03 lincoln aviator | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

Can you disable the fuel injectors and see if it will start on "starting fluid" at least for a moment (crank while spraying past the throttle blade)? This would at least help narrow it (the problem) down to ignition, or fuel. ALso, does the factory F.I. algorithms not have WOT clear flood mode (during cranking)?
I actually tried starter flood with injectors plugged in..it tried to start like it normally does the very first time but flooded right out and wouldnt stay running..

Idk what you mean by the 2nd question. .if asking does wot shut the injectors off,then yes..it unfortunately doesnt clear it out enough and plugs have to be pulled and dried off..they are that wet..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the injector prime pulse? and what is the injector cranking pulse width?. Can you monitor all the computer sensors while trying to start? I know I am asking alot of questions, but without having to read back 25 pages!

What is the injector prime pulse? and what is the injector cranking pulse width?. Can you monitor all the computer sensors while trying to start? I know I am asking alot of questions, but without having to read back 25 pages!
I honestly dont know if i can or not..i just borrowed this Autel unit..it does have live functions but dont know if it will show any of that info or if it will wile starting..i dont honestly know how to fully use this thing,do you by chance??

When the fuel rail pressure sensor is disconnected the PCM does not know how to control the speed of the fuel pump. I think it defaults to max duty cycle resulting in the intank fuel pressure regulator controlling the fuel pressure. As I recall the PCM controlled fuel pressure is about 40 psi but without PCM control it may jump to 60 or more psi. You posted that the fuel pressure was good. What was the value when you measured it? What is it now that the sensor is connected?

Disconnect the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure sensor and check for the presence of fuel. If the fuel pressure sensor is broken internally fuel can pass thru it from the fuel rail to the intake system. It is solid state and more reliable than the old diaphragm type fuel pressure regulator. For your Aviator there are only two ways for fuel to get into the intake manifold: thru the injectors or thru the fuel pressure sensor.

Are the spark plugs on both banks equally wet with fuel?

Whats the coolant temp sensor reading in F?
What is the fuel pressure?

When the fuel rail pressure sensor is disconnected the PCM does not know how to control the speed of the fuel pump. I think it defaults to max duty cycle resulting in the intank fuel pressure regulator controlling the fuel pressure. As I recall the PCM controlled fuel pressure is about 40 psi but without PCM control it may jump to 60 or more psi. You posted that the fuel pressure was good. What was the value when you measured it? What is it now that the sensor is connected?

Disconnect the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure sensor and check for the presence of fuel. If the fuel pressure sensor is broken internally fuel can pass thru it from the fuel rail to the intake system. It is solid state and more reliable than the old diaphragm type fuel pressure regulator. In your Aviator there are only two ways for fuel to get into the intake manifold: thru the injectors or thru the fuel pressure sensor.

Are the spark plugs on both banks equally wet with fuel?
When i manually tested and the plug was still bad (not plugged in) i got 42 psi..with it plugged in and sat for a second ,after it primed i got 32psi by means of the Autel..

Vacuum lines is bone dry and yes both banks are drenched.
20180529_142158.jpg

I know I am new to the game here, but not new to cars or fuel injection. Autel? not real familiar with that but it has to be able to data logg, so you can look over all information from the sensors and variables to see whats happening, that will tell you what is wrong. Just by chance, have you tried disconnecting power to the ECM/PCU for a while? Or is that even possible or feasible with this system?

I know I am new to the game here, but not new to cars or fuel injection. Autel? not real familiar with that but it has to be able to data logg, so you can look over all information from the sensors and variables to see whats happening, that will tell you what is wrong. Just by chance, have you tried disconnecting power to the ECM/PCU for a while? Or is that even possible or feasible with this system?
Yes had battery unplugged and charging over night..its a Autel Maxisys ..i also have a x3 for the truck

Whats the coolant temp sensor reading in F?
What is the fuel pressure?
When had the manual gauge hooked up and trying to crank it stayed around 42ish and could see every time a injector fired,it would slightly drop psi for split second..

20180529_162823.jpg
20180529_162346.jpg
20180529_163923.jpg

Autel Maxisys, looks like a nice system! Wish I had something like that! Something that nice has to have a way to "data log" so you can see what is happening. Would it be too much trouble to disable the fuel pump, and set up your Autel to "data log" a cranking session of 10-15 seconds? This way you can look at the data log at all the sensors and variables to find out what is amiss.

Really crapy pic because cant figure out to pause or stop the live feed but shows when i was cranking it
20180529_170633.jpg

Im 110% outa ideas..i almost think its a spark issue now..the injectors look to be injecting right,cant see how much or pulse rates but why that wouldve changed idk..

With the coils out and plugged in,if i crank it i can hear all of them firing also..

I did unplug the pump and spray starter fluid in and tried to start it..it did try but didnt fire completely over and run..i dont have a 2nd person to try and start wile i spray....

I had about 1/4 tank of year old gas which i just added 5 fresh gallons to so dont really think its bad gas either..

I dont even know who i could call or where i could take this thing other than dealer and doubt they will want to work on a modified truck or if so dont wanna know what they would charge..i just need this thing running, i haven't had a vehicle for MONTHS now ...

When out of ideas, go back to basics! I hate to ask redunt quuestions to things you have already checked.

So you have verified that the injectors are pulsing and the spark plugs are firing. I suggest that you collect some fuel from the fuel system in a clear jar and evaluate it. If it smells and looks like lacquer then it is not (or barely) combustible.
oldfuel.jpg

It could also contain condensed water vapor making it noncombustible. You can remove the Schrader valve core in the pressure relief fitting, install a tight fitting hose routed to a container and energize the fuel pump to collect a sample. Pulling the fuel from the tank is not a good test. You need to see the same fuel the injectors are experiencing.

Edit: I just checked my Aviator shop manual and don't see a pressure relief valve - probably because the PCM controls the fuel pressure.

You need three things to fire off a cylinder, Compression, Spark, and the correct Air Fuel Mixture.
Coolant temp looks good so I see no reason for fuel to be dumping.
You say you definitely have spark?
And compression was 165-185 aprox.

Can you check engine cranking vacuum?
Maybe clogged cats? (you could try removing front o2 sensors and see if it starts.

How was it running right before it didn't run anymore?
This thing was running then boom a rod bearing spun? Or was it something else?

Also if the fuel looks good then maybe crossed wires to coils? or injectors?

You need three things to fire off a cylinder, Compression, Spark, and the correct Air Fuel Mixture.
Coolant temp looks good so I see no reason for fuel to be dumping.
You say you definitely have spark?
And compression was 165-185 aprox.

Can you check engine cranking vacuum?
Maybe clogged cats? (you could try removing front o2 sensors and see if it starts.

How was it running right before it didn't run anymore?
This thing was running then boom a rod bearing spun? Or was it something else?

Also if the fuel looks good then maybe crossed wires to coils? or injectors?

This doesnt have cats..and yea running good till bearings went. .its cop and injectors only go on one way..100% on conectors now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well now i mest up..i put 5 gallons of fresh gas in it because couldnt get a hose down in tank to drain and didnt have a Schrader remover tool..well just went and bout on...this is what came out
20180529_190520.jpg

Next to good gas
20180529_190624.jpg

Think i found my issue

Back