10W30 or 5W30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

10W30 or 5W30

ricklee4570

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
What do most of you guys run? I have heard that if you have over 100,000 miles you should run 10W instead of 5W.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run 5W30 in the explorer. The "5W" is how the oil acts when cold (W inter). 5W is thinner at cold cranking than 10W. It still acts like 30 weight oil at operating temperature. I put 0W30 synthetic in a couple of my other vehicles.

I run a 10w-30 merely for how hot it gets here in the Summer. A mechanic of about 40 years told me 5w-30 through my engine was like water going through it.

Granted he was drunk when he said it, lol, I trust him. No problems though after 2.5 years of running it.

by the time i'm done with my engine, i'll be running 20W50....

2 cases of 20w50 for $30, CASTROL GTX!! woo... why not? like it ever gets cold on the washington coast. As long as the lower side of the rating is good for the colder temperatures you might encounter, then no problem.... less oil consumption, quiets things down, a little less MPG but that's about it, maybe 1/2MPG lol

I use 5w30 synthetic in my 94 EX. Its now at 261k+ miles and it runs fine. The only reason people use heavier weight oils is because the oil leaks.

If you are not leaking or burning oil, 5w should be fine. :)

There aint no leaks on me. "truck-boat-truck"

Back