• Register Today It's free!

Not taking gas

Shtbxmountaineer

Reaction score
City, State
West Milford NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello i have a 2006 mercury mountaineer it hasnt taken fuel with auto feed at the pump in months i have to hold it slightly i read alot of posts on here already I tried the rollover valve in the fill I disconnected the vent line and blew it with a compressor
i took the evap vent hose off at the side of the filler neck by the wheel well and cant blow through it if i take a compressor i can get air in the air through it but not easily so
how can I determine if its the charcoal canister or the solenoid vent valve?

all this started after the car died going up hill and i had to replace the fuel pump and i did the filter so maybe when i dropped the tank fuel got in the charcoal canister 🤷🏻‍♂️

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello i have a 2006 mercury mountaineer it hasnt taken fuel with auto feed at the pump in months i have to hold it slightly i read alot of posts on here already I tried the rollover valve in the fill I disconnected the vent line and blew it with a compressor
i took the evap vent hose off at the side of the filler neck by the wheel well and cant blow through it if i take a compressor i can get air in the air through it but not easily so
how can I determine if its the charcoal canister or the solenoid vent valve?

all this started after the car died going up hill and i had to replace the fuel pump and i did the filter so maybe when i dropped the tank fuel got in the charcoal canister 🤷🏻‍♂️

This reply is from personal experience only:

when my fuel pump went out, I took it to Firestone and they replaced it. Soon after, I went to fill with gas and it wouldn't take a drop. Took it back and it was the solenoid (they say). There was no check engine light from what I remember. No problem for 75k miles.

For the past 6 months I've had the check engine light on due to an Evap code. The dealer ran a diagnostic and said it's the canister. Like you, I have to stand a put in the gas slowly. Sometimes, it can put the pump handle on 1-click and it runs through fine. I just haven't had the $600 needed for labor & material to replace it.

This is probably info you've already seen on this site. Hope it helps anyway

mine i just put the nozzle in as shallow as i can and it takes it on one click like a champ

This reply is from personal experience only:

when my fuel pump went out, I took it to Firestone and they replaced it. Soon after, I went to fill with gas and it wouldn't take a drop. Took it back and it was the solenoid (they say). There was no check engine light from what I remember. No problem for 75k miles.

For the past 6 months I've had the check engine light on due to an Evap code. The dealer ran a diagnostic and said it's the canister. Like you, I have to stand a put in the gas slowly. Sometimes, it can put the pump handle on 1-click and it runs through fine. I just haven't had the $600 needed for labor & material to replace it.

This is probably info you've already seen on this site. Hope it helps anyway

any info helps thank you.
today I disconnected the evap hose going to the charcoal filter and blew through the hose by the filler neck fine so I narrowed it down to it being the charcoal canister not the solenoid

So i dropped the tank again to change the canister. I blew through the old one some air came out not a ton so I removed the whole vent tube on top of the tank and noticed the one side was hard getting air through but it was raining so I ignored it put it together fueled up same thing happened wouldnt take gas so i crawled back under to stick a piece of wire though the vent tube couldn’t even do that so i went for broke took a drill bit smaller than the inner dimension snaked a drill up there and drilled it first time i was able to fill the tank in 4 mins in the last 4 months.

Attachments

• 8688EE8B-A499-4E19-A248-101B4BCF41A3.jpeg
    8688EE8B-A499-4E19-A248-101B4BCF41A3.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 107

I did take the wire and cleaned out the tube after i drilled it as well

Back