• Register Today It's free!

06 mountaineer won't start

Brabdon D

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
My 2006 Mercury Mountaineer cranks but will not start the feel like temperature is negative 28 degrees and I have an eighth of a tank of fuel about 40 miles left on the tank would the fuel freeze.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't you know you have to keep the fuel tank fairly high in the winter and not leave it low for too long especially when its 1/4 tank. Half min tank is advised. Condensation can build up and it enough you get icing problems. You need a good booster which may get you started if not spinning enough and you have fuel flow issues on top of it.

You should avoid running the tank that low at anytime unless its to reach a gas station. Many vehicles gas pumps rely on gas around them to cool themselves. Repetitive low tanks can result in those burning up the pump from the stress.

So I put 10 gallons in and heated the garage to 50 degrees and still won't start. I did replace the fuel presser sensor and the coil packRecently. just replace the thermostat housing on friday.

Ice don't melt that fast if you have a fuel line block. Although its not good for engines gas line deicer maybe required. Wait for a couple hours minimum and see what happens. Its all guess work but the cold is the most likely cause as it was ok before, I presume.

Water in the fuel rail iced or back in the line from the tank its anyone's guess what is going on. Turn the key ON, then OFF and then ON again without cranking. Do you hear the fuel pump engage/run?

OK tomorrow I will hear the garage all day and see but I did try starting fluid 2 sprays and didn't start. I don't want to use anymore as its not good and it didn't fire this might help narrow it down now.

I did try starting fluid one more time and it started and died so its not getting fuel.

Can you have someone turn the key to prime the pump as you listen if you can hear the pump in the tank ?

I will try tomorrow and have my wife help.

Well the temp is taking a huge dive tonight and staying down 20 degrees colder than it currently is. If anything is thawing its needs to be done by now.

It is now at the repair shop had it towed today will find out tomorrow what is wrong.

ok, and the issue was....

Fuel pump and battery only had 330 CCA out of 700 so I get a free interstate battery.

Back