• Register Today It's free!

08 SportTrac XLT A/C odor help

khollis

Reaction score
City, State
Clemson, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Explorer SportTrac XLT
I have an 08 SportTrac XLT with about 34k miles, I've noticed for about the past year that the A/C smells like mold/urine when I first turn on the car. It has been getting worse too. Any ideas on whats wrong and how to fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there could be some mold or something in the vents does it only happen wiht Ac or heat as well? I had to do this with my Brothers focus once when he had that issue we took the vents out and sprayed the inside with Lysol to kill anything that was in there and the smell went away

that or someone played a sick nasty joke on you :)

I had that problem as well. Even took to dealer once, gave me the BS line... "no problem found", but they sprayed some deodorizer in it that actually smelled WORSE! And after about a month the smell was back. I did what the poster above said, sprayed about half a can of Lysol spray down into the cowl intake vent, with Ac ON SET TO OUTSIDE AIR. Ran for 15 minutes, shut it off, then sprayed inside the interior vents and let it sit overnight. That was probably more than 6 months ago, no more odor. Wife's 06 Taurus had same problem, did that to hers and it's gone too. :thumbsup:

Wonder if the cabin filter needs to be replaced.

yeah changing the cabin air filter as well is a good idea a little bit of water may have leaked from the cowl on to it and that could be causing it

I don't think Explorers have cabin air filters.

mine has one right behind the airbag and above the glovebox. looks easy to take out but I have not done it yet.

The moisture collects from the A/C condensation and stays damp in there. Damp + dark = mold/mildew. And that is the source of this smell on any vehicle. The dealership was just being lazy. For a thorough A/C odor repair they should open the HVAC case, clean with a bleach/water solution, then coat the evaporator with a Ford de-funk'ifier that prevents mold and mildew growth. But it's a pain in the rear, so it doesn't always get done. Lysol works fine, there are solutions made just for this, available at most any parts store that will do the same thing.

Back