10w30 instead of 5w30

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
I usually put 5w30 in my truck because that's what it calls for, but this time I decided to put in some 10w30 full synthetic because the 5w30 box said it was a "newer vehicle formula". I know it's risky to put synthetic in a higher milage engine, but what about the fact that it's 10w30 instead of 5w30? Will it hurt anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hartman,

I've always used 5w-30 and changed it at regular intervals (5000 miles when the car was newer and now every 3000 miles). Putting 10w30 wont hurt it, but remember that during the winter time, you want something with less viscosity (resistance to flow). If you're going to use 10w30, I would limit such use to the warmer months and use the 5w30 for the colder months. Not sure about the synthetic stuff. Change your oil on a regular basis = no need for the fake stuff.

5w30 flows better when its cold out. i use it year round in wisconsin. it shouldnt matter if its synthetic or not. synthetic just lasts longer. i changed my oil right before halloween and dont have to change it again till spring. it really helps running synthetic, i drive so much and i dont have to change the oil every month.

I almost always used 10/30. Though I think you should use 5/30 where you live.

Hmmm I guess I'll have to switch back then.

Although 5W-30 is recommended in the manual, 10W-30 is ok to use in warm climates.

I still think oil synthetics are a waste of money just like ALL oil additives. If you change your regular oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles how can it go bad?

I was running 10w30, but recently switch to 5w30 just for the fact I have a-lot of miles and I figure its better to get the oil flowing faster on startups, so I am now running 5w30.

Hartman, I run 0w20 here in HOTTTTTT Florida and never had any problems.

You are fine using 10w30 also.

Good luck.

Originally posted by X~FACTOR
I still think oil synthetics are a waste of money just like ALL oil additives. If you change your regular oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles how can it go bad?

Going bad is not the issue with theses change intervals' you simply do not gain the benefits of synthetic.

From what I hear, the synthetic stuff holds up much longer than oil. It doesn't break down as quickly and you don't have to waste your time under the pan replacing it as often. A friend of mine swears by it. He says it looks just as new as when he put it in. I can NOT say the same about true oil. I don't mind getting under there and changing it every 3K, but other just like synthetic better.

Originally posted by JoeDirt
From what I hear, the synthetic stuff holds up much longer than oil. It doesn't break down as quickly and you don't have to waste your time under the pan replacing it as often. A friend of mine swears by it. He says it looks just as new as when he put it in. I can NOT say the same about true oil. I don't mind getting under there and changing it every 3K, but other just like synthetic better.

I use Castrol GTX 5w30 in my SHO, and I change the oil every 3k and it does look pretty much new. As long as the motor is clean and you have regular oil changes no matter what oil you put in it will always come out rather clean. My explorer has a dirty motor from lack of oil changes in its history, but everytime I change it its cleaner and cleaner after 3k miles. Stay consistant with your oil changes every 3k or 3 months, and you will always have a clean running engine.

We've used 10W in every vehicle we've owned until we got the '02. But still use it in mine and the Chevy.

Please educate a newbee to the site. What are the benefits of synthetic oils? I see a lot of people that there X's are running synthetic throughout.

synthetic or not,

i've always seen it come out dirty

hartman, dont bother wasting your money to change back. 10w30 will be fine. synthetic maintains more fluidity in cold temps, thus it will still work just as good as 5w30 dino at cold starts. there really isnt enough difference in 10w30 vs. 5w30 to even warrant thinking about it. sorta like running 30psi of air in your tires vs. running 29.5 psi.

I did actually change back to regular 5w30 dino today. Why, you ask? Because I was very disappointed in the Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic I put in. The truck seemed very sluggish, more sluggish than usual, especially in the mornings. I also did not notice any increase in milage at all.

I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but my truck just seems more responsive with 5w30. Am I crazy?

Yes, you're crazy; but not for thinking that 5w30 dino is better ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am afrade its in your head.

There is no way dino oil has ever or will ever be as good as synthetic.

Back