8251b7af.jpg

Back